• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation request thread

sounds_et_al

Requesting recommendations for two sets of cans...

Budget: $300-400 USD each

Form Factor: Over the ear, closed back...maybe open for casual listening?

Use case: 1 for music production (recording/mixing) and 1 for casual listening

Source information: 1/4'' jack on audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 18i8) and integrated amp (Cambridge Audio AXA35). 3.5mm on mobile device. Spotify premium and records for casual listening. Logic Pro X for music production. No headphone amp.

Things that are important to you: Comfort, quality materials, detachable cable, wireless/bluetooth for casual listening. High volume without distorting. Wouldn't hurt to have a case or pouch included.

Your preferred sound signature/other headphones you've tried and liked/disliked: Neutral/flat sound for music production. Current cans are ATHM40x. I'll leave it open for casual listening but like punchy/tight bass. I mainly listen to metal, instrumental guitar.

Anything else you feel might be relevant: Integrated amp manual suggests headphone impedance between 32 and 600 ohms. Max for the audio interface is 250 ohms. Thanks in advance!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Requesting recommendations for two sets of cans...

Budget: $300-400 USD each

Form Factor: Over the ear, closed back...maybe open for casual listening?

Use case: 1 for music production (recording/mixing) and 1 for casual listening

Source information: 1/4'' jack on audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 18i8) and integrated amp (Cambridge Audio AXA35). 3.5mm on mobile device. Spotify premium and records for casual listening. Logic Pro X for music production. No headphone amp.

Things that are important to you: Comfort, quality materials, detachable cable, wireless/bluetooth for casual listening. High volume without distorting. Wouldn't hurt to have a case or pouch included.

Your preferred sound signature/other headphones you've tried and liked/disliked: Neutral/flat sound for music production. Current cans are ATHM40x. I'll leave it open for casual listening but like punchy/tight bass. I mainly listen to metal, instrumental guitar.

Anything else you feel might be relevant: Integrated amp manual suggests headphone impedance between 32 and 600 ohms. Max for the audio interface is 250 ohms. Thanks in advance!
I think you should go for one set of cans rather than two, because if we assume we're striving for best accuracy of sound throughout the frequency range then that is the headphone that is gonna be most enjoyable as well as most accurate for music production.....although I think the one exception to this is with the "soundstage" parameter, as I find a very tonally accurate headphone like the HD600 lacks soundstage and therefore lacks enjoyment for me. The wireless parameter might mean you'll want two sets though, as wireless cuts down your options & may not provide the accuracy you need for music production, but we'll cross that bridge.

I think we need to know if you're gonna be using EQ on your headphones? Have you ever tried one of Oratory's Harman EQ's of the many headphones he's measured? Do you like the Headphone Harman Curve? If you have & you know you like the Harman Curve, then choosing a headphone that sounds great without EQ is not as important, so will influence your buying decisions.......and also because it would mean you'd want to choose a headphone that's been measured by Oratory (or Amir or Crinacle).

EDIT: Oratory has measured your ATHM40x headphone, so try his EQ out on your headphone, do you like it? Here is the EQ, EQ'd to the Headphone Harman Curve.....you may not need to buy anymore headphones now:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/argrz6rfl3l5a0i/Audio Technica ATH-M40x.pdf?dl=0

Last edited:

sounds_et_al

I think we need to know if you're gonna be using EQ on your headphones? Have you ever tried one of Oratory's Harman EQ's of the many headphones he's measured? Do you like the Headphone Harman Curve? If you have & you know you like the Harman Curve, then choosing a headphone that sounds great without EQ is not as important, so will influence your buying decisions.......and also because it would mean you'd want to choose a headphone that's been measured by Oratory (or Amir or Crinacle).

EDIT: Oratory has measured your ATHM40x headphone, so try his EQ out on your headphone, do you like it? Here is the EQ, EQ'd to the Headphone Harman Curve.....you may not need to buy anymore headphones now:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/argrz6rfl3l5a0i/Audio Technica ATH-M40x.pdf?dl=0

Thanks for the reply! I haven't used EQ but definitely open to it. Not familiar with the Harman Curve either. Got some more reading to do. Going to look at the dropbox link now. Thanks again!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the reply! I haven't used EQ but definitely open to it. Not familiar with the Harman Curve either. Got some more reading to do. Going to look at the dropbox link now. Thanks again!
Here's the link to all the different headphones he's measured: https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets

Research the Harman Curve for headphones on this site (here on audiosciencereview), there's plenty of information. Try the EQ, then come back here if you still want to buy new headphones, you might not need/want to after you've EQ'd your ATHM40x.

Buffo

Hi all. Been lurking for ages and now seeking your advice. I'm looking for a bit of a unicorn: a light, comfortable, open backed headphone with good sub-bass extension. It must rumble! Happy to EQ with Wavelet on Android.

Budget: 500 USD

Form factor: Open back

Use case: Casual listening while at work

Source information: Xduoo XD05 plus, Canyon N3 pro

Things that are important to you: Must be light and comfortable. They need to float on my head!

Your preferred sound signature/other headphones you've tried and liked/disliked: I listen to downtempo ambient and I'm looking for nice rumbling sub-bass. I'm used to closed back headphones, most recently T60RP Argons.

Other info: I have the HE4XX but they're too heavy and give me a hotspot on my head after half an hour.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all. Been lurking for ages and now seeking your advice. I'm looking for a bit of a unicorn: a light, comfortable, open backed headphone with good sub-bass extension. It must rumble! Happy to EQ with Wavelet on Android.

Things that are important to you: Must be light and comfortable. They need to float on my head!

Your preferred sound signature/other headphones you've tried and liked/disliked: I listen to downtempo ambient and I'm looking for nice rumbling sub-bass. I'm used to closed back headphones, most recently T60RP Argons.

Other info: I have the HE4XX but they're too heavy and give me a hotspot on my head after half an hour.

Thanks in advance.

Matt
I'm not gonna give you a whole detailed load of advice (I did in the end but only one recommendation), because as you say you're talking about a unicorn really, but there are some that are closer than others. The first one that comes to mind when you say open back / light & comfortable / & deep bass is the AKG K7XX:
AKG K7XX frequency response.jpg

I mean just look at the amount of bass on that headphone without EQ, top left of the pic. Then in the top right check out how well it hugs the whole Harman Curve down to 20Hz after EQ, as well as how smoothly & accurately it follows in the treble! I own two pairs of AKG K702..........the K7XX is essentially the same design so I think you can expect the K7XX to be super comfortable to wear for long periods. Yep, here's the K7XX:
https://drop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-headphones

In fact, I'm gonna stop there because I don't know a headphone that would fit your bill better. I have to say I've not listened to that headphone, but I will say K702 is my favourite headphone, and they share some similarities of design.

EDIT: looking on Solderdude's website, it's showing that there is some relatively large effects from not getting a good seal on the headphone, if you wear glasses for instance:
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/akg/k7xx-massdrop/
Perfect seal, a small seal breach by thin armed (reading) glasses just above the skin, thick armed glasses and a big seal breach.
1621113312157.png

(note that Solderdude uses a flat plate rather than an "artificial ear" to measure the headphones so the frequency responses look different above 1kHz compared to the frequency response measurements of Oratory & Amir for instance....so pay more attention to Oratory's measurements for above 1kHz).
Distortion is nice & low according to solderdude too (I think that's measured at 90dB):
1621113581817.png

K7XX looks good from the measurements overall in terms of fitting your bill, and especially seeing as you're gonna be doing parametric EQ on them, because you'd want to get rid of the large hump between 100Hz-500Hz as this would make the headphone sound muddy otherwise.
Oratory's EQ for the K7XX:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fa9gm1am98ndkqj/AKG K7XX.pdf?dl=0
https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets

EDIT #2: I also own the HE4XX you mentioned, and indeed the K702 (and by extension the K7XX) is more comfortable & lighter to wear than the HE4XX.....it's lighter, makes your ears less warm, and clamping force is less severe.

Last edited:

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor

Thanks in advance.

Matt
Welcome Aboard @Buffo.

Buffo

Thanks for the advice Robbo. The 7XX looks like a good option, but they seem to be relatively rare. I wonder if the bass on other AKG headphones, for example the 702 or 712, would respond well to EQing?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the advice Robbo. The 7XX looks like a good option, but they seem to be relatively rare. I wonder if the bass on other AKG headphones, for example the 702 or 712, would respond well to EQing?
If you're patient to wait for the next time that Drop get a manufacturing run of the K7XX then all is good in terms of that recommendation of mine, but I was aware that they currently don't have stock, so they're probably waiting for interest to build for a next production run, so express your interest on there at that link I gave you....you can click on one of their "buttons" to express an interest in a purchase.

Regarding the other AKG K7 series headphones point that you bring up, I did tell you that my K702 was my favourite headphone out of all the ones in my signature (bottom of post). Regarding how the K702 responds to bass boost, I think it responds well to bass boost. For my open back headphones I've got 3 that I compare against each other re their ability to accept bass boost via EQ, and the K702 sits in the middle.....the HE4XX is the most superior at bass, K702 second, and HD600 a fairly distant third. EQ'd bass is really very good on the K702 in my experience. One thing I will say is that I think there is a fair bit of variation between units of the K702, I have two units of the K702, one from 2015 and one from 2020, both are made in China (so not the Austrian made version, even older). Yes, so Oratory measured my K702 from 2015 and today I received that unit back from him in the post, and his EQ he did for it is absolutely sublime when used on that headphone, absolutely sublime....yet not quite in the same league when used on my newer K702 from 2020 - so I think this is unit to unit variation.....so that's something to be wary of when buying the K702, his EQ is still good on my newer K702, but not quite in the same league. I'm gonna send Oratory my new K702 for measurement so we can get some proper confirmation of unit to variation. If you were willing to go the extra mile, what you could do is buy a K702 and send that to Oratory as well, he's normally quite happy to measure additional units, so you might be able to end up with an EQ from him that is personalised to your particular unit that you've bought (but you'd have to ask him if that's ok re testing another unit as well as receiving a personal EQ for that particular unit)....he's a very approachable fella & very knowledgable.....if you're interested in speaking to him find him over on reddit....yes so you could end up with your own personal EQ for your particular unit which would sidestep unit to unit variation: https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/
He doesn't charge for his services, just postal fee....but of course he's open to receiving any additional donations via Paypal, mainly I think he's doing it as a hobby and as a service to headphone enthusiast community, which it undoubtedly is.

If you're a total bass head it might be better to get the K7XX because it plays louder bass naturally without EQ so likely to have better distortion figures when hitting a certain bass target, but if you're ok with Harman level bass then I think the K702 is a solid option in my experience....the added bonus of the K702 is that it has great soundstage, possibly attributable from it's angled pads (amidst it's other design features which it would share with the K7XX) whereas the K7XX does not have angled pads......so there's potentially a trade-off to be had there. I'm always banging on about the K702 so I hope people aren't getting sick of it, but I initially recommended you the K7XX due to it's open backed bass abilities originally.

Regarding K702 & other K7 series headphones I probably should do my due diligence & say that there is a weakness in the factory solder job of the wires in the earcups. The solder failed in my right ear cup on my 2015 headphone two or three times, and I was able to teach myself how to solder with Youtube vids and a £12 soldering iron to fix it.....and none of my own soldering has failed to date, I replaced all the wires & solder in the right ear cup, haven't had to replace anything in the left earcup (Youtube vids showing how to solder K702). So there are some longevity risks with K7 series unless you're quite technical/practical and happy to learn to solder. Of course they'll honour your warranty if you don't want to do it yourself, but then it could fail again, and is probably less hassle fixing it yourself if you're quite technically minded & practical.

EDIT: before taking the step to send Oratory a headphone for measurement, it's probably best to know whether or not you like the Headphone Harman Curve because his measurement equipment & EQ target is based on that premise (ie try his EQ's for any headphones you may currently own) . This is largely more of an anatomical variation (in HRTF) than a purely psychological tone preference you might have for various speaker curves (not headphones). Most people like the Headphone Harman Curve though as proven by research, so it's a good punt if you're not familiar with it.

Last edited:

Buffo

Thanks again for the advice Robbo. I'll keep an eye on e-Bay and Head-Fi for a set of the 7XX as they do pop up occasionally.

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't know if this the right thread, or even the right site for this question: Son #1 - who would be better on this site than I if he were interested in audio as he's the one with the PhD in CompSci - would like a pair of open-back headphones but really wants wireless. He uses them for both music and podcasts while working. He wants to be able to hear if someone says something to him, without the hassle of taking the phones off his head, and wants wireless as he's a pacer when thinking. His budget is a max of $300. If not here, a trusted site for a recommendation for such an animal would be appreciated. Thanks!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know if this the right thread, or even the right site for this question: Son #1 - who would be better on this site than I if he were interested in audio as he's the one with the PhD in CompSci - would like a pair of open-back headphones but really wants wireless. He uses them for both music and podcasts while working. He wants to be able to hear if someone says something to him, without the hassle of taking the phones off his head, and wants wireless as he's a pacer when thinking. His budget is a max of $300. If not here, a trusted site for a recommendation for such an animal would be appreciated. Thanks!
Folks, can someone help this guy out, I'm not really familiar with wireless headphones. (Just saying this because recently I've been helping everyone in this thread, but I'm not much use on this one).

kami

Hi there,

the Hifiman Deva are wireless, open back and right on budget

HIFIMAN Deva Over-Ear Full-Size Open-Back Planar Magnetic Headphone with Bluetooth Dongle/Receiver, Balanced Input, Easily Switch to Wireless, USB/Wireless/Wired https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0875PW5S8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_6YMCREY39EXQX4P06FJ8

threni

Major Contributor
With open-back headphones the thing his colleagues are most likely to say to him is "can you turn the music off please?"!

Ken1951

With open-back headphones the thing his colleagues are most likely to say to him is "can you turn the music off please?"!
He's working from home now and will through the end of the year. Actually at our home as he works for Bell Labs NJ location and he moved back with us when his lease was up to avoid the horrendous rent since he couldn't go in anyway. When he does need to finally go back rather than remote he has his own office and wouldn't be using them when working with others.

Ken1951

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi there,

the Hifiman Deva are wireless, open back and right on budget

HIFIMAN Deva Over-Ear Full-Size Open-Back Planar Magnetic Headphone with Bluetooth Dongle/Receiver, Balanced Input, Easily Switch to Wireless, USB/Wireless/Wired https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0875PW5S8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_6YMCREY39EXQX4P06FJ8
I'll just add that Oratory has measured those as well, so there's EQ's out there for that headphone, which is a bonus or a must depending on who you are:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ebk1xtt4ssafz4v/Hifiman Deva (Bluetooth).pdf?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x5ix9sybuc9rznm/Hifiman Deva (wired).pdf?dl=0
https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets

coco

Hi, I'm new here. Finally find a place to ask for earbud recommendation. ;)
thank you so much

Budget: below $100~$300? no idea

Form factor: earbud/in-ear

Use case:
listening while walking around, listening before sleep, listening while travel, listening while shopping alone, listening while online shopping/email

Source information:
I using iPhone 11pro with Spotify/Amazon HD. I don't have any amp, just have that $7.99 apple converter.... sometimes using my laptop with Spotify/Amazon HD. (but I'm open to any recommendation of amp if it's portable.)

Things that are important to you:
The earbud/in-ear headphone will stay inside my ears

Your preferred sound signature/other headphones you've tried and liked/disliked:
things I have: I have AKG Q460 and Bose quietcomfort 35 ii. I used AKG Q460 since 2017 and got Bose quietcomfort 35 ii for a trip on 2019.
I feel my AKG Q460 sounds better than Bose quietcomfort 35 ii??? (Bose's noise cancelling works really good. I am not a professional but I feel Q460 gives me better sound. strange)
So, I really want a pair of in-ear or earbud, but I tried so many pairs, they won't fit my ears.
I have relatively small ear canal.
I tried: apple, Samsung, bose, monster (10 years ago), earbuds from $10 section in supermarket, so many other things from my friends. I didn't remember the brands because they just don't fit.

Anything else you feel might be relevant:
Anything can stay inside my ears while I am walking around will work.

kami

If I were you, I would keep the setup minimum and avoid getting an amp, not necessary for your use case.

I would also narrow down the list to IEMs that don't require equalization because that complicates things while using an iPhone.

There's a shortlist from this thread, if you are afraid of inserting things deep into your ear canal like me, then 4 and 5 should be ignored:

1. Moondrop Blessing 2 dusk (this specific sub-model is not available at Amazon, so I linked where to get them)
2. Moondrop Starfield
3. Blon BL03
4. ER4SR
5. ER4XR

- 2 and 3 are available at Amazon.
- Number 2 tends to lose their paint job if you are not careful. It doesn't affect their performance. They would be my choice if I went for IEMs.
- Number 3 is a low-budget way to go into IEMs, but they are fairly popular in the market at /r/AVExchange (reddit marketplace for audio/video things) so I guess people sell them after they get into better quality IEMs. I wouldn't buy them.
- All of them inside the budget
- 4 and 5 are available on sale at Adorama for less than US$150 (search for the sale at slickdeals app/website or our master thread for sales

Hope that helps.

edit: enhance grammar by adding conditional "if" (readability)

KM

Last edited:

coco

1. Moondrop Blessing 2 dusk (this specific sub-model is not available at Amazon, so I linked where to get them)
2. Moondrop Starfield
3. Blon BL03
4. ER4SR
5. ER4XR
KM
Thank you KM.
Yes, I agree with you, I wish to minimize the things carried in my purse.
I love the first one on the list. It looks so pretty. Luckily I know some Chinese. I will buy one from China and ship to US.

Top Bottom