• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Question about "balanced" outputs

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked multiple times before, but I am wondering...

I just got a "balanced cable" so I can connect my headphones to the Balanced output of my HP amplifier.

According to specs, the output power is about thrice what it is with 6.35mm jack (240mW@300Ohm versus 72mW@300Ohm for 6.35)

So I expected to get undecent volume at same setting (about 70%).

But what I got is... NOTHING. Volume is exactly the same with XLR 4 pins and Jack 6.35mm.

Is this normal ? Can the difference only be heard at full volume ? Or is the 70% volume setting not the same on 6.35mm and on Balaced 4-Pin XLR ?

If you'd have an answer I'd be a taker :)

Regards.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Depends on the Amp's gain structure.
Which one do you have?

OP
P

PenguinMusic

Hi,

Noticed that on both AUNE S6 (not pro unfortunately) and on Fiio m11 Pro DAP.

I'll try it on AUNE X7s which should have 1000mW@300Ohm as output.

Regards.

TRIED ON AUNE X7s : whole other story :) Much more power indeed at same level !

Last edited:

danadam

According to specs, the output power is about thrice what it is with 6.35mm jack (240mW@300Ohm versus 72mW@300Ohm for 6.35)

So I expected to get undecent volume at same setting (about 70%).
Not sure what you mean by "undecent volume". Just from the numbers it should be about 5 dB louder, which is noticeable but not extremely different. See pink noise example in attachment.

Attachments

• pink_noise.flac.zip
    555.5 KB · Views: 63
OP
P

PenguinMusic

Hi,

Sorry for late reply. By "undecent" I meant, "really much louder".

I mean when you move from 250mW to 1W, you should hear a differecne that is not a small one, don't you ?

But anyways, the difference is there indeed. So good to have it :)

danadam

I mean when you move from 250mW to 1W, you should hear a differecne that is not a small one, don't you ?
It's usually accepted that doubling the perceived loudness requires 10 dB change. For power, 10 dB happens to be 10x. You would need a change from 250 mW to 2.5 W to perceive it is twice as loud. A change from 250 mW to 1 W is only 6 dB, so it's a little more than the example from before.

Trell

Major Contributor
It's usually accepted that doubling the perceived loudness requires 10 dB change. For power, 10 dB happens to be 10x. You would need a change from 250 mW to 2.5 W to perceive it is twice as loud. A change from 250 mW to 1 W is only 6 dB, so it's a little more than the example from before.
I wonder how many 300 Ohm headphones can survive 1 W, very few is my guess.

OP
P

PenguinMusic

Hi,

OK. Thanks a lot for your answers.

So the math is a little more complicated than what I thought. I thought that if the output power was doubled, the sound would be significantly louder, but that is not true. It will be louder, but not significantly.

And indeed, I was not planning to listen with max volume :) On the AUNE X7S which can deliver about 1.7W under 32Ohm, I think that with unefficient Dan Clark AEON I would have to listen to a lot less than half the volume knob. Well, I have to go at least clode to it to get sound level that I like, which means not really loud... I'll give it a "sufficient". On the S6, I have to crank that up to 70%.

But that gives dsome margin :)

Top Bottom