• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Raspberry Pi USB : noisy?

G-rig

Yes I got a pi 4.. no need for expensive hats and all that, USB is great and so is the sound.

It seems like your noise issue is a genuine problem, a new pi4 is the best solution I can think of.
Most audiophiles worry about sounds they can't hear and go way over the top - something to take with a grain of salt.
You don't always need to spend thousands of dollars for a good setup.

Surely the day will come when more expensive devices and components include a raspberry Pi streamer built in.

Last edited:

G-rig

You must have missed the Bryston BDP-Pi - see HifiBerry's page for some more detail. This came out way back. Since then there have been others like the Project Stream Box S2 Ultra.
Cool I didn't see that - was merely stating that they are great for such a cheap item - it's probably just the configuration and software side that's a bit open ended.
sure, there are other devices around like the wiim/pro streamer, just not that many still and not one is perfect.
A mate has the CA Evo 150 - would be nice to get that and call it a day one day ;P

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A mate has the CA Evo 150 - would be nice to get that and call it a day one day ;P
Ease of use and broad compatibility make the Cambridge Audio offerings appealing. But I can't tell the difference sonically between my CA Edge, PI2-AES, my home-rolled PI, my Pro-Ject, the Volumio I used for a while, Running my NUC Roon server directly into my ADI DAC, and my IFI (or the streamer built into my KEFs). I keep meaning to compare my Google TV HDMI-TV-Optical to my PI w/Roon, but time hasn't permitted.

Yet @Tangband claims I haven't made any comparisons, so who knows?

G-rig

Ease of use and broad compatibility make the Cambridge Audio offerings appealing. But I can't tell the difference sonically between my CA Edge, PI2-AES, my home-rolled PI, my Pro-Ject, the Volumio I used for a while, Running my NUC Roon server directly into my ADI DAC, and my IFI (or the streamer built into my KEFs). I keep meaning to compare my Google TV HDMI-TV-Optical to my PI w/Roon, but time hasn't permitted.

Yet @Tangband claims I haven't made any comparisons, so who knows?

Yeah fun comparing gear when you have the money, patients and time - guess you figure out what works after a while and not that hard buying and selling stuff.
CA Evo too expensive anyway, as is Roon in AUS.. was tempting but heard that the smart playlist functions aren't as good as what Tidal does (track radio etc), but no doubt the best for mixing in your own collection.

Still haven't had a need or urge to upgrade from Volumio-Rpi4-Adi2 FS - Yamaha HS80M. Be nice if kef had some normal active monitors without all the streming and wifi stuff built in - not paying for that.

Ps. wouldn't worry about GTV, I've got one and reserve it for TV Movies (hdmi input to atmos soundbar & surrounds, eArc to TV... done).

carlmart

I wonder if it's too late to ask a question which is somehow related to the original on page 1. But I will go ahead and then you tell me.

The question: noise on the RP Pi 3B+ USB output compared to that from Pi 4. Is it worth to upgrade to model 4?

The whole system is PC > Ethernet link > Pi 3B+ with PiCorePlayer +LMS > USB output > Topping D50 DAC.

My only concerns until now had been with 3B+ switching supply (hard to replace with a linear one) and switching supply on the DAC output ICs.

But I must that audio quality reproduced by the DAC is superb, so I sort of forgot about these matters and enjoyed the music.

Now the itching began again and I wanted to invest some time researching on this matter again.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if it's too late to ask a question which is somehow related to the original on page 1. But I will go ahead and then you tell me.

The question: noise on the RP Pi 3B+ USB output compared to that from Pi 4. Is it worth to upgrade to model 4?

The whole system is PC > Ethernet link > Pi 3B+ with PiCorePlayer +LMS > USB output > Topping D50 DAC.

My only concerns until now had been with 3B+ switching supply (hard to replace with a linear one) and switching supply on the DAC output ICs.

But I must that audio quality reproduced by the DAC is superb, so I sort of forgot about these matters and enjoyed the music.

Now the itching began again and I wanted to invest some time researching on this matter again.
Instead of replacing the Pi, why don't you order a iSilencer+ to remove noise and see if it's worth it? Make sure to order from a store with a good return policy. Most tests of these devices show no improvement on the DAC output.

G-rig

Yes I'd get a RPi 4, doesn't have the noise issue that I've read about with the RPi3. You shouldn't need expensive fancy power and noise filters and silencers, they cost more than the RPi! Likewise no need for hats and optical. I use RPi4 via ethernet -> RME Adi2 FS -> Yamaha monitors via XLR and it's a great setup, running Volumio. Some DACs have better quality filters etc built in but should be straight forward not complicated if using USB.

0bs3rv3r

I did exactly that. They both sound exactly the same. The problem with the pi usb in models earlier than the 4, is not general noise issues, but occasional clicks/pops/stutters, and only if you are using wired ethernet. I used Wifi instead, and my 3B+ never had any problems at all. I bought a 4 just because it was cheap and I wanted to try it, but really it is wasted in this application. Maybe if you were doing a lot of stuff in the DSP you might get some value from the faster machine, but the music when playing normally sounds identical.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor

I have both. @0bs3rv3r is right about the pops/clicks but it's more complicated than just wired ethernet. Search for my previous posts about issue #2215 if you want technical details. I have never had that problem with PiCorePlayer on the 3B+ despite trying to provoke it. If you don't have that problem there's no reason to upgrade. Behaviour with ground loops or leakage currents may be different, but I don't know if anyone has measured it and it would depend on the rest of the system connections anyway.

carlmart

My main concern with wireless ethernet is audio quality. I was an audio professional for film & video for 40 years, and a cabled connection was ALWAYS better than wireless. Same thing with optical versus coaxial in DACs or interface. So for non serious listening I'm fine with BT or WF, but for high quality audio and video I am not.
My problems, when I first assembled my first system, was with the LMS interface. Cues that were not read or accepted and things like that. But I want to try it again, because when it did play the quality was outstanding. I don't know if any other free system can compare to that arrangement I had. Perhaps upgrade to latest PCP and a newer version of LMS, but it seems just that would be enough. Wired. I didn't experience any clicks, pops or stutters.

Jack Harrison

I’ve got an Allo Boss Dac hat on my Rpi3b but for reasons of convenience I’m using the usb port into a Cambridge Audio DacMagic at present. I run Moode and I’ve never heard any pops or clicks and if there‘s any other problem I’m incapable of hearing it, that’s using wired Ethernet.

0bs3rv3r

My main concern with wireless ethernet is audio quality. I was an audio professional for film & video for 40 years, and a cabled connection was ALWAYS better than wireless.

Very true with analog wireless, but with digital, you are playing the EXACT same data, it's just delivered differently, but once reassembled at the receiver and sitting in memory, there is no difference.

Jack Harrison

Did you compare the audio quality of the Allo with the Cambridge?
I would say they may be a little bit different though I wouldn’t stake my life on being able to tell which is which but equally good to my ears (Which I have to admit aren’t the finest of measuring instruments anymore but they've all I’ve got). I have a wiim mini connected by spdif to the Cambridge (so the Rpi and the Wiim are just taking up one source input on my amp and I switch between them on the DacMagic) and again I‘d say the same, maybe a little bit different, but equally good.
The reason I have both is that the Rpi does a better job of streaming ripped CDs from my server and the Wiim plays Amazon HD at high res.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In my experience the difference between wired and wireless is only functional. As others have said the digital transmission is exactly the same as tcp/ip has error correction so no data is lost. I have experienced drop outs when streaming larger files wirelessly from a server and then wirelessly to my rpi. The data connection was not fast enough when making two wireless hops. Plugging in the server to a wired connection fixed it. I have seen drop outs and pops when using moode on my 3b+ wired with a USB out to a DAC. My understanding is there is a bug that causes this. Switching to an i2s dac hat or using a rpi4 solved this. There is no sound quality difference though. Just a functional difference.

TaxTime

Hans Beekhuizen mentions that the usb 3.0 is more noisy than the 2.0 outputs... I wonder how much of this is true???
Before anyone flames, I know it's an old post, but did not see that anyone addressed it (or maybe I missed it).

He likely bases his assumption on the fact that USB 3.0 has been shown to interfere with 2.4ghz wifi signals at close range. Poorly shielded, it can also interfere with Bluetooth signals as well.

But this problem is not necessarily isolated to Raspberry Pi alone. It's a problem across various platforms (including MAC) and equipment.

As far as how AUDIBLE the interference is within the audio chain/equipment (it's in the gigahertz range after all), is another question.

Top Bottom