• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IEM equivalent of AKG K371

marv

Hi guys, just a short question that needs your experience as i have not tried that many iem's.

In you experience, what iem is the closest to the tonality of AKG K371 in its stock form without EQ? i have been leaning towards iem's for my mobile listening and i would love to just plug and play the iem that produces the same sound as the AKG K371 as close as possible.. Im not against EQing as I EQ my other iem/hp when im on my desktop/laptop.. i just prefer the ease of plugging and playing for mobile use

thank you for any inputs

all the best

marv

jae

Major Contributor
I don't really use IEMs but it seems like you like a mild-moderately warm harman sound.

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/blob/master/results/RANKING.md

Find K371 in the first table and then look in the 2nd IEM table and try and match for slope and score and you will have good starting points on your search. Look at the FR for each to determine where the actual deviations are and what can be done about them with EQ. Eliminate options based on budget/comfort/style. If you're willing to EQ, there's a lot that can be done to get the sound you're looking for and it may not just be limited to similarly measuring phones out of the box.

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi guys, just a short question that needs your experience as i have not tried that many iem's.

In you experience, what iem is the closest to the tonality of AKG K371 in its stock form without EQ? i have been leaning towards iem's for my mobile listening and i would love to just plug and play the iem that produces the same sound as the AKG K371 as close as possible.. Im not against EQing as I EQ my other iem/hp when im on my desktop/laptop.. i just prefer the ease of plugging and playing for mobile use

thank you for any inputs

all the best

marv

Moondrop tends to tune their stuff to something resembling the Harman target. The Starfield sounds pretty similar to my ear, though with more upper bass and less sub bass than the AKG.

OP
M

marv

Moondrop tends to tune their stuff to something resembling the Harman target. The Starfield sounds pretty similar to my ear, though with more upper bass and less sub bass than the AKG.
i was thinking of the blessing 2 or the blessing 2 dusk... dont know which one is closer to akg K371 tonally.. i havent demoed any of them

phoenixsong

For a budget option the Tanchjim Cora seems to tick the boxes. If you prefer slightly more treble, soundstage and "attack" to the sound (snare strikes and cymbal bite), I recommend using the original JVC spiral dot ear tips to go with it

RHO

Major Contributor
i was thinking of the blessing 2 or the blessing 2 dusk... dont know which one is closer to akg K371 tonally.. i havent demoed any of them
I own both the K371 and the Blessing 2 Dusk. I would say the quality of the bass on the Dusk is a bit better than the K371. The 371 just has a little bit more of it.
The K371 sounds a little bit brighter (more higher treble energy?).
The Dusk sounds just very clean to me. Like a speaker with a very nice tonal balance and very low distortion. (<= all subjective impressions)

From what I see in measurements, the regular Blessing 2 has less of a bass shelve and a little bit brighter tuning in the mids/high-mids.

OP
M

marv

I own both the K371 and the Blessing 2 Dusk. I would say the quality of the bass on the Dusk is a bit better than the K371. The 371 just has a little bit more of it.
The K371 sounds a little bit brighter (more higher treble energy?).
The Dusk sounds just very clean to me. Like a speaker with a very nice tonal balance and very low distortion. (<= all subjective impressions)

From what I see in measurements, the regular Blessing 2 has less of a bass shelve and a little bit brighter tuning in the mids/high-mids.

I think i would prefer bass quality than quantity... Im looking to replace my aging SE535

RHO

Major Contributor
I think i would prefer bass quality than quantity... Im looking to replace my aging SE535
I have to admit that, in general, I like bass on IEMs better than on headphones.

OP
M

marv

I have to admit that, in general, I like bass on IEMs better than on headphones.
But does it mean in your experience the blessing 2 original is closer to K371 than the dusk?

RHO

Major Contributor
I have never heard the original Blessing 2.
I just like the quality of the bass more on the Blessing 2 Dusk than on the K371. There is just a little more of it in the K371. Although the differences aren't huge.
Looking at the FR curves I would expect the original Blessing 2 to have quite a bit less bass than the K371. The Dusk is much closer to the K371 in that regard.
In general I like the Blessing 2 Dusk more than the K371, but that doesn't mean I don't like the K371. I'm actually using it right now.

IEMs and and full size headphones are just a completely different experience.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The tonality of over-ear headphones can vary significanlty with fit and seal. In my experience, the tonality of IEMs varies even more and is dependant on the type of ear tips used and insertion depth. Comparing the tonality of an OE vs an IEM is going to be very subjective because it's highly dependant on your anatomy and wearing preferences.

What I can say is that generally, I enjoy headphones and IEMs corrected towards the Harman targets. I enjoy both my AKG K371's (with Oratory1990's EQ applied via EAPO) and my Moondrop Starfields (with Comply foam ear tips, without EQ).

My advice would be to buy the Starfields, which have been measured close to Harman by several people, and then spend some time experimenting with different ear tips and wearing styles to get a feel for what you like (you may even prefer the un-EQ'd out of the box sound of the Starfields over that of the K371 as I do :))

RHO

Major Contributor
I have to say that tip-rolling was a thing when I was using TinHifi T2plus IEMs, but with the Blessing 2 Dusk I only did it once just for fun. I put on the L tips that come with the Moondrop and I'm set. No need for rolling tips on the Blessing 2 dusk for me.

Vict0r

Blon BL03. You pay about $30 for a pair nowadays and they're ridiculously good for what they cost. I must admit I'd rather wear my 03's all day than my 1964 Audio customs... Not that they sound better than the customs, but they sound close enough and I'm not afraid to break or lose them. Best $30 I ever spent on audio, that's for sure, and that's coming from someone that owns more headphones and IEMs than any sane man should. :p

OP
M

marv

ok here is a list of those i want to try

1. Blessing 2 dusk
2. Starfield
3. Blon BL03
3. ER4SR
4. ER4XR

Been leaning towards IEMs lately.. theyre just more convenient for me:

To give you an idea:

Headphones I still own: No order of preference
1. HD668B - EQd
2. NAD Hp50 - EQd
3. AKG K371 - main headphone
4. KSC75 with Kramer mod

IEMs i still own
1. SE535 - my main iem
2. Sony MH1 modded with MMCX- EQd
3. SBH20 (MH755) EQd
4. Philips SHE3580
5. AKG EO-IG955 - EQd to Harman
6. WF-1000XM3 EQd to Harman (never really intended to buy but was a gift - for travelling) - i want to try the Qudelix Q5 though once i find an iem i really like

I realize I tend to keep IEMs more, but the ones i still own are either too warm or bassy - thus i tend to EQ them.... im looking for something more with the sound of the AKG K371.. and also i feel happier in IEMS that are more bang for the buck - those that sound way better than what you paid for.

Last edited:

RHO

Major Contributor
I think you will be very happy with the Blessing 2 Dusk. Although I haven't listened to any of the other IEMs you list.

I do own the HD668B and K371. So I know how they sound. Seeing your K371 is your main HP, I'm quite sure you will like the Blessing 2 Dusk.
I can't tell you how they will fit your ears, but for me they are very comfortable. For some the nozzle is too big. Although I have read that people with a narrow ear canal can get a comfortable fit with the small tips and the seal is perfect for them. So it's something personal, but small ear canals don't exclude you from enjoying them.

RHO

Major Contributor

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good point, you might want to try out the Galaxy Buds+ as well. I like mine, not as much as my Radsone ES100 + Moondrop Starfields combo, but the lack of cable is a definate plus when I'm walking the dog :)

0RF30

+1 for the Blessing 2 Dusk, sound signature is relatively close of k371, as is imaging/soundstage. They're the only two I can use with no EQ (I prefer K371 with oratory1990 EQ tough - better transition between bass and low mids), for B2 Dusk no need, almost perfect vanilla. For those who are interested, Crinacle made measurements of B2 Dusk, you can find an autoeq EQ based on these measurements (result is relatively close to vanilla - a bit more mid forward).
I second RHO, bass quality is a bit better on B2 Dusk, but you'll get a bit more of sub-bass with K371 with a good seal. Highs are better on K371 (it's the very little flaw of B2 Dusk). Layering is a tiny bit better on K371 with oratory1990 EQ.

Last edited:
Reactions: RHO

JWAmerica

Why not the HK AE-S headphones? Single dynamic driver. They used to go for $100 but you can get them for $30 now. Very durable, aluminum body.

Top Bottom