• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel C426Be significantly better than C208?

chris760

Forum Donor
My current setup is Revel F208 Fronts and a C208 center. I see there is a heck of a sale on all Revel speakers at the moment and I am eyeing the C426Be. Is it possible to swap this for the C208 and have it match enough with the F208s? Has anyone demoed these two centers side by side? Is there a significant difference for the price?

TankTop

I’m no expert but your AVR will adjust that center down to the F208’s output. Obviously, it will be an improvement over your current center channel, but it would be better to match it with other speakers in the BE lineup.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have not tested the C426Be but with double the number of drivers, it should easily outperform the C208 in dynamics. Whether you notice that in a system with a subwoofer and high pass, is hard to tell. As for matching, all Revel speakers are tuned to neutral response so I would not worry about that.

nerdoldnerdith

Yes the C426Be is a better speaker. The larger midrange with the lower crossover means it has better horizontal directivity than most center channels including the F208.

OP
chris760

chris760

Forum Donor
nerdoldnerdith can you ELI5 how the better horizontal directivity would be helpful in a HT setup?

OP
chris760

chris760

Forum Donor
Thank you for the good point amirm. My setup is mainly for HT and I am running a Funk Audio 21.0 subwoofer. Maybe C208 is already overkill. I absolutely love the thing, just wanted to make sure I was not missing anything with its more expensive sibling.

OP
chris760

chris760

Forum Donor
I also see older vocie2's for sale for around the same price. Would a voice 2 be a better option over the 426Be?

nerdoldnerdith

I also see older vocie2's for sale for around the same price. Would a voice 2 be a better option over the 426Be?
No. The C426Be is the best center channel Revel makes.
nerdoldnerdith can you ELI5 how the better horizontal directivity would be helpful in a HT setup?
It means it is a better speaker overall. It will sound better in your room and draw less attention to itself. If the listening window is wide, listeners sitting off to the side will get a better sound.

nerdoldnerdith

A third F208 would be better than anything as a center channel. A M106 would sound better but not give you as much output. It might work depending on your setup. If it's just you listening you could get rid of the center channel entirely (controversial, I know).

OP
chris760

chris760

Forum Donor
Thanks for the detailed responses nerdoldnerdith. I see an open box C426be on crutchfield for pretty cheap. I will give it a listen. Unfortunately I don't have room for a full F208 on its side for my center :D

nerdoldnerdith

Thanks for the detailed responses nerdoldnerdith. I see an open box C426be on crutchfield for pretty cheap. I will give it a listen. Unfortunately I don't have room for a full F208 on its side for my center :D
No, a F208 standing up lol. Definitely don't put a tower speaker on its side. That is worse than any center channel. You can try comparing your C208 to the phantom center you get with the F208's and the C208 turned off. You might actually prefer it.

Top Bottom