• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

self powered DAC's and AMPS

jindy30

Hi I wanted to get a self powered usb-c interface (one that has a plug on it), as opposed to a usb bus powered. Much like the tascam 102i.

I dont need the inputs just the DAC really iike the peavey usb-p.

Any ideas of good ones that can give a nominal balanced stereo line level output to a power amp. It needs to be class compliant to work with Protools.

Thanks Jonathan

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got recently a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface and on Amazon they're on sale version one for $79. USB powered and 1/4 inch balanced RCA out. The amp on it has power too, the Sennheiser HD700 could only hit 50 percent volume before it was too loud. Steal at that price.

OP
J

jindy30

I got recently a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface and on Amazon they're on sale version one for $79. USB powered and 1/4 inch balanced RCA out. The amp on it has power too, the Sennheiser HD700 could only hit 50 percent volume before it was too loud. Steal at that price.
The scarlet is usb powered, i want an interface that has plug on it basically.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

virtua

Have a look at the Focusrite Clarett+ range.

Sokel

Master Contributor
He probably means that he doesn't want external adapter?

staticV3

Master Contributor
@jindy30 SMSL has many DACs with differential Line out, that are mains-powered.

Take a look at the D-6, D-6s, DO100.

OP
J

jindy30

Thanks these look good, and have been tried and tested over a

Thank you for these recomendations. I think i am going to get the MOTU/M2. Athough I dont need the inputs as this interface is for playback only it seems SMSL. or Toppings, et al, have reoccuring issues with pops, cracking, and static. I am sure these issues are solveable but i reallly need some reliabilty as i dont have the time to experiment, and deep dive into drives, and filters. Plug and play. Do "we" know the source of these issues. are they just one off units or are the issues more to do with chip design/computer compatabiity. i prefer something class compliant as i will be interfaceing this device with AVID Protools.

Anyway, i need an AMP also so i think i can get a bit more open minded with this and am looking at the "audiophile" options. I have 100W 8 Ohm speakers.

Cheers

Jonathan

Top Bottom