• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F208 Tower Speaker Review

Astroboydivx

I listened to F208s at a dealer, and whilst they sounded very smooth and refined, I didn’t sense a wide soundstage. Is this more toe in related rather than a speaker flaw?

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I listened to F208s at a dealer, and whilst they sounded very smooth and refined, I didn’t sense a wide soundstage. Is this more toe in related rather than a speaker flaw?

My guess is that it was a room thing. Toe in does change soundstage a bit, but less so with wide dispersion speakers like the F208. In most rooms, they should have a very wide soundstage. If you want even wider, maybe the BMR Tower?

Pio

Forum Donor

Sounds like a room / recording flaw... “soundstage” is captured in the recording with great microphone placement, either live in a venue or in a literal sound stage where orchestra recordings happen at Abbey Road, AIR Studios, Skywalker Sound, etc. Many studio albums create the soundstage with panning, etc.
So, recording or an overly dead room with too much acoustic treatment for highs and mids ( a common mistake) was most likely the culprit..

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
200 hz is really too high a crossover unless your using really small mains, like under a single 6" woofer.
The great majority of systems will be happiest between 60-80 hz.
YMMV

Lsc

Not sure what the exact setup was but the F208 throws a big sound and it fills the room from my personal experience. You may have different expectations based on some of the other speakers you are comparing it to.

Also there is a little diffraction with the tweeter and the relative wide baffle on the F208 for what it’s worth. It’s the same thing with my F228Be. The F226Be (narrower baffle) and F328Be (new larger waveguide) don’t suffer the same.

SEKLEM

Hi Don,

Does it mean that if I offload all bass say below 200 Hz to subwoofers (via AVR's internal crossover) the dynamic range that my amplifier can produce will likely increase?

Thanks!

Naaah, just get a bigger amplifier.

CatDad

Great review! Highly considering these for home theater use. Does anyone on here sell these speakers? At the beginning of the review, Amir states that he is affiliated with Revel so are they sold on here? Please PM me if you know of someone here who has stellar deals on Revel products. I am very impressed by their off axis response! It looks like these are the ones to spring for over the F206s, even with dual subs. Also, would it be crazy to do F206s for surround duties or would something like the m106s be sufficient enough? I have always underestimated surrounds and don't want to make the same mistake again. Thanks for any help.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Great review! Highly considering these for home theater use. Does anyone on here sell these speakers? At the beginning of the review, Amir states that he is affiliated with Revel so are they sold on here? Please PM me if you know of someone here who has stellar deals on Revel products. I am very impressed by their off axis response! It looks like these are the ones to spring for over the F206s, even with dual subs. Also, would it be crazy to do F206s for surround duties or would something like the m106s be sufficient enough? I have always underestimated surrounds and don't want to make the same mistake again. Thanks for any help.
Purchase through dealer. Check dealers on Revel's website. Most dealers will negotiate price. Use 3 way center. If Revel center too expensive, Infinity has affordable 3 way. M106 for surrounds. Revel subs have not been tested on internet sites and are expensive. I suspect Revel subs have low distortion.

CatDad

Purchase through dealer. Check dealers on Revel's website. Most dealers will negotiate price. Use 3 way center. If Revel center too expensive, Infinity has affordable 3 way. M106 for surrounds. Revel subs have not been tested on internet sites and are expensive. I suspect Revel subs have low distortion.
Hey there and thank you for the reply. I have been in contact with a dealer so definitely wouldn't pay close to MSRP. I am either going to go with the F208 or F226Be. It is a home theater application so I'm not entirely sure if the "Be" series will be a huge upgrade over the F208s for my room. I am still considering it nonetheless from reading all of these fantastic reviews on ASR! Also, I do have Rhythmik FV18s with Paper Cones that will match up well with any of these speakers. Finally, I will get either the C208 center or the C246Be depending on what front floor standing speakers i ultimately decide on. If anyone has demoed the F226Be and the F208, please let me know your thoughts. Thanks! :)

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey there and thank you for the reply. I have been in contact with a dealer so definitely wouldn't pay close to MSRP. I am either going to go with the F208 or F226Be. It is a home theater application so I'm not entirely sure if the "Be" series will be a huge upgrade over the F208s for my room. I am still considering it nonetheless from reading all of these fantastic reviews on ASR! Also, I do have Rhythmik FV18s with Paper Cones that will match up well with any of these speakers. Finally, I will get either the C208 center or the C246Be depending on what front floor standing speakers i ultimately decide on. If anyone has demoed the F226Be and the F208, please let me know your thoughts. Thanks! :)
I have the 208s and couldn't be happier with their performance. Using them with both 2 channel via Freya+>Topping D70> Eval 1Purifi and HT with Onkyo RZ810>Purifi and Buckeye amp for surround duty. Opted for the Infinity RC263 but make sure you have the space for the 263- it's very tall and barely fit in my set up.

CatDad

I have the 208s and couldn't be happier with their performance. Using them with both 2 channel via Freya+>Topping D70> Eval 1Purifi and HT with Onkyo RZ810>Purifi and Buckeye amp for surround duty. Opted for the Infinity RC263 but make sure you have the space for the 263- it's very tall and barely fit in my set up.
Hey, glad to hear you love the 208s! I definitely know that I would love them too and they would be a big upgrade over what I had! For me personally, I like the LCR to match as closely as possible so I'm going to stick with Revel for the center. We use this room for about 80% Home Theater and since the center channel is about 80% of the movie, it is probably the most important speaker to us. This is why I am leaning towards getting the "Be Series" over the F208s. I'm sure the C208 is great but the C426Be is significantly better. Cheers!

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey, glad to hear you love the 208s! I definitely know that I would love them too and they would be a big upgrade over what I had! For me personally, I like the LCR to match as closely as possible so I'm going to stick with Revel for the center. We use this room for about 80% Home Theater and since the center channel is about 80% of the movie, it is probably the most important speaker to us. This is why I am leaning towards getting the "Be Series" over the F208s. I'm sure the C208 is great but the C426Be is significantly better. Cheers!
I'm sure you'll be happy with either. Enjoy!

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You have two pair or bypass the HT somehow for 2 channel?

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
I would go with 208 for the 8 inch woofer.

CatDad

I would go with 208 for the 8 inch woofer.
Even for home theater with 2x 18" subs? Any reason why? I just don't want to miss out on the extra goodies from the Be series, especially the center channel. I can only swing the F226Be or F208 so I have to consider between those. Thank you :)

Top Bottom