• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommendation request thread

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For open backed, I think you can't get much better than Sennheiser HD800s. I've not tried that headphone, but by all accounts the soundstage is unique, which I believe because I have a pair of K702 which is also unique in it's great soundstage which I've found to be the case when comparing against my other headphones....K702 often has the reputation of being a baby brother to the HD800s in terms of soundstage. You'll need to EQ that headphone though, the HD800s. My one reservation with the HD800s and pretty much all open back dynamic headphones is that the bass has increased distortion when EQ'd, and is probably the weak point of these types of headphone. I don't really like the looks of the frequency responses of planar headphones to recommend them, even though their strength is low distortion in the bass whilst still being open backed headphones.......those frequency responses are just too jagged to be able to fix (lots of fine grass jaggedness that I think could negatively influence the sound, as well in some cases some unfixable deep sharp dips). I think HD800s is as good as you can get with an open backed headphone, I'd be interested to compare it against my K702 when both are EQ'd to the Harman Curve, so be aware I'm recommending a headphone I've not listened to, but it gets very good reports.
I second that recommendation, with the caveat that you use EQ.

GoMrPickles

Forum Donor
I got a used Oppo PM-3 for $250. Interesting difference to the 6XX, and I can resell at a minimal loss if I need to.
Budget: $500 USD
Form factor: Over ear, closed
Use case: Listening while programming, occasional critical listening.
Source information: Spotify/FLAC on Win and Linux PC -> Equalizer APO -> SMSL SU-8 -> Topping L30

kami

Budget: (USD) 200-250 range (I need to pay customs and shipping fees on top of that, hence the limit)
I can buy from Amazon.com and eBay.

Form factor: I prefer closed back, as I live in a place with low noise isolation from the outside. I am tolerant to the idea of semi-open backs.

Use case: Listening while at work. Some listening at night after work.

Source information:
Qobuz -> Win 10 (using EQ) -> Liquid Spark DAC over USB -> PA2V2 Headphone amp (FiiO A5, and Schiit Magni 3 on the way)
Qobuz + iPad Air (the last model with a headphone plug)
Sansa Clip+ with RockBox firmware (RockBox has Parametric EQ and it works good enough for the size of the device)

Things that are important to you: Comfort, durability, and capacity to replace parts. This is a long term expense.

Your preferred sound signature/other headphones you've tried and liked/disliked: I have a pair of Sennheiser HD-25 that I bought to learn e-drums, and play Rock Band on an Xbox360 (hence the PA2V2). This led me to think that I could probably use them to enjoy music (so I bought the Liquid Spark DAC).

I like the punchy bass of the Sennheiser HD-25s, but according to what I've read I might be able to enjoy better imaging, and wider sound-stage from other headphones.

I am liking the process of learning to listen to music, and I enjoy being able to know what instrument is being played. So I guess I could say "Imaging" and "Detail" is really important. I don't resist the idea of using parametric EQ.

I don't know if I can classify myself as a bass-head. Perhaps I am.

Anything else you feel might be relevant:
My taste of music goes from Rock'n Roll (e.g. Foo Fighters), through Jazz (e.g. Charles Mingus) to Trip-Hop (e.g. Tricky)
I tend to like pieces that have several layers of instruments sounding at the same time, specially when they are added incrementally.

I use Electronic music to help myself concentrate while I Work from Home (Infrastructure Engineer) when I am not talking to people, I need to code or troubleshoot other people issues or designs. My working area at home is close to the visitor's parking area of the condo where I live (external noise out of my control). I use Yaxi pads to make the HD-25s more comfortable, but they still hurt my ears if I wear them for more than 2 hours.

Living outside the USA means that customs, and shipping costs are high for things like buying from Drop.com. Returning items when they fail is a possibility, but I would have to pay customs again for the replacement, or having stuff fail on me and a vendor not honoring a warranty is like my worst nightmare.

I made an offer to buy a pair of DT880 (600 Ohms) in the sales forum here, because all my reading led me to think that price is a good bargain for those headphones (I don't mind the wait) and they sound like a good candidate to increase the music I listen to.

My request could be classified as similar to Docteur Poulet's request in this post but he stopped commenting about his choice, or just stopped looking.

Trying headphones in a local store is next to impossible, I was honestly really lucky to buy the HD-25's locally at a musical instruments' store.

Thanks for reading, this is my second post after reading lots of things to understand what is important to me.

KM

markanini

Major Contributor
Beyerdynamic DT770 will be closer to Sennheiser HD25 punch and far more comfortable. AKG 371 will also have a resemblance of HD25 punch but I'd advise demoing them before to ensure you are able to get a good seal.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Budget: (USD) 200-250 range (I need to pay customs and shipping fees on top of that, hence the limit)
I can buy from Amazon.com and eBay.

Form factor: I prefer closed back, as I live in a place with low noise isolation from the outside. I am tolerant to the idea of semi-open backs.

Use case: Listening while at work. Some listening at night after work.

Source information:
Qobuz -> Win 10 (using EQ) -> Liquid Spark DAC over USB -> PA2V2 Headphone amp (FiiO A5, and Schiit Magni 3 on the way)
Qobuz + iPad Air (the last model with a headphone plug)
Sansa Clip+ with RockBox firmware (RockBox has Parametric EQ and it works good enough for the size of the device)

Things that are important to you: Comfort, durability, and capacity to replace parts. This is a long term expense.

Your preferred sound signature/other headphones you've tried and liked/disliked: I have a pair of Sennheiser HD-25 that I bought to learn e-drums, and play Rock Band on an Xbox360 (hence the PA2V2). This led me to think that I could probably use them to enjoy music (so I bought the Liquid Spark DAC).

I like the punchy bass of the Sennheiser HD-25s, but according to what I've read I might be able to enjoy better imaging, and wider sound-stage from other headphones.

I am liking the process of learning to listen to music, and I enjoy being able to know what instrument is being played. So I guess I could say "Imaging" and "Detail" is really important. I don't resist the idea of using parametric EQ.

I don't know if I can classify myself as a bass-head. Perhaps I am.

My taste of music goes from Rock'n Roll (e.g. Foo Fighters), through Jazz (e.g. Charles Mingus) to Trip-Hop (e.g. Tricky)
I tend to like pieces that have several layers of instruments sounding at the same time, specially when they are added incrementally.

I use Electronic music to help myself concentrate while I Work from Home (Infrastructure Engineer) when I am not talking to people, I need to code or troubleshoot other people issues or designs. My working area at home is close to the visitor's parking area of the condo where I live (external noise out of my control). I use Yaxi pads to make the HD-25s more comfortable, but they still hurt my ears if I wear them for more than 2 hours.

Living outside the USA means that customs, and shipping costs are high for things like buying from Drop.com. Returning items when they fail is a possibility, but I would have to pay customs again for the replacement, or having stuff fail on me and a vendor not honoring a warranty is like my worst nightmare.

I made an offer to buy a pair of DT880 (600 Ohms) in the sales forum here, because all my reading led me to think that price is a good bargain for those headphones (I don't mind the wait) and they sound like a good candidate to increase the music I listen to.

My request could be classified as similar to Docteur Poulet's request in this post but he stopped commenting about his choice, or just stopped looking.

Trying headphones in a local store is next to impossible, I was honestly really lucky to buy the HD-25's locally at a musical instruments' store.

Thanks for reading, this is my second post after reading lots of things to understand what is important to me.

KM
I'd recommend AKG K371 as they are tremendous value for the quality of sound you receive, and they are closed back of course too. They also track the Harman Curve really well, with just some small'ish deficiencies in the treble, but a lot of that can be improved by EQ. There is some doubts about the physical ruggedness of the products with some people stating that they've fallen apart, and some people comment that they don't seem to fit properly on their head/ears.....but fitment will be down to your individual anatomy, and the "falling apart" comments might come down to how rough you are with your headphones or your bad luck re choosing a sample that slipped through QC so-to-speak. A lot of people are really happy with them though. Here's the review: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../akg-k371-review-closed-back-headphone.19657/

kami

I'd recommend AKG K371 as they are tremendous value for the quality of sound you receive, and they are closed back of course too. They also track the Harman Curve really well, with just some small'ish deficiencies in the treble, but a lot of that can be improved by EQ. There is some doubts about the physical ruggedness of the products with some people stating that they've fallen apart, and some people comment that they don't seem to fit properly on their head/ears.....but fitment will be down to your individual anatomy, and the "falling apart" comments might come down to how rough you are with your headphones or your bad luck re choosing a sample that slipped through QC so-to-speak. A lot of people are really happy with them though. Here's the review: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../akg-k371-review-closed-back-headphone.19657/

Thanks @Robbo99999 - I read the AKG371 review and my main concern is quality, but I guess buying from amazon should help mitigate that. I love the fact that they are one of the only two headphones recommended by Amir without EQ required.

My doubt with that model is how much increase in imaging one would get. I guess it's hard to quantify and that's why people recommend to audition any model before buying. I am aware that sound-stage is not an outstanding feature in any closed back. That makes me a bit sad, but I just have to deal with that.

kami

Beyerdynamic DT770 will be closer to Sennheiser HD25 punch and far more comfortable. AKG 371 will also have a resemblance of HD25 punch but I'd advise demoing them before to ensure you are able to get a good seal.

Thanks this is solid advice, I might have to take back my offer on those DT880 then.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks @Robbo99999 - I read the AKG371 review and my main concern is quality, but I guess buying from amazon should help mitigate that. I love the fact that they are one of the only two headphones recommended by Amir without EQ required.

My doubt with that model is how much increase in imaging one would get. I guess it's hard to quantify and that's why people recommend to audition any model before buying. I am aware that sound-stage is not an outstanding feature in any closed back. That makes me a bit sad, but I just have to deal with that.
Yeah, I can't comment on the soundstage aspect of that headphone as I've never listened to it, but my guess is that it wouldn't be a massively impressive soundstage headphone...because I think the earcups are not particularly big and I don't think it uses angled drivers or angled pads. I could also recommend you buy a used NAD HP50 (it's a closed back), I have that headphone and the soundstage is better than my open backed HD600, but HD600 is not known for a wide soundstage. NAD HP50 has many good qualities like a very smooth frequency response that can be successfully EQ'd with ease (no nasty sharp dips or peaks), it has exceptionally low distortion, it's very very easy to drive, and it's got good soundstage for a closed back headphone........one downside of the HP50 is that the earcups are quite small so you'd have to make sure your ears fit inside the earcups, you can find inner pad dimensions of different headphone on solderdude's website (https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/nad-viso-hp50/). HP50 has also been measured by Amir (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/nad-viso-hp50-review-headphone.19121/). Anecdotally the HP50 has a better soundstage than the K371, HP50 is also kinda advertised by the manufacturer as having good soundstage as part of their "RoomFeel Technology". I could also recommend the Dan Clark Aeon RT which is supposed to have good soundstage for a closed back, but it's way too expensive for your budget, reviewed by Amir (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-audio-aeon-rt-review-closed-headphone.19393/)

EDIT: given the longevity concerns you may have with K371, and given you want a more impressive soundstage, then HP50 bought used could be a smart buy as HP50 doesn't have longevity issues and has that soundstage.

Ravix

Hello everyone,

I just registered to post this so here goes nothing ! I'm really not a forum user but I can't stand to search through the internet for weeks anymore, I need your expertise really badly :confused: I hope I'm not doing anything wrong and if I am please le me know

France

Budget: (in local currency and maybe USD)
300€-400€ TOPS if really required, less would be better but I open minded (~360$ / 480$)

Form factor: (e.g. over ear, on ear, IEM, open back etc.)
I need a pair of hifi headphones to use at home, simple as that. I don't care much about the form, honestly I have a really basic understanding of what differs between closed and opened back, and I personally don't mind not hearing what's happening around me, as I don't mind that what I'm hearing can also be heard without wearing the headphones (to a certain degree of course)

Use case: (e.g. casual listening while at work, critical listening etc.)
First of all it would be for home usage only, mostly to listen to music. I listen to different types of music, but most regularly metal, sort of electronic music (almost exclusively synthwave for those who know about it, which is not what you'd hear on raves), and some hip hop/rap/beat stuff. I have access to some FLAC files, but I'm not gonna lie most of the things I listen are on Deezer (Spotify-like for those who don't know, which I think is CD quality music .mp3, don't remember the exact rate) and youtube for some mixes that I just let roll in the background.

Second, I do play video games a lot (on computer mostly if that matters), again multiple types (FPS, MMOs... Though I guess the most important one would be FPS), and finally if possible I would like to keep the same headphones I use when listening to music. The only thing in that case left for me to figure out is the microphone issue, but that's a whole other subject.

Source information: (your amp/lack of amp if you feel it's relevant)
I don't have any amp. I've been trying to look into it at the same time as I was looking for decent headphones, but I just can't figure out what's worth or not, everyone has different opinions on everything and that's mainly why I'm posting this here. I've heard (and remembered) of :

Dragonflies
• Topping DX3
(sometimes combined with a Magni Heresy, for whatever that means)
• Ifi Zen

So I'm all ears !

Things that are important to you: (e.g. comfort, portability, durability etc.)
What's most important to me is sound quality. (I know right ? :D) I like to think of myself as a audiophile type of person in the sense that I seek and crave for good audio quality, though I have absolutely 0 knowledge about anything, just very basic stuff I've read on the internet. So I couldn't tell you in technical terms what I'm looking for as it's really just as I try things that I can explain what I like/dislike.

I would say that, I guess, am looking for something that can play most types of music with high fidelity, and I think neutral is a good term ? For instance even though I like having some bass on some songs, I dont want it to be overexposed but rather balanced, you know, I just want it to be able to kick when it needs to but not ALL the time. (I'm so sorry if I'm not being clear, I feel like such a newbie, which I am :facepalm:)

I will be wearing it during long hours and every day as I work on remote at home, so comfort is important but I usually don't look into it too much as I've never had specific issues on that level, I don't have large ears or a large head, but I need to be able to wear it for multiple hours that's for sure.

Also, I would like to mention that I've recently been looking into wireless gaming headsets (as expected only to conclude that they're all worthless) because I'm getting tired of wires, which I think goes against the whole audiophile stuff...:rolleyes: But anyway if you have any suggestions about this, or for microphones for that matters, I'll take everything I can !

Your preferred sound signature/other headphones you've tried and liked/disliked:
For reference I have had a V-Moda Crossfade 2 combined with an EQ for multiple years now as my main "listening to music" headphones which I think sounds really great, and I chose it because it checked a lot of things on my list, even tough there must be some better "audio quality" headphones out there.

Apart from that I've not tried any real HiFi headphones honestly, except for the Beyerdynamics DT770 of a friend, which sounded quite nice and which I was going to buy by default, but I believe I was not that impressed with them, I couldn't say precisely why as it's been quite some time now.

I think I've said enough, I apologise for the lengthy post, but you guys are my last resort. I've been searching for weeks about anything useful (what is "audiophile" about, what equipement is needed, what good practices are recommended, amps/dacs, headsets, low budget, even speakers...) but as I said there's too much difference of opinions everywhere about everything, so I'm completely lost.

Finally thank you so much for just even reading all this and sorry for any mistakes I made, english langage wise :facepalm:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everyone,

I just registered to post this so here goes nothing ! I'm really not a forum user but I can't stand to search through the internet for weeks anymore, I need your expertise really badly :confused: I hope I'm not doing anything wrong and if I am please le me know

France

300€-400€ TOPS if really required, less would be better but I open minded (~360$ / 480$)

I need a pair of hifi headphones to use at home, simple as that. I don't care much about the form, honestly I have a really basic understanding of what differs between closed and opened back, and I personally don't mind not hearing what's happening around me, as I don't mind that what I'm hearing can also be heard without wearing the headphones (to a certain degree of course)

First of all it would be for home usage only, mostly to listen to music. I listen to different types of music, but most regularly metal, sort of electronic music (almost exclusively synthwave for those who know about it, which is not what you'd hear on raves), and some hip hop/rap/beat stuff. I have access to some FLAC files, but I'm not gonna lie most of the things I listen are on Deezer (Spotify-like for those who don't know, which I think is CD quality music .mp3, don't remember the exact rate) and youtube for some mixes that I just let roll in the background.

Second, I do play video games a lot (on computer mostly if that matters), again multiple types (FPS, MMOs... Though I guess the most important one would be FPS), and finally if possible I would like to keep the same headphones I use when listening to music. The only thing in that case left for me to figure out is the microphone issue, but that's a whole other subject.

I don't have any amp. I've been trying to look into it at the same time as I was looking for decent headphones, but I just can't figure out what's worth or not, everyone has different opinions on everything and that's mainly why I'm posting this here. I've heard (and remembered) of :

Dragonflies
• Topping DX3
• Ifi Zen

So I'm all ears !

What's most important to me is sound quality. (I know right ? :D) I like to think of myself as a audiophile type of person in the sense that I seek and crave for good audio quality, though I have absolutely 0 knowledge about anything, just very basic stuff I've read on the internet. So I couldn't tell you in technical terms what I'm looking for as it's really just as I try things that I can explain what I like/dislike.

I would say that, I guess, am looking for something that can play most types of music with high fidelity, and I think neutral is a good term ? For instance even though I like having some bass on some songs, I dont want it to be overexposed but rather balanced, you know, I just want it to be able to kick when it needs to but not ALL the time. (I'm so sorry if I'm not being clear, I feel like such a newbie, which I am :facepalm:)

I will be wearing it during long hours and every day as I work on remote at home, so comfort is important but I usually don't look into it too much as I've never had specific issues on that level, I don't have large ears or a large head, but I need to be able to wear it for multiple hours that's for sure.

Also, I would like to mention that I've recently been looking into wireless gaming headsets (as expected only to conclude that they're all worthless) because I'm getting tired of wires, which I think goes against the whole audiophile stuff...:rolleyes: But anyway if you have any suggestions about this, or for microphones for that matters, I'll take everything I can !

Your preferred sound signature/other headphones you've tried and liked/disliked:
For reference I have had a V-Moda Crossfade 2 combined with an EQ for multiple years now as my main "listening to music" headphones which I think sounds really great, and I chose it because it checked a lot of things on my list, even tough there must be some better "audio quality" headphones out there.

Apart from that I've not tried any real HiFi headphones honestly, except for the Beyerdynamics DT770 of a friend, which sounded quite nice and which I was going to buy by default, but I believe I was not that impressed with them, I couldn't say precisely why as it's been quite some time now.

I think I've said enough, I apologise for the lengthy post, but you guys are my last resort. I've been searching for weeks about anything useful (what is "audiophile" about, what equipement is needed, what good practices are recommended, amps/dacs, headsets, low budget, even speakers...) but as I said there's too much difference of opinions everywhere about everything, so I'm completely lost.

Finally thank you so much for just even reading all this and sorry for any mistakes I made, english langage wise :facepalm:
If I was you, given you enjoy your v moda and they fit your use case, id stick with them.

You may get headphones for your price that are objectively "better", but a quick look at the headphone reviews on here by @amirm will tell you price and quality rarely align. I doubt anything you got would be night and day "better" than the sound you enjoy from the v moda, probably be "different" but maybe not better to your ears.

Ravix

Oh ok thanks a lot for you input ! Do you know about the V Moda ? Do you think it's a good headphones ? I've had it for a few years now but I don't really have things to compare it to

Also what do you mean by
price and quality rarely align
?

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh ok thanks a lot for you input ! Do you know about the V Moda ? Do you think it's a good headphones ? I've had it for a few years now but I don't really have things to compare it to

Also what do you mean by ?
Don't know it personally. Seems to be a portable favourite.

I mean price doesn't equal quality. Read amir's review of the akg k371 and the abyss headphones.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everyone,

France

Dragonflies
• Topping DX3
• Ifi Zen

So I'm all ears !

Hi, I'm also a gamer, I use my PC for fps gaming, and use virtual 7.1 surround sound to really get instant mental pictures of where enemies are in relation to me, so having the right headphone for this is crucial - I've tried 4 different "hifi" headphones (the ones listed in my signature at the bottom of the post), and the best one for this is the AKG K702. This headphone is also my favourite headphone for music listening due to it's great soundstage and "high resolution", and that's also why it's my best headphone for gaming in terms of locating sound in 3D space around me. So I'm gonna recommend you the K702, and I'd also advise that you EQ it using Oratory's measurement - he hasn't measured them yet, but I sent my headphones and he's gonna measure them & provide an EQ soon. He EQ's headphones to the Harman Curve which generally is an improvement for most people....and I personally find that headphones EQ'd to the Harman Curve sound fantastic. This is where he publishes his EQ's:
https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets
The K702 is also really good value in the EU, so it's within your budget easily. It's a great gaming headphone and when EQ'd it's a great headphone for music.....I also find the Harman EQ enhances it's gaming qualities too.

EDIT: in terms of amplification the K702 is reasonably easy to drive, but I'd probably invest in a good USB DAC/amp combo. I think I'll recommend you the SoundblasterX G6 which I have, it was buggy when used with my laptop, but with my desktop there are zero issues, plus the SoundblasterX G6 has been reviewed by Amir on this website and did well:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...w-and-measurements-of-sound-blasterx-g6.7016/
This will give you the virtual 7.1 surround sound in your headphones, as well as providing a good music listening experience (when you put the DAC in Direct Mode).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, I'm also a gamer, I use my PC for fps gaming, and use virtual 7.1 surround sound to really get instant mental pictures of where enemies are in relation to me, so having the right headphone for this is crucial - I've tried 4 different "hifi" headphones (the ones listed in my signature at the bottome of the post), and the best one for this is the AKG K702. This headphone is also my favourite headphone for music listening due to it's great soundstage and "high resolution", and that's also why it's my best headphone for gaming in terms of locating sound in 3D space around me. So I'm gonna recommend you the K702, and I'd also advise that you EQ it using Oratory's measurement - he hasn't measured them yet, but I sent my headphones and he's gonna measure them & provide an EQ soon. He EQ's headphones to the Harman Curve which generally is an improvement for most people....and I personally find that headphones EQ'd to the Harman Curve sound fantastic. This is where he publishes his EQ's:
The K702 is also really good value in the EU, so it's within your budget easily. It's a great gaming headphone and when EQ'd it's a great headphone for music.....I also find the Harman EQ enhances it's gaming qualities too.
Poster has no amp though. Don't the 701/2 need a bit more? Depends on sound card I guess?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Poster has no amp though. Don't the 701/2 need a bit more? Depends on sound card I guess?
I edited my post whilst you were typing. My K702 sounds horrible connected to my old MSI Z170A motherboard through the onboard sound, so I recommended him the SoundblasterX G6 which I use, with the caveat that it can be buggy on some systems.

Ravix

Don't know it personally. Seems to be a portable favourite.

I mean price doesn't equal quality. Read amir's review of the akg k371 and the abyss headphones.

Yeah I can see your point. In your opinion, what price range should I aim for the purpose I listed before ? Roughly of course, just to get a general idea

Hi, I'm also a gamer, I use my PC for fps gaming, and use virtual 7.1 surround sound to really get instant mental pictures of where enemies are in relation to me, so having the right headphone for this is crucial - I've tried 4 different "hifi" headphones (the ones listed in my signature at the bottom of the post), and the best one for this is the AKG K702. This headphone is also my favourite headphone for music listening due to it's great soundstage and "high resolution", and that's also why it's my best headphone for gaming in terms of locating sound in 3D space around me. So I'm gonna recommend you the K702, and I'd also advise that you EQ it using Oratory's measurement - he hasn't measured them yet, but I sent my headphones and he's gonna measure them & provide an EQ soon. He EQ's headphones to the Harman Curve which generally is an improvement for most people....and I personally find that headphones EQ'd to the Harman Curve sound fantastic. This is where he publishes his EQ's:

EDIT: in terms of amplification the K702 is reasonably easy to drive, but I'd probably invest in a good USB DAC/amp combo. I think I'll recommend you the SoundblasterX G6 which I have, it was buggy when used with my laptop, but with my desktop there are zero issues, plus the SoundblasterX G6 has been reviewed by Amir on this website and did well:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...w-and-measurements-of-sound-blasterx-g6.7016/
This will give you the virtual 7.1 surround sound in your headphones, as well as providing a good music listening experience (when you put the DAC in Direct Mode).

Thanks a lot for the recommandation ! I'll definitely check it out, I don't mind investing in an amp or duo amp/dac, all I really want is just to find something I can settle for for good, without being excessive. I've read multiple times than the simulated 7.1 surround are usually bad quality but maybe it's just a general idea ? I don't know anything about it really

Also can you explain me real quick why would I need a DAC in fact ? I see why it's necessary for some headphones, related to the impedance and the power needed to driver them, but I'm still shaky about what's the real benefit of a DAC

markanini

Major Contributor
For a no amp situation the AKG K371 would be one of the top choices, if open back isn't a requirement.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah I can see your point. In your opinion, what price range should I aim for the purpose I listed before ? Roughly of course, just to get a general idea

Thanks a lot for the recommandation ! I'll definitely check it out, I don't mind investing in an amp or duo amp/dac, all I really want is just to find something I can settle for for good, without being excessive. I've read multiple times than the simulated 7.1 surround are usually bad quality but maybe it's just a general idea ? I don't know anything about it really

Also can you explain me real quick why would I need a DAC in fact ? I see why it's necessary for some headphones, related to the impedance and the power needed to driver them, but I'm still shaky about what's the real benefit of a DAC
Virtual 7.1 Surround Sound you would not use for music listening, that would just be for gaming. You use the SoundblasterX G6 in Direct Mode when listening to music (flick a button in the Soundblaster software) which puts the DAC into 2 channel stereo and removes any audio processing enhancements, at which point the G6 is just acting like a normal "music DAC". But for gaming you activate the Soundblaster software processing which allows you to get Virtual 7.1 Surround Sound. When in surround mode the DAC is actually appearing as a proper 7.1 channel system to the operating system, so that your games will think you have a real 7.1 surround system, and the software virtualises that surround sound into your headphones. It's really a very good system, and it enables me when I play BF1 to recognise enemy sounds both in front & behind & of course left & right.....if you're not running a virtual 7.1 surround sound for your headphones then you won't be able to distinguish sounds from front or back. It creates a very immersive gaming environment that enhances the soundscape and increases realism in addition to the competetive performance advantages of more accurate enemy sound position detection. When running 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound in my games I notice no decrease of audio quality, just enhanced realism and the other advantages I mentioned. Your games will need to be able have options in the Audio Menu of the game to select your sound system: options will be something like Stereo / 5.1 Surround Sound / 7.1 Surround Sound.....you'd choose the last option for best experience, even though the G6 will also process 5.1 Surround Sound (as you can set the G6 in Stereo / 5.1 / or 7.1). This journey has been a real eye opener for me and I don't need anything better than the G6 & K702 when it comes to gaming and also music.

(I do have a seperate headphone amp that I have connected to the G6, but you don't need that really, the K702 works well directly connected to the G6.....or that could be an upgrade that you decide to do later).

EDIT: you asked why you need a DAC. A DAC is just the terminology of Digital to Analogue Converter. Your PC and your phone already has this DAC - they're not special. The SoundblasterX G6 for example is actually a DAC/amp combo. This means it has a DAC portion that converts the digital signals to analogue, and then the headphone amp that is included within the G6 takes that anologue signal and amplifies it for your connected headphone. Headphones always need a DAC and always need an amp - your phone has both even, your PC has these even.......just you get better quality DACs & amps by buying seperate equipment that is not already built into your PC or phone for instance.....and in the case of the G6 it also has extra features like the virtual 7.1 surround sound processing. The G6 is a DAC/amp combo all-in-one device.......whereas for example the Topping E30 DAC is just a DAC that requires a person to buy a seperate headphone amp to attach to it........but the G6 is a DAC/amp combo that does both. The headphone amp in the G6 drives the K702 just fine, certainly enough power, easily.

Last edited:

paranoidbunny

Budget: max. 2.000 EUR
Form factor: Over Ear
Use case: Listening to all kinds of from Jazz to Metal for entertainment, as well as professional scenarios (am responsible to select titles for events and video procution for example). Music I love ranges from Esbjörn Svensson to Steve Vai to traditional Folk. The thing that music I love has in common seemingly is high dynamics. I love the grooving bass of E.S.T. even when they break it down and get to whispering levels, same goes for live recordings of Alicia Keys or stuff like the Tokyo Active Neets, which I absolutey love.
Source information: Desktop PC via Thunderbolt 3 to a Dock to a FiiO K5 Pro to Headphones
Things that are important to you: I've owned Audio Technica ath-m50 which were too uncomfortable, else I don't need a sofa on my head.
Owning a Beyerdynamic MMX300 which I quite like, despide the harsh tremble. Fidelio X2HR seems unreasonable bass-heavy but can be EQd quite nicely. Creative Aurvana Live! cannot compete, as well as my Sony WH-1000XM3, which is great for travelling with good ANC though.
Recently tested and sold a Hifiman Sundara, becaue it lacked some punch, where the X2HR almost has too much, the Sundara felt uninspiring, even though the airyness and wider Soundstage was very likeable. So I am looking for something like a middleground, but found the neighther the widely praised Focal Clear nor the Audeze LCD-X stood well in testing.
Am a guitar player and listening to a lot of guitar recordings therefore. Also mastering for friends as a hobby mainly.

Am very grateful for any recommendation!

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Budget: max. 2.000 EUR
Form factor: Over Ear
Use case: Listening to all kinds of from Jazz to Metal for entertainment, as well as professional scenarios (am responsible to select titles for events and video procution for example). Music I love ranges from Esbjörn Svensson to Steve Vai to traditional Folk. The thing that music I love has in common seemingly is high dynamics. I love the grooving bass of E.S.T. even when they break it down and get to whispering levels, same goes for live recordings of Alicia Keys or stuff like the Tokyo Active Neets, which I absolutey love.
Source information: Desktop PC via Thunderbolt 3 to a Dock to a FiiO K5 Pro to Headphones
Things that are important to you: I've owned Audio Technica ath-m50 which were too uncomfortable, else I don't need a sofa on my head.
Owning a Beyerdynamic MMX300 which I quite like, despide the harsh tremble. Fidelio X2HR seems unreasonable bass-heavy but can be EQd quite nicely. Creative Aurvana Live! cannot compete, as well as my Sony WH-1000XM3, which is great for travelling with good ANC though.
Recently tested and sold a Hifiman Sundara, becaue it lacked some punch, where the X2HR almost has too much, the Sundara felt uninspiring, even though the airyness and wider Soundstage was very likeable. So I am looking for something like a middleground, but found the neighther the widely praised Focal Clear nor the Audeze LCD-X stood well in testing.
Am a guitar player and listening to a lot of guitar recordings therefore. Also mastering for friends as a hobby mainly.

Am very grateful for any recommendation!
Hi, if you do this mastering for friends and also you're responsible professionally for selecting titles for events & video production, then isn't it important that you listen to the tracks on an accurate & neutral system? If that's the case then I would think your first port of call would be a pair of studio monitors (speakers) rather than headphones because by their nature of their interaction with your anatomy you can't really guarantee that a set of headphones are representing neutrality & accuracy, whereas you can certainly verify that a measured/reviewed (by Amir) set of studio monitors are neutral & accurate. Once you've got some accurate studio monitors then you'll be more able to experiment with different headphones and EQ of headphones (eg trying the Headphone Harman Curve) to verify that your headphones are representing something close to the neutrality of your speaker system.

If you're just interested in headphones sounding good to you, then take whatever headphones you currently own and see if they sound good to you when EQ'd to the Harman Curve, you could try Oratory EQ settings if he has tested one of your headphones:
If you know those EQ's sound good to you, then it's just about choosing a headphone that works the best for you when the EQ from above link has been applied....as some headphones will have better soundstage / better bass / better overall clarity & detail even when EQ'd to the same Target Curve. I think that's a good strategy if you find you like Harman Curve for headphones. If you don't like the Harman Curve for headphones then just keep experimenting with different headphones....and it's easy to see from headphone measurements/reviews which headphones perform well in the bass, the rest of the frequency range is a bit more of an unknown when it comes to an individual's response to a headphone.

Top Bottom