• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question for which headphone to buy between Sennheiser HD6XX vs Drop Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X Headphones or drop x Focal Elex Headphones

OP
S

Shando

There is no better heat dispersion (it does not get warm) nor shielding in this case.
Atom+ is very lightweight by itself and will move on your desk when you tug lightly on the headphone cable. The Hevi one just has more weight to it so it stays put on the desk a little better.
Thank you for all your advice, I actually went with the Topping L30 ii from Aliexpress as I was able to negotiate with a seller for $130 for it. might as well keep my DAC and Amp the same to match.

Focusing on the fact I am upgrading my home theater set up more now over the headphones as the HD6XX seems fine for now and I am hoping the Topping L30 ii brings out the value in them. They do already sound a bit better than the PC38X from just being plugged into my case for now.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
L30-II is likely all you will ever need.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Probably a 3.5mm TRS stereo jack to 2x RCA,

temium_cordn_j3_52_rca_s1708144282531A_154514392.JPG

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Cable connector quality can matter a bit (sloppy connectors).
Amazon basics will be fine.

OP
S

Shando

Cable connector quality can matter a bit (sloppy connectors).
Amazon basics will be fine.
Just wanna make sure I have it set right, the Topping L30 should be set to HPA and the gain as low as possible while still sounding good? I have the two RCA cables going from the Input to my computer front headphone/mic 3.5mm aux port?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Just wanna make sure I have it set right, the Topping L30 should be set to HPA and the gain as low as possible while still sounding good? I have the two RCA cables going from the Input to my computer front headphone/mic 3.5mm aux port?
Yep, set the gain so you have a usable volume control range.
3.5mm aux out (or HP out when not available as a separate output).

OP
S

Shando

Yep, set the gain so you have a usable volume control range.
3.5mm aux out (or HP out when not available as a separate output).
What is HP? HPA?

My front aux port on my computer is meant for those single headphone/microphone aux port.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
HP = HeadPhone
PC often has line-out, headphone out and mic input separate in/out jacks. In these cases the line-out is preferred over the headphone out.
In laptops/tables/phones there is only one 3.5mm TRRS jack that has audio out and mic-remote in.
There are 2 different standards for the mic/remote.
A regular TRS (Tip Ring Sleeve) connector will always 'short' the mic/remote input and ensure a proper 'return' signal for audio.

OP
S

Shando

Oh, my computer case has a TRRS port, but I should be using the green line out port on the motherboard instead?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Oh, my computer case has a TRRS port, but I should be using the green line out port on the motherboard instead?

Yep, that would be the preferred output unless you have a decent sound-card installed.

OP
S

Shando

Yep, that would be the preferred output unless you have a decent sound-card installed.
Ok, thank you I will move the connection to the Green Line Out on the back, I was using it for my PC38X headphone with the mic, but I can use the other cable for the TRRS on the front of my desktop. Only issue is that the TRRS cable is much shorter which is a bit annoying.

WhenKittensATK

I have the first run of HD6XX and a Focal Elex from Nov 2021 @ $550. I prefer the Elex. I would recommend it when its on sale. I've seen quite a few complaints about the Elex going dead in one channel, but no issues for me so far.

Top Bottom