• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rega DAC-R DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 242 72.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 71 21.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 10 3.0%

• Total voters

Tangband

Major Contributor
rega people like the rega sound

that's it

this unit does have a remote... there's a manual too

lot of reviews.... what hifi loves it, so does stereophile stereonet and even darko so i dont know whats wrong with ASR not liking it.. inconceivable!
This Rega R dac dont use any IC at the analog output. Its a discreet design. It mirrors the sound of an older Linn Klimax DS, almost the same dacs used ( Wolfson 8742 and 8741) and using filter 2 on the rega has about the same filter caracteristics as a Klimax.

Regarding the Rega , its a very polite sound without any digital glare combined with a very good and tight bass drive .
Maybe a coloration, but its a good one:)

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
rega people like the rega sound

that's it

this unit does have a remote... there's a manual too

lot of reviews.... what hifi loves it, so does stereophile stereonet and even darko so i dont know whats wrong with ASR not liking it.. inconceivable!
I dont like their amplifiers.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I dont like their amplifiers.
We discussed this I believe - they need 45 minutes or so to stabilise and tame a 'liveliness' up top - this over several samples of most models over the years, even the Osiris 'Reference Range' model. Those using an Elys 2 or Exact 2 pickup won't ever notice though although the upper model Apheta cartridges will show it ;) Oops, wrong thread really, sorry :facepalm:

Nothing to see here chaps, move along, move along :D

P.S. Maybe none of you would understand this, but it's damned painful to see icon brands like this gradually taken down, but that's life I suppose.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So it seems to have very similar performance to this thing I've had for a few years, if you compare the reviews.

Difference is, this dates from 2 years earlier (2013) and cost me about £50 when I got it.

Similarly the contrast between the Rega, and the one reviewed immediately prior, couldn't be more stark.

IMG_9502.jpeg

Last edited:

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So it seems to have very similar performance to this thing I've had for a few years, if you compare the reviews.

Difference is, this dates from 2 years earlier (2013) and cost me about £50 when I got it.

The contrast between this device, and the one reviewed immediately prior, couldn't be more stark.

Yeah, but have you heard of the very original Russell's Teapot arguments from golden ears yet?

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I kind-of knew this day would come :mad:

Rega prices are obscenely high away from the UK market and visuals aside @Mart68, you'd need to sit down and properly evaluate a Technics modern vinyl deck with a Rega 3, let alone a 6 which may not have as good a drive, but the RB330 arm is in a different world - and does actually measure close to the very best in terms of friction and resonances which the Technics tonearms never will!
I have done exactly that comparison!

The Rega owner was...dispirited.

Yeah, tonearms, but they can be changed.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I own one of these. Sounds fine. Far too big and feature limited. Clearly not worth the price then or now.

EDIT- mine might be the V1 Think it might have just been the DAC- not the DAC R.

It has the 5 filter options on the front

Very much doubt it performs better than this though.

Last edited:

ocinn

Beyond the poor performance which I won’t even bother commenting on… What is going on with that case design?

Looks like someone drove over it. Or a vinyl record left out in the sun unsupported… and the bottom isn’t even convex, so it’s not like the curves would match/mesh in a stacked config??

Rega has made some pretty solid turntables over the years but this is just plain old embarrassing.

Alexa… play another one bites the dust by queen

Leeken

Not for me at all,but I suppose that it appeals massively sound wise to fans of the brand,so for the fans of the brand and the company it’s a golfing panther,one man’s trash is another man’s treasure etc

DSJR

Major Contributor
If you are looking for a pure performance racing motorcycle you usually do not shop for a Harley. I think this is the same for Rega audio equipment. Sorry for having an opinion.
Can I suggest something which may be shared by Jason at Schiit? Maybe for the Rega designer, doing a discrete output stage is better for his soul than just slapping in a chip or two on the output? I suspect the distortion in the DAC-R is all or mostly in the analogue output stage? Jason seems to have shown how he can design a discrete stage to not disgrace itself in simpler op-amp territory, but the Rega really is from an earlier age where 'good enough' is all that's needed perhaps? I'd all but forgotten about measurements until more recent semi-retirement times when I discovered the Sereophile tests and now here and so on. Few UK dealers would care let alone visit to read here and that's very sad.

In a subjective practical sense, the DAC-R improves the Apollo R player sonically, I could never hear any difference in the filters but I have to say that when visiting my dealer pal, the Saturn R player was the box of choice to play CD's on (Lord knows how that one performs and you know something, these days I really don't want to know!).

As for me, I'm comfortable that an SMSL SU-1 will do the decoding job perfectly for my needs, technically and sonically and, being a little black box, I can hide it away so *nobody* can see it :D

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Not for me at all,but I suppose that it appeals massively sound wise to fans of the brand,so for the fans of the brand and the company it’s a golfing panther,one man’s trash is another man’s treasure etc
A fanboy is strongly biased towards the brand by definition. As always a properly conducted level matched blind comparison would almost certainly bust the myth of the "brand sound".

Tangband

Major Contributor
I dont care which brand I use - If the music sounds better to me, it is better. Maybe thats why I have a WiiM pro, a second hand Rega dac R combined with a new hypex ncore amplifier. I would switch immediately if I found something that makes music listening more enjoyable in my system. This summer I had a Rega amplifier for comparison and the hypex was clearly superior, just as the Rega dac R was superior sounding to my Yamaha wxc50 dac. Big differences.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
2015 isn't even that old... 100dB SINAD was already easily available - I bought my Xonar DX in... 2011? Wow time flies.
That's a 2008-9 one,not then,today,this very minute after all this years of (hard) use :

192.PNG

2015 DACs were doing much-much better.

Top Bottom