• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

re-sampling multiple times

ttb

So, with Qobuz WASAPI exclusive on Win10 -> HDMI -> and my Sony AVR STR-DH790, I can get the display to match what the song is. Let's say for sake of argument this post
is correct and the AVR is downsampling to 48K (I use it on "direct" not "pure direct", because EQ).

With Late 2014 Mac Mini, and I assume with new Windows 11 Apple Music app, I can output Lossless but the source is "resampled" from the source file (44.1, 48, 96, 192) to whatever the "sampling setting" is in MacOS or Windows (let's say I set it to 192 or 176.4 constantly to be a multiple of source). The AVR is still going to be downsampling it to 48K (theoretically).

So, no matter what, scenario 1 with Qoboz WASAPI exclusive is maniuplating it "one less time" (although Qobuz volume still works).... Than Scenario 2 (letting it go through system mixer).

I know the technical answer is "it doesn' matter, you can't hear it, it depends etc." but in general, is resampling fewer times a better goal than resampling more times. ??

It kind of seems like JPGs. Most of the paint programs resize them OK but if I want a screenshot to be readable I start with PNG and resize it once. Same thing with doing anything decimal in any kind of program, truncating once is ideal. But audio seems to be full of transforms all the time and "it doesn't matter."

Top Bottom