• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Got a DMP-A6 sold CXN v2 but..

curael

Hi guys,
I just got a DMP-A6 (regular version) and sold my CXN v2. I had to sell it before getting the DMP-A6 and I sorta bought the DMP-A6 blindly as it's not really available to listen to here in little Denmark. At least not where I live.

I know the CXN v2 had Wolfson DACs. The DMP has Sabers.. The CXN v2 had more punch in the vocals. Is it just part of the Saber DACs that the vocals are more behind the rest of the audio image? I feel like most vocals sound a little lower and less forthcoming than on the CXN v2. Would the Master edition do any difference in terms of this? I'm sorry, I've only had the CXN v2 and nothing else to compare the EverSolo to. At the moment I feel like people saying it's the device to beat under 1000 confuses me a bit. I guess the CXN v2 is just a bit over 1000 bucks - perhaps that's where I went wrong? Or maybe I just really like the Cambridge sound? I've never owned anything else from Cambridge so I dunno if it's just cause I was used to the sound or not. But I feel like the DMP sounds a little more thin in the mids. - I'd happily pay a little more for the Master edition if it would add a little more body to the mids.

What do you think? And sorry again, I don't have a lot of experience with DAC chips and how they are supposed to sound. If someone could add some experiences to the Master or in general just if the Wolfson's actually just do have more warmth or body or whatever you'd call it. I think sometimes the DMP sounds almost clinical or sterile.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You had sold your existing dac before the new unit arrived?
The answer is right there.
Vintage Flankers measurements of your old dac,

Keith

OP
C

curael

You had sold your existing dac before the new unit arrived?
The answer is right there.
Keith
Yeah I.. Yeah. I wanted to try it and couldn't afford to buy before I sold the old one. But I'd be able to try something different now so I just wanted to know if the upgrades in the Master edition would alter anything soundwise. Or maybe the new A8 with the AKM DACs was worth waiting for but I have a feeling that's going to break the bank too. Hehe. Anyways, just asking for thoughts. :)

Thanks for the link! So it is warmth in those Wolfsons. Mhm mhm. Maybe I just like that then.

Last edited:
OP
C

curael

I'm struggling to see how the DMP-A6 is an upgrade over the CXN-V2

OP, why did you want to make the change anyway?
I understand. So was I. I was feeling adventurous I guess. Just had to try something new. It probably wasn't an upgrade. Everyone just kept giving it wild reviews everywhere so I was very interested in it. :) It just sounds so very, very different. I didn't expect such a big difference in characteristics I guess is what I'm trying to say. Then again, it's my second device so I didn't really know what to expect. :)

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The point is without the old unit to compare to you are simply guessing, from the measurements I would suggest there will be no difference whatsoever and no the ‘master edition’ will not make the slightest difference.
Keith

OP
C

curael

The point is without the old unit to compare to you are simply guessing, from the measurements I would suggest there will be no difference whatsoever and no the ‘master edition’ will not make the slightest difference.
Keith
You're probably right. I just think the music I usually listen to sounds different now. But I can't compare A/B. It could be placebo. Thanks for grounding me.

Ray77

Hi guys,
I just got a DMP-A6 (regular version) and sold my CXN v2. I had to sell it before getting the DMP-A6 and I sorta bought the DMP-A6 blindly as it's not really available to listen to here in little Denmark. At least not where I live.

I know the CXN v2 had Wolfson DACs. The DMP has Sabers.. The CXN v2 had more punch in the vocals. Is it just part of the Saber DACs that the vocals are more behind the rest of the audio image? I feel like most vocals sound a little lower and less forthcoming than on the CXN v2. Would the Master edition do any difference in terms of this? I'm sorry, I've only had the CXN v2 and nothing else to compare the EverSolo to. At the moment I feel like people saying it's the device to beat under 1000 confuses me a bit. I guess the CXN v2 is just a bit over 1000 bucks - perhaps that's where I went wrong? Or maybe I just really like the Cambridge sound? I've never owned anything else from Cambridge so I dunno if it's just cause I was used to the sound or not. But I feel like the DMP sounds a little more thin in the mids. - I'd happily pay a little more for the Master edition if it would add a little more body to the mids.

What do you think? And sorry again, I don't have a lot of experience with DAC chips and how they are supposed to sound. If someone could add some experiences to the Master or in general just if the Wolfson's actually just do have more warmth or body or whatever you'd call it. I think sometimes the DMP sounds almost clinical or sterile.
I don't have the issue of vocals being behind the soundstage. Main vocals sound slightly forward of the instruments (as they should). Background vocals are in the background. My DMP-A6 provides more of everything compared to a Bluesound Node 2i or a WiiM Mini - more dynamics/detail/imaging/etc. Maybe try one of the many digital filters. Based on the ASR review of the A6, I chose Fast Rolloff-Minimum. There are no EQ adjustments on the A6 but it sounds like the mid-range frequencies are a bit muted. Try running a frequency sweep thru the A6 and measure the frequency response at your speakers with a spectrum analyzer App on your smartphone/tablet. Also check your digital volume control works properly and isn't on passthrough mode (to an external DAC). I'm sure if this was a common problem with the A6, the Eversolo user forum would have picked this up. Wouldn't hurt to drop your question to that forum as well.

scottm_dj

This is a very interesting thread. Because the CXN (even V2) use that Wolfson DAC that's about a hundred years old :)... I didn't even really consider it. But this is a case where DAC implementation is just one part of the equation...

The other reason I didn't consider is because it's basically the same innards of my Cambridge 752 Blu-ray player I still have from 10 years ago! I wish I could just add the Stream Magic module to that! But the CXN keeps getting accolades for some reason... so it must be doing something right.

From what I hear the ES Master edition does sound a bit better if you have the system to resolve it... AND YOU USE ITS ANALOG OUTS! But IMHO you should save up a *bit* more and get the new DMP A8..which Includes all the master edition upgrades and then some. That is pretty much going to blow everything else away at the price point with that high-end AKM chipset it's tricked out with

Last edited:

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Cxn v2 might have a old dac chip.. but like the review suggests and confirms with measurements, it’s transparent. So who cares if the chip is old.

I considered selling my CXN v2 as well but the. A6 has no airplay2 , the matrix mini i4 has a bad hdmi cec implementation and is not roon ready (yet).

So maybe stick with something that works.
(And Cambridge is still supporting the unit with updates, years after it was released)

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
This is a very interesting thread. Because the CXN (even V2) use that Wolfson DAC that's about a hundred years old :)... I didn't even really consider it. But this is a case where DAC implementation is just one part of the equation...

The other reason I didn't consider is because it's basically the same innards of my Cambridge 752 Blu-ray player I still have from 10 years ago! I wish I could just add the Stream Magic module to that! But the CXN keeps getting accolades for some reason... so it must be doing something right.

From what I hear the ES Master edition does sound a bit better if you have the system to resolve it... AND YOU USE ITS ANALOG OUTS! But IMHO you should save up a *bit* more and get the new DMP A8..which Includes all the master edition upgrades and then some. That is pretty much going to blow everything else away at the price point with that high-end AKM chipset it's tricked out with
I compared the two standard and master unsighted and I couldn’t hear any difference .
I have the A-8 and I didn’t hear any difference with that compared to the A-6 master but it does have some potentially useful extra features.
Keith

scottm_dj

I've since done a ton of research and considering I still have the Oppo 205 I won't use many of the features in the A8. It appears unlike the A6 you cannot fully bypass the volume because it is meant as more of a preamp. Also they changed the really useful multi-channel HDMI into an i2s (stereo) which I would never use... So it's now looking like I'm going to pick up the A6. A good friend of mine is now coincidentally an Eversolo dealer.

Top Bottom