• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Raspberry : power supply with LT3045 regulator (low noise)

magicwolf

Would be nice to compare RMAA of audio output with unmodified and modified supply.
Well, I'll take the measurements again, there was no difference last time, when I made similar measurements.
Most will absolutely believe you hear those differences. Most (here at least) will also understand that without controls people hear all kinds of things.
Since these differences relate to visualization, alas, I do not know what measurements should be taken to quantify them. J-test is possible, but I do not know how to do it ;((

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I'll take the measurements again, there was no difference last time, when I made similar measurements.

Since these differences relate to visualization, alas, I do not know what measurements should be taken to quantify them. J-test is possible, but I do not know how to do it ;((

I think @BDWoody was pointing out that without controls, the differences you hear between DAC's, most here will just assume they are not in the audio signal but a result of expectation bias (or similar). Since (unless one of the devices you are comparing is effectively broken) the measurements tell us any differences in the audio signal are - inaudible.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Alas, you demand the impossible from me.

No, just a controlled listening test.

I do not like swapping from one source to another using small fragments, you can convince yourself of anything this way IME.

Controlled tests are definitely a pain to set up properly, but unfortunately our brains are too tricky to outsmart without isolating just the ears to be sure we are hearing what we think we are hearing.

People also sometimes abandon controlled testing when they try it, and it doesn't support their pre-drawn conclusions.

magicwolf

No, just a controlled listening test.
Really?! You're asking too much of me.
but unfortunately our brains are too tricky
When I read this, I think that it is necessary to treat life easier. I think don't have to be very cunning and mislead people. Otherwise, people will never listen to music, because they will think that their brain is too cunning, and everything they hear is wrong.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My expectations were that one power supply unit would be enough. I really don't want to make two power supplies and it's strange to pick up voltage for them.
That is not how expectation (and other) bias (es) works. Being a subconscious process, It has nothing to do with your conscious expectations.

magicwolf

That is not how expectation (and other) bias (es) works. Being a subconscious process, It has nothing to do with your conscious expectations.
Are you a professional psychologist? Why are you trying to explain to me I can't think straight?! It's disrespectful, I can't communicate with you, as your remarks are essentially offensive and not useful to me.

Barrelhouse Solly

IIRC, in his test of the Allo Boss2, Amir tried it with Allo's high end power supply and a generic one. The measurements were about the same.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Really?! You're asking too much of me.

Asking for anecdotal claims to be taken seriously is what gets to be too much.

When I read this, I think that it is necessary to treat life easier.

In terms of going through day to day life, I agree.

I think don't have to be very cunning and mislead people. Otherwise, people will never listen to music, because they will think that their brain is too cunning, and everything they hear is wrong.

I'm not sure exactly what that means, but understanding how easily we are fooled into hearing 'things' can make it a lot easier to just ignore all the silly claims, particularly when a little bit of understanding about how it all works can go a long way.

Are you a professional psychologist? Why are you trying to explain to me I can't think straight?! It's disrespectful, I can't communicate with you, as your remarks are essentially offensive and not useful to me.

No one is intending disrespect. Are you open at all to the idea that what is being said here might have some validity? This industry capitalizes on ignorance. We try to be a place where evidence is king, and unsupported unlikely claims like those repeated ad-nauseum throughout the hi-end propaganda machine can be addressed based on actual evidence.

I hope you do more reading before you continue dismissing people who are trying to help.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
:rolleyes: Bad faith discussion - heading perilously close to the ignore list.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
He tells the truth, and before I read his posting I planned to post the same. Try to open up for things even (or especially) if they go against your current state of knowledge.

Top Bottom