• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pinout of 4-pin balanced output? And Topping L70 question

mike7877

Addicted to Fun and Learning
1700656114606.png

Say I'm making a balanced headphone cable...

Which of these pins would go to L and R, and which are (+) , and (-) ?

I've tried looking, but apparently this is still a relatively obscure connector...

If I'm unable to find/make an appropriate male end for this connector, would using the 4.4mm be the same thing internally in the L70?

About the L70... I noticed that the output impedance of single-ended (1/4" jack) is 0.1 ohms, while balanced is 0.2 ohms. Also, measured power increases dramatically using balanced - for example, at 32 ohms single-ended, power output is rated to be 2.3W at 0.1% THD+n, while 32 ohms balanced, power output is rated 7.5W 0.1% THD. P

The dramatic power output increase + doubled output impedance suggest to me the balanced output is operating bridge mode. I could be wrong about this, but I don't think so - single-ended peak to peak voltage is spec'd to be 26V, while "balanced" is 52V.
Bridge mode? Or something else?

Blorg

This is a very common connector, it's 4 pin XLR. You would want to search for something like "balanced xlr 4 headphone pin out". The 4.4mm will work exactly the same, yes, but you will be able to find male XLR balanced headphone cables, (or just the connector) they are very common. If anything even more common than 4.4mm which is a more recent connector, before 4.4 Pentaconn balanced headphone outs were mostly 4 pin XLR.

HiFiMAN_Pin_Diagram.gif

Top Bottom