• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendations for DAC with 2 Coax inputs

DPavs

Hello All!

I've been lurking and reading reviews for a while but as of today I am a new member.

I have been reading a number of well reviewed DAC's in the past few months here but all the ones I have seen only have 1 coax, optical and USB.

I am hoping for some recommendations regarding a DAC under $300.00 that has 2 coax inputs or 1 coax and 1 BNC at a minimum. For my needs optical is fine to have aslo and I really have no need for a USB input. Outputs can be either RCA or XLR.

Thanks for the help and recommendations!

My 2.0 system-
Rouge Audio Chronus Magnum
Onkyo 7030 CD
Wiim Pro Plus (Stream mostly from Amazon Unlimited)
Monitor Audio S8
Dayton Audio 10" Sub
Current DAC - Eastern Electric Minimax DAC (notorious for not being able to lock signal over 96/24)

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some of the SMSL dacs around $400-$500 have coax and AES3 inputs you can use an adapter for the AES3 to BNC.

SMSL DO 300

staticV3

Master Contributor
There are small $10 boxes that can turn the Toslink input into a second Coax input:
71L5cp2Y--L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Simply search for "Toslink Coax converter".

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Doesn't the CD player have optical out? Most do.

OP
D

DPavs

Doesn't the CD player have optical out? Most do.
It does but it developed what sounds like clipping issue a while back and as the coax works fine I haven't replaced it as it makes for a pretty good transport otherwise.

Last edited:
OP
D

DPavs

Does anyone have any other recommendations regarding a DAC with multiple inputs as per my original post?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Appreciate the idea and I've thought about converters but would prefer to keep it simple with a more direct signal path. Thanks!
Remember that when we talk about sending digital data, the concept of "signal path" is pretty meaningless.

OP
D

DPavs

Remember that when we talk about sending digital data, the concept of "signal path" is pretty meaningless.

I don't think that signal path is ever meaningless because elementally it simply refers to the route or path that the signal takes as it travels through a system or device.
That said, I think what you are saying is that adding a device like a converter to the path is not known to add jitter or audibly change anything which I do not necessarily disagree with but results from Rja4000's test may controvert the absolute truth of this.

All that said, it's really just a preference thing for me to keep a clean and simple path from the Digital device to the DAC and from the DAC to the PreAmp\Amp. No science here just preference!

Last edited:

fuzzy_logic

The Cambridge Audio Dacmagic 100 has 2 coax inputs:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I don't think that signal path is ever meaningless because elementally it simply refers to the route or path that the signal takes as it travels through a system or device.
It's data, not a "signal" in the usual sense. A pdf of War and Peace will yield the same text, font, and pagination independent of how many times it gets sent from device to device. If you're just itching to buy new stuff, cool, but your reasoning is not supported by evidence. Remember the conclusion of the post you cited:

I still think we may trust those devices to do exactly what you want them to do.

Top Bottom