• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Raspberry DAC suggestion

piero.rossi

Hallo all,

I'm a new member, but a long time reader of the forum.
I really appreciate what Amirm does here.
Chapeau!

Well, I decided to register and write here because I'd like your help.
I have a Raspberry PI4 (and few Raspberry3) I'd like to transform into a music player.
I intend to use Moode Audio, I already tried it and really like it.
My idea is to use it to play my local media library, on a USB disk (or pendrive), use it as a Bluetooth player (for my daughter phone) and as a internet radio player.
Now, what I need from you is your suggestions on a good and cheap USB or I2S DAC, to be connected between the Raspberry and my HiFi system.
I would like to find a good one below 100 euro in price.
I know I could search the forum (and I did), but I cannot decide, there's simply too much material here for me!!!
Thank you in advance.

Madeintooting

If you're in Europe Audiophonics can supply both, USB and i2s, rather fond of Burr Brown myself but it's personal choice, they also do ESS and AKM.
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/devi....html?orderby=price&orderway=asc&orderway=asc

The Pi4 will power a USB Drive well, the 3s not so good, probably better over wifi from a server somewhere.

My personal preference is the 3A+, low power with dual band wifi, through an i2s Burr Brown dac.

Last edited:
OP
P

piero.rossi

Hello,

Thank you for your answer.
Yes, I'm in Europe, I'm Italian, to be more specific.
I will check Audiophonics for sure, thank you.
I will also evaluate the WiFi route for the media library; I already have a Linux Server running om the home net, so I could use that one as a media server, too.

jae

Major Contributor
There's also the option of getting an "RPi Hat dac" that directly mates with your Pi

OP
P

piero.rossi

I really like the topping D10s, I already read the amir's review.
But, is it supported by Moode Audio?
I can't find it in the supported DAC list in the GUI; but maybe the list is only for I2S DACs.
Are the USB DACs supported natively by Linux (Raspbian), so Moode Audio sees them as system audio cards?
If somebody can confirm me that the D10s is supported by Moode Audio, I will buy it!

Daverz

Major Contributor
I can't find it in the supported DAC list in the GUI; but maybe the list is only for I2S DACs.
Are the USB DACs supported natively by Linux (Raspbian), so Moode Audio sees them as system audio cards?
If somebody can confirm me that the D10s is supported by Moode Audio, I will buy it!

Yes, pretty much any USB2 DAC is supported natively by the OS.

http://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=3872&highlight=topping+d10

OP
P

piero.rossi

Have a look into Volumio:
https://volumio.org/
https://volumio.org/get-started/

Install it onto a Raspberry Pi, then you can use a phone or a tablet to control the Pi and play music stored either on a network or USB drive via any USB DAC connected to the Pi.

In the last few days, I tried Volumio and Moode Audio, and I decided in the end for the latter.
It has everything I need:
- Local and remote media library management
- Integrated NAS (I can use the spare part of the USB disk as a networked backup volume)
- Can work as a bluetooth renderer (useful for my daughter, which plays Youtube video audio tracks on the HiFi system)
- I can control playback using the web interface, or an app like M.A.L.P. on smartphones
- Nice internet radio management
- Can be used as an airplay/spotify/Squeezelite renderer
- Has a rich set of audio (MPD) and DSP settings

Volumio, instead, didn't satisfied me completely.

I only have to buy a nice DAC.

Reactions: trl

Thalis

When you connect a USB DAC directly to the Pi you do not need to specify any DAC. The list you saw is only for HATs.

MicroAudio

Audio Company
For me, the best combination after testing most of those players/software available to this task, I found Roon + Tidal is the best fit when it comes to the interface, ease of use, all I need was there and the sound quality was excellent with some cheap DAC from Aliexpress at around 40$ (Aoide)

Also, Roon works very well if you have a multiroom system in the future.

Hope that helps

OP
P

piero.rossi

For me, the best combination after testing most of those players/software available to this task, I found Roon + Tidal is the best fit when it comes to the interface, ease of use, all I need was there and the sound quality was excellent with some cheap DAC from Aliexpress at around 40$ (Aoide)

Also, Roon works very well if you have a multiroom system in the future.

Hope that helps

Thank you for the suggestion, I checked it.
Nice system, but you need a separate device for the Roon Core; since you cannot run it on a Raspberry, the only other device I could use for the Roon Core is my Linux Server.
Unfirtunately, I don't want to install Roon Core onto my server, since I'd like to leave it (the server) as clean as I can; actually, the file server holds all of my important data, and I'm using it for my daily job.
I don't want to add another device to the network (for Roon Core), so I'm out.
I know I could setup a virtual machine onto the server, with Roon Core running on Linux; but I find it too much complicated, when I can simply use a Raspberry and Moode Audio.
However, thanks again for the suggestion!

OP
P

piero.rossi

Stupid question:

What about using a USB-C Dongle as a DAC for my amplfier?
I mean, could I connect a USB-C Dongle to my Raspberry PI4, and then route its output to my Amplifier?
I just read the Amir's review of Apple USB-C Dongle; it happens my daughter owns one, I still have to search for it (she can't recall where she left it).
Do you think it will be a feasible route?
I can adapt the output impedance to the amplifier input.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
It will work. Just use a 3.5mm jack to phono cable, like this:

1625833605143.png

MicroAudio

Audio Company
Thank you for the suggestion, I checked it.
Nice system, but you need a separate device for the Roon Core; since you cannot run it on a Raspberry, the only other device I could use for the Roon Core is my Linux Server.
Unfirtunately, I don't want to install Roon Core onto my server, since I'd like to leave it (the server) as clean as I can; actually, the file server holds all of my important data, and I'm using it for my daily job.
I don't want to add another device to the network (for Roon Core), so I'm out.
I know I could setup a virtual machine onto the server, with Roon Core running on Linux; but I find it too much complicated, when I can simply use a Raspberry and Moode Audio.
However, thanks again for the suggestion!

You can use any old PC for Roon

usersky

Forum Donor
RPI3b + Soundblaster G6 (usb powered) + moode + PEQ for room correction, over wifi, works like a charm. Really happy with the setup and use my RPI4s for more demanding tasks (idle in a drawer for now, to be more specific :D).

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You can also try using an Asus Tinker Board instead of a Pi. I think it is a better SBC. Not sure about the latest Pi 4, but prior to it the Tinker Board had a far superior USB out to run into a dac.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can use any old PC for Roon

I moved to a dedicated NUC. It appears the primary drag on the host is if you are using EQ or running multiple streams. My guess is the next version of the Pi will be a candidate (although it would be nice if ROCK ran on non-Intel hardware, since that distro helps with efficiency).

MicroAudio

Audio Company
I moved to a dedicated NUC. It appears the primary drag on the host is if you are using EQ or running multiple streams. My guess is the next version of the Pi will be a candidate (although it would be nice if ROCK ran on non-Intel hardware, since that distro helps with efficiency).

I am using Rpi 4 with 4GB RAM, everything is running fine with two rooms + my PC, streaming to all zones at once and all is working good.

Top Bottom