• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Questions: sundara and lcdx - amp, dac, intrface

Hello,
i need some advice.
First,
my headphones are the sundara and lcd-x.
My favorite headphones i listened to are these both of course and the hd 600, lcd c (bass perfect) and the dt880.
I mostly listen to electronic music, hiphop and also some industrial, classic and guitar music.

I used my focusrite 6i6 and my old focusrite 18i6 as a dac and amp.

But now i want a better amp because i read that the sundara need more juice than the 6i6 has to offer. Is that right?

1. first question is: can i use my 6i6 as a dac and buy just an amp and connect it with the 6i6?

2.if so, which amp would you recommend? (not more than 200 euro)

3. if not which dac, amp combo would you recommend?

4. what about the the topping dx3 pro+ for me?

5. i also like the idea of a mobile dac, amp combo for my phone. And there i would also spend more money because i could listen to way more music in better quality when i am not at home.

What about the mojo 1. mojo2? Chronos? Groove?

6. maybe the recommendation relates to my preference for electronic music?

thank you very much.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,
i need some advice.
First,
my headphones are the sundara and lcd-x.
My favorite headphones i listened to are these both of course and the hd 600, lcd c (bass perfect) and the dt880.
I mostly listen to electronic music, hiphop and also some industrial, classic and guitar music.

I used my focusrite 6i6 and my old focusrite 18i6 as a dac and amp.

But now i want a better amp because i read that the sundara need more juice than the 6i6 has to offer. Is that right?

1. first question is: can i use my 6i6 as a dac and buy just an amp and connect it with the 6i6?

2.if so, which amp would you recommend? (not more than 200 euro)

3. if not which dac, amp combo would you recommend?

4. what about the the topping dx3 pro+ for me?

5. i also like the idea of a mobile dac, amp combo for my phone. And there i would also spend more money because i could listen to way more music in better quality when i am not at home.

What about the mojo 1. mojo2? Chronos? Groove?

6. maybe the recommendation relates to my preference for electronic music?

thank you very much.

Hello!

Sundara and LCD-X are both excellent headphones - good choice.

I keep reading people saying Sundara needs a lot of juice as well. That is not entirely correct.That is bullshit. Sundara is NOT a power hungry headphone, and it is a happy camper if you can supply it with 50mW under normal listening conditions. At 125mW it can produce 115dB SPL and I don't think you'd need more power than that. I am not sure what are the specs of 6i6, but if it can supply that kind of power, then you are golden power wise.

There are tons of HPAs and DAC/HPA combos in the market that perform wonderful. If I were you, I'd go to Review Index, search for Headphone Amp and read the reviews of the recommended products that fit the budget, and chose based on preference. You can not go wrong with any of them.

DX3 Pro+ is a good option as well.

Personally I'd stay away from all Chord products. Not that they are bad, but they are for sure not worth the money.

For mobile:
> If you don't need an EQ, checkout Hidizs S9 Pro. It can output 200mW balanced and it is on sale for $79 at the moment.
> If you also want a DSP/EQ solution, then go for Qudelix 5K, should be around $120.

Top Bottom