• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommended USB interface? (ADC/DAC)

antonio123

Hi, I'm searching to buy a USB interface that I can use for two purposes:

1) Play HD music from a Raspberry Pi through usb and connecting the (line) output to an amplifier.
2) Record music from my turntable (through my iFi Zen phono preamp, so it needs to have a line input) to a Raspberry Pi/laptop on HD

It would only be used with Linux, so it needs to be USB Audio Class (aren't all usb interfaces?)
I don't need phantom mic inputs, guitar inputs, more than 2 (stereo) inputs/outputs, etc. (but I don't mind if those are options as long as I can ignore them :) ). What I would like to have is the best possible audio quality (both playing and recording from line output/inputs) so it should support at least 192kHz, 24 bits and have as low noise and distortion as possible.

I might use it to record from a synthesizer (which wouldn't be that different from recording from the phono preamp since both would use the same line input) and MIDI connectors would be nice although not completely a requirement.

I've seen the MOTU M4 seems to be a good option with good scores, but I wonder... is there any better USB interface recommendation around that price range? (< 300€ maybe 400€ if it's really really worth it).

I don't use balanced cables (all my cables are quite short so I don't think those are really neded) so I mainly use RCA connectors. I think I'll have to use a pair of RCA to 6.3mm jack adapters with the MOTU M4, right?

Thanks!

phoenixsong

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you don't need all those features, something from RME might serve you better

Top Bottom