• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Replacing a Harman Kardon 3490

strtj

I picked up a Yamaha HTR-5590 AV receiver to use as my main amp in place of my Harman Kardon 3490 that over time has failed to impress me. In theory I can disable all of the processing on the Yamaha with "Pure Direct" mode, which disables all of the DSP functions, and on paper the Yamaha has better THD stats than the HK. I don't need a full 100 watts of power, I'm listening in a room that is approximately 12x12x9. Am I crazy to be using a home theater receiver with most of its marketing flash disabled?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I picked up a Yamaha HTR-5590 AV receiver to use as my main amp in place of my Harman Kardon 3490 that over time has failed to impress me. In theory I can disable all of the processing on the Yamaha with "Pure Direct" mode, which disables all of the DSP functions, and on paper the Yamaha has better THD stats than the HK. I don't need a full 100 watts of power, I'm listening in a room that is approximately 12x12x9. Am I crazy to be using a home theater receiver with most of its marketing flash disabled?
Well if it works for you, why not?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR. If you are happy with your setup, enjoy it. Who are we to say otherwise? :)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure a lot of users don't use all the features.

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Nothing wrong with that approach.

But just curious, is the Yamaha doing something better than the HK was, according to your ears?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
this is strange one

i googled and this is a 2003 Yamaha AVR and a 2010 stereo HK so if the OP has access to cheap old junk than fair enough? I have a old Pioneer and Sony crap boxes in the garage etc.

its really hard to say except to test it out... i personally have no love for older Yamahas in any guise but HK has a good rep in stereo receivers

OP
strtj

strtj

The HK has not held up well over time; the noise floor has become very audible and I found that the phono stage on my NAD 1240 was far better than the one in the HK. Is there a specific reason that Yamaha receivers are not well liked?

And yes, I suppose my budget level is generally "cheap old junk" but I'm trying to maximize what I can get out of that.

Top Bottom