• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Reducing Number of Electronic Devices

Nicoff

Forum Donor
I am in the process of relocating my electronic devices into a cabinet. I currently have five (5) devices as follows:
  • Turntable
  • Phono-Preamp (Parasound JC3 Jr)
  • Raspberry Pi 3 (running Ropieee for Roon and Spotify)
  • DAC (T+A DAC8 DSD)
  • Preamp (Topping Pre90)
While I can fit these 5 devices into the cabinet, I am looking for suggestions in how to reduce the number of components/devices to avoid clutter (and heat) while adding functionality (like DSP room correction) WITHOUT degrading the signal path. For example, it looks as if I could use an Okto dac8 stereo DAC to replace two devices (Rpi3 and T+A DAC) with one (1) device.

One requirement is that the output to the amps must be balanced connectors.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you!

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just a side note, make sure the cabinet has good ventilation so you don't hot box your equipment!

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry this one has all the same stuff as the one above except the amps. Read both reviews because the ASR one is old.

OP
N

Nicoff

Forum Donor
Just a side note, make sure the cabinet has good ventilation so you don't hot box your equipment!
Thank you! Yes, taking that into account. I am able to keep the cabinet door open when listening to music.

OP
N

Nicoff

Forum Donor
Sorry this one has all the same stuff as the one above except the amps. Read both reviews because the ASR one is old.
Thank you for the clarification. Would this one device (MiniDSP SHD) replace three components (Phono Preamp, Raspberry Pi, and DAC)?
The only thing I see missing is a 12v trigger to turn on the amps but there might be a way around that.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the clarification. Would this one device (MiniDSP SHD) replace three components (Phono Preamp, Raspberry Pi, and DAC)?
The only thing I see missing is a 12v trigger to turn on the amps but there might be a way around that.
The only issue is the phono amp as the SHD has only digital inputs but there those use phono preamps with digital outs and say its great. Remember LP playback has lots of quirks. Read the SHD Power review and tests and forget the amp part. People also like the WiiM Pro but it has a less sophisticated DSP.

OP
N

Nicoff

Forum Donor
The only issue is the phono amp as the SHD has only digital inputs but there those use phono preamps with digital outs and say its great. Remember LP playback has lots of quirks. Read the SHD Power review and tests and forget the amp part. People also like the WiiM Pro but it has a less sophisticated DSP.
The SHD does have analog inputs. I could connect my phono preamp to it. So technically, it could replace two devices (Rpi3 and DAC). However, the SHD lacks a 12v trigger.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
NAD M66 is expensive but it could replace everything but the turn table.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
However, the SHD lacks a 12v trigger.
Smart plugs or power strip? I think they make them where it senses power and turns on/off some additional outlets.

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Smart plugs or power strip? I think they make them where it senses power and turns on/off some additional outlets.

This would be my my personal choice as well, ideally linked to Alexa (or something similar), so I can set up more complex routines.

Edit: Ideally with everything protected behind a properly rated surge protector!

Last edited:
OP
N

Nicoff

Forum Donor
NAD M66 is expensive but it could replace everything but the turn table.
Thank you! Will look into it. So this one can replace the phono preamp? (I have a MC cartridge on my TT)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you! Will look into it. So this one can replace the phono preamp? (I have a MC cartridge on my TT)
The M66 takes MC natively. I hope your budget can handle it since the M66 costs $5500 plus sales tax.

Last edited:
OP
N

Nicoff

Forum Donor
The M66 takes MC natively. I hope your budget can handle it since the M66 costs $5500 plus sales tax.
Thank you for confirming. The net cost would be lower since I could sell three components (preamp, phono preamp, and DAC) to help pay for it.
Any objective reviews on the M66?

Fred H

Forum Donor
I tried this approach with my Flex Digital, but it didn't draw enough current to turn the amp on. So I use a remote control outlet to do so.

OP
N

Nicoff

Forum Donor
I tried this approach with my Flex Digital, but it didn't draw enough current to turn the amp on. So I use a remote control outlet to do so.
I was wondering about that. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Top Bottom