• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RCA Stereo to Mono converter where to buy ?

tjtremor

Was looking at merging Left,Right channels into Mono. I don't really want to build the adapter.
Why are these so rare to buy ? Was looking at Amazon & Aliexpress but can't find much.

for line out it would be this and with these adapters I could just ignore the soldering part.
'left + 1kohm' 'right + 1kohm' -> mono channel

*Edit, I was able to find some converters on Aliexpress
1644074870693.png

1644074558592.png

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
*Edit, I was able to find some converters on Aliexpress
The 1st one is just an RCA adapter with screw terminals. You could build your own with three of those and two resistors.

The 2nd one seems to be what you're looking for.

For subwoofer or center channel
Bass is usually "mono" anyway so you can just use one channel or the other. If you've ever played-around with a vocal remover (which subtracts left from right to remove the "center") you'll find that the bass gets removed too because it's almost always identical in left & right.

Why are these so rare to buy ?
Good question! I've seen passive mixers (with volume/level controls) but I don't think I've ever seen a fixed-passive mixer.

OP
T

tjtremor

thanks, reading it now,
I did find one store selling the adapter, it's not cheap. I guess it's not a basic circuit.

I wonder if I should just get a simple equalizer that has LFE out from stereo inputs ?

OP
T

tjtremor

The 1st one is just an RCA adapter with screw terminals. You could build your own with three of those and two resistors.

The 2nd one seems to be what you're looking for.

Bass is usually "mono" anyway so you can just use one channel or the other. If you've ever played-around with a vocal remover (which subtracts left from right to remove the "center") you'll find that the bass gets removed too because it's almost always identical in left & right.

Good question! I've seen passive mixers (with volume/level controls) but I don't think I've ever seen a fixed-passive mixer.
Right now I'm using one channel for the sub, works ok since my bookshelfs have 6.5" woofers. I did notice a lot of tracks where for some reason bass starts on one channel, then moves to both channels. Some electronic tracks also have bass swipe between channels.

I did have high inputs (left,right) into the sub before, but I noticed this old sub is pretty bad at bass precision / loudness with high inputs vs RCA LFE.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

It is easy (easy) to make such a gizmo.
stereo%20to%20mono_zpspioiz6q6.jpg

(from DIYAudio... I don't have the original reference handy)
I built one out of junkbox parts for a fellow @ AK who wanted to listen to mono records in true mono (i.e., sum all out-of-phase noise to zero) and lacked a mono switch on the amp with which he wanted to use to do it. Rather than go to the trouble of cutting holes and mounting two sets of RCA jacks on the summing box, I cut an old stereo patch cord in half and used that. I am nothing if not preternaturally lazy.

1644114947818.png

Top Bottom