• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question for which headphone to buy between Sennheiser HD6XX vs Drop Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X Headphones or drop x Focal Elex Headphones

Shando

I was told the Sennheiser HD6XX is very good for its price at a much cheaper price compared to the non Massdrop version, but the bass is a bit lacking. I see Massdrop also have the Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X and Focal Elex Headphones, but never heard much discussion about them or if they are worth the upgrade. I am pretty new to headphones and I have been using the Drop PC38X for gaming, not sure if I can tell if there is only a slight upgrade or side grade difference between the first 3 headphones listed. I am planning on buying an amp which is maybe the Topping L70 or A30 Pro unless there are other recommendations for amps too please.

The Dan Clark Audio Aeon Closed X and Focal Elex are more expensive, but I do have a 20% off coupon which makes them more affordable and worth the upgrade for the price difference along with Drop refunding the tax right now.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Very different headphones. What you will like best in terms of sound and comfort... no one can tell except you.
Some will prefer HD6XX, others the DCA and yet others the Focal.
So... you will be getting recommendations based on personal findings and preferences of others that may not reflect yours.

Seeing that you are using PC38X the HD6XX is closer to that (but with less bass and narrower stereo image)
The closed X will be more 'laid back' in sound. The Focal will be closer to HD6XX but might sound a bit 'metallic' in the treble compared to the others.
Some don't care or hear it. Some are bothered by it.

You can also EQ headphones if you want a slightly different sound.

Both mentioned amps will do fine. Choose on form factor or connectivity (connector types used), price and looks.

OP
S

Shando

Thank you for your response, I know the HD6XX the bass is said to be lacking a bit, but I am not a big bass head so it may be fine for me as long as there is some bass. The PC38X has less bass than the HD6XX, so it will be an upgrade overall in that regard and a wider stereo image which is good. I like listening to all kinds of music for the most part from pop music, rap, hip hop, R&B, country, and orchestral music like the music from Zelda, World of Warcraft or movies like Star Wars, Everything Everywhere All At Once, 1917, etc. Trying to learn more about to EQ stuff to my liking.

The PC38X feels mostly fine, but feels a bit lacking in I guess stereo image for what I want really. Is there any other headphones you would recommend under $600 or to keep an eye for that goes on sale around there?

I might go with the L70 since it is cheaper and should work with all those headsets right?

I know they are not headphones, but I have JBL 305p MKII with the JBL LSR310S with the Topping E30 DAC and I been pretty happy with how they sound. Haven't really messed with their settings though

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
actually it is the other way around.
The PC38X has more bass than HD6XX and due to the angled drivers the PC38X has better stereo imaging.
Tonally they are not far off (with a good seal).
As the PC38X is closed a little seal breaking will result in much less bass so in that circumstances the HD6XX will have more midbass.

You do not need a lot of power to drive either headphone. A small Schiit amp, Topping, JDS labs or SMSL (and similar) will be more than enough.

OP
S

Shando

I saw some recommendations for the Hifiman Edition XS and I been considering the Hifiman Ananda Stealth Magnet version too as it is only $549 new right now.

Though I saw the Hifiman B-Stock Arya Stealth Magnet version is only $999.00 right now which if there is a big upgrade over the Edition XS or the Ananda which I heard is only a side grade to the Edition XS I might spend the money for an Arya. Though there is an open box Focal Clear for $789 on Ebay rn I am considering also.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
They are more of the same with some small differences in sound but are different in comfort (headband).
To certain people the small differences are worth it, for others they are not.
No way to tell if it would be worth it to you.
A headphone could be B-stock for several reasons. One of the reasons could be one you might regret (cosmitical, channel imbalance... who knows) or might just have been a returned item or damage to a box and be fine otherwise.

OP
S

Shando

I asked Hifiman about their B-Stock and they gave me this information. So I am not too worried about that.

Even the Hifiman Arya is just a small difference compared to the Ananda, Edition XS, and Focal Elex?

"The B-stock products are all tested in good working condition but may have slight cosmetic defects (most of them don't). Those products also come with accessories and HIFIMAN's standard warranty. If you are not satisfied with the product for any reason, you can return the item in 30 days.
Compared to the ANANDA, the Arya is a more advanced model. Many audiophiles think the Arya offers more details and a wider soundstage. If you have a budget of around $1000, the B-stock Arya will be a better choice."​

Which headphone would have better durability? I heard Focals are expensive to replace pads for the headpad and the earpads also their headband could be prone to snapping. Hifiman had quality control issues too from what I heard.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Even the Hifiman Arya is just a small difference compared to the Ananda, Edition XS, and Focal Elex?
Not the Focal Elex as that one is quite different.

Durability I don't know.
All pads eventually wear out.
Also headband padding will go bad.
plastics can become weaker/break.
Drivers should last a lifetime.
The hifiman I own(ed) never had any issues. The more of them that exist the higher the chance is you will find one with driver issues.
When a headphone becomes defective people will complain.
When they work fine you'll hear nothing about build quality.

OP
S

Shando

Ah ok, thank you.

I think I might go for the Hifiman Ananda then.

Do you know anything about the KEF LS50 and LS50 meta?

Also the KEF R series?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I cannot possibly tell you if that is a good decision for you. The Ananda sounds pretty good. A bit lean in the bass and with the usual 'hifiman sharpness' in the treble.
When that happens to be in an area where your ears are less sensitive you might not be bothered by it and even like it.
You can EQ in some bass.
Not everyone likes the large pads but the headband is generally liked better than the one found on the XS.

I heard the LS50 once ... in a hifi store... briefly.
Also may have briefly heard one or 2 R series speakers in 'passing by' moments when someone was listening to them so have no opinion of those.

OP
S

Shando

I cannot possibly tell you if that is a good decision for you. The Ananda sounds pretty good. A bit lean in the bass and with the usual 'hifiman sharpness' in the treble.
When that happens to be in an area where your ears are less sensitive you might not be bothered by it and even like it.
You can EQ in some bass.
Not everyone likes the large pads but the headband is generally liked better than the one found on the XS.

I heard the LS50 once ... in a hifi store... briefly.
Also may have briefly heard one or 2 R series speakers in 'passing by' moments when someone was listening to them so have no opinion of those.
Sorry, do you know how much the L70 was on Massdrop by chance when they carried it? Trying to see if it is worth buying on Aliexpress for $300 or waiting for Drop to carry it again and using a 20% coupon for it.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I do not own nor ever played with the L70 nor watched pricing.
The L70 seems like a good option for those having a balanced DAC/source and want XLR4, 4.4mm Pentaconn and 6.3mm TRS jack (note: the output is not balanced, nor is this needed, the connectors are for convenience)

€ 300.- seems right for what it offers (relay volume control, good performance, small form factor, display, pre-out, low noise, RCA + XLR in)

OP
S

Shando

Ok, thank you. Do you have any other amps under $300 to get that would be good for the Arya/Ananda down the line? I seen someone recommend Schitt Asgard saying it would make the Arya's sound lean and harsh

solderdude

Grand Contributor
OP
S

Shando

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It's all subjective opinions based on God knows what 'personal findings' or motivations or gripes they have towards specific brands.

OP
S

Shando

I think I am save some money for now and go with just the JDS Atom+ and wait for the Hifiman Arya Stealth Magnet to drop even more on sale now. I am use the 6XX for now as I am gonna spend more money on a home theater set up instead and upgrade the headphones over the 6XX later. There is a pretty good deal on home theater speakers I think is a good brand for like $3,500 that I want to do since those are on clearance and apparently Hifiman's drop in price pretty fast. Thank you for your advice, will get the JDS Atom+ Hevi. Is metal better than plastic for heat dispersion for it?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
There is no better heat dispersion (it does not get warm) nor shielding in this case.
Atom+ is very lightweight by itself and will move on your desk when you tug lightly on the headphone cable. The Hevi one just has more weight to it so it stays put on the desk a little better.

thecity2

I just ordered an L70 and then canceled and ordered the Schiit Magnius which is $100 $150 cheaper and has pretty much the same functionality and measurements (using the balanced output).

Top Bottom