• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F208 Tower Speaker Review

QMuse

Major Contributor
Yes but be aware any by purpose build in design as non symetrical slope or time allignment will not get corrected right, now i don't say this to point any finger at anybody's nice speaker or such a case will sound bad but as a hint/tip that anyone should know can be pros and cons for a passive system using post phase correction, for this one it can look for woofer to mid region we see some mis allignment.
View attachment 63798

So, here's my IR (light green), minimum phase IR (light grey) and step (dark green), measured from 1m. As you can see IR and minimum phase IR are practically identical. There is some pre-ringing in step response as a result of phase adjustments betwen speakers to avoid bass cancellation, but it is not audible.

Capture.JPG

QMuse

Major Contributor
Same thing measured from LP, 4m away from speakers. It, of course, looks worse, because reflections. So yes, the more refelections you have in your room the harder you will be able to notice the subtle effects of time domain corrections.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All of the above :p

Actually, I was referring to the Revel specifications:

Salon2:
Crossover Frequencies Four-way, high-order acoustic response @150 Hz, 575 Hz, and 2.3 kHz
Low Frequency Extension -10 dB at 17 Hz -6 dB at 20 Hz -3 dB at 23 Hz
Sensitivity
86.4 dB

Studio2:
Crossover Frequencies Three-way, high-order acoustic response @ 230 Hz and 2 kHz
Low Frequency Extension -10 dB at 21 Hz -6 dB at 25 Hz -3 dB at 32 Hz
Sensitivity
87.7 dB SPL

F328Be:
Crossover frequencies 240Hz; 2.1kHz
Low-frequency extension 24Hz (-10dB); 26Hz (-6dB); 35Hz (-3dB)
Sensitivity (2.83V/1m) 91 dB

F228Be:
Crossover Frequencies 260Hz; 2.1kHz
Low-frequency extension: 23Hz (–10dB); 27Hz (–6dB); 31Hz (–3dB)
Sensitivity
90dB

F226Be:
Crossover frequencies 260Hz; 2.1kHz
Low-frequency extension 38Hz (–10dB); 44Hz (–6dB); 50Hz (–3dB)
Sensitivity 90 dB

In floor standing speakers, the Performa series requires half the power of the Ultima2.
That is not the whole story. The Salon2's dip below 4 ohms and I suspect that they are harder to drive.
If you don't drive them with an amplifier that remains linear under load and difficult phase angles they will not perform to specification.
Very few AVRs are tested into these loads and will not drive them well.

The Ultima2 have down-firing ports. The F328Be that is rear ported. The F208 and F228Be are front ported.

- Rich
Has anyone heard the “triple 8” ?
I suspect that -3db spec is a typo?

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone heard the “triple 8” ?
I suspect that -3db spec is a typo?

It is odd but the website and manual are in agreeance.
Also, the 328Be recommended power is 50 watts less.

F228BeManualSpecs.jpg
F328BeManualSpecs.jpg

The 328 has a rear mounted port, so that is wrong. Perhaps the LFE specs are also wrong.

- Rich

vavan

wrong lfe specs for 228 again

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
wrong lfe specs for 228 again
These are the published specs. If you have better specs, please post them.

- Rich

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
These are the published specs. If you have better specs, please post them.
- Rich
Count the woofers. Measure the height. :facepalm:

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So, here's my IR (light green), minimum phase IR (light grey) and step (dark green), measured from 1m. As you can see IR and minimum phase IR are practically identical. There is some pre-ringing in step response as a result of phase adjustments betwen speakers to avoid bass cancellation, but it is not audible.

View attachment 64223
Its fine looking graphs Qmuse and probably sound great, where we disagree is your impulse in my eyes deviate from textbook and you want to turn that problem to be a problem of method for time correction where i want it to be your speakers baked design or a user setting that little misuse or overcorrect the filter because we can or a not perfect calibrated measurement chain :) proof is if we output IR on below responses and import them to REW and do the math over there we end up nather pre ringing from the repair that should not be there and therefor i mean dont blame prerinng to time correction method for excess phase but user settings or misuse of user settings or physical baked speaker system behavour or ones measurement chain, and going 100% active for a speaker system as mitchco often suggest can help if theres any time trouble build into a passive system and one want to correct perfect on excess phase.

Qmuse_22.png

vavan

If you have better specs, please post them
according to Amir's measurements and avs post from Kevin Voecks (based on Mark Glazer work) f3 apparently is closer to 50Hz

Last edited:

QMuse

Major Contributor
Its fine looking graphs Qmuse and probably sound great, where we disagree is your impulse in my eyes deviate from textbook and you want to turn that problem to be a problem of method for time correction where i want it to be your speakers baked design or a user setting that little misuse or overcorrect the filter because we can or a not perfect calibrated measurement chain :) proof is if we output IR on below responses and import them to REW and do the math over there we end up nather pre ringing from the repair that should not be there and therefor i mean dont blame prerinng to time correction method for excess phase but user settings or misuse of user settings or physical baked speaker system behavour or ones measurement chain, and going 100% active for a speaker system as mitchco often suggest can help if theres any time trouble build into a passive system and one want to correct perfect on excess phase.

View attachment 64308

We were not talking about impulse response, but about pre-ringing in step response. My point explained here is that pre-ringing is an artificial artifact introduced by convolution engine processing certain types of FIR filters, and that type of artifact doesn't exist with any passive speaker no matter how bad designed it is. Which is totally understandable as there is nothing in passive speaker that can cause pre-ringing, as in order to get preringing a signal should start before the main signal started and that can be caused only with signal manipulation which passive crossover simply cannot do. Have you seen any passive speaker with pre-ringing artifact? :)

I don't see how the example you posted has anything to do with introducing pre-ringing in the context of phase correction. Here is a phase response of my left speaker. The "S" shaped artifact circled red has nothing to do with speaker's anechoic phase response but only with the position of the speaker in my room. My other speaker doesn't have such artifact in it's phase response. Still, it doesn't cause any pre-ringing by itself as I have shown in uncorrected step response posted before.

Capture.JPG

My point was that as soon as I start to apply filters with Q>=2 pre-ringing will occur, and to correct that S shape I would need at least 2 phase filters with Q much higher than 2.

And that was the only point of my initial post on that topic: pre-ringing doesn't exist with passive speakers but you can easilly introduce it when doing phase corrections with high Q filters, so it is not wise to chase pancake flat excess phase response as introducing pre-ringing would mean introducing audible artifacts which means much more damage than that is a benefit of flat excess phase.

Last edited:

DaveM

Sorry, I am a new member and didn’t go through all 29 pages of this review but noted that the single wire connection shown in the opening post doesn’t reflect Revel’s recommendation. The upper high frequency posts as shown for my Revels are recommended in both owner manuals. Not sure how this difference would change the objective measurements.

F6352E2A-493E-4668-89AB-2E9DA1BC0923.jpeg

QMuse

Major Contributor
Sorry, I am a new member and didn’t go through all 29 pages of this review but noted that the single wire connection shown in the opening post doesn’t reflect Revel’s recommendation. The upper high frequency posts as shown for my Revels are recommended in both owner manuals. Not sure how this difference would change the objective measurements.

View attachment 67285

It wouldn't.

Karu

Forum Donor
in room measurements, but the slope looks steep, so something might be wrong in measurements (MMM, pink noise periodic, 1/6)

edit: removed graphs, forgot to set 1/48

Attachments

• Left.jpg
    Left.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 207
  • Right.jpg
    Right.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
in room measurements, but the slope looks steep, so something might be wrong in measurements (MMM, pink noise periodic, 1/6)
Please check the REW RTA settings, they should be RTA 1/48 Octave and not Spectrum.

Top Bottom