• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

QC45 / QC35 II sub-$500 upgrade worth it?

mjnichol

I currently have both a QC45 and QC35 II. I noticed they both have favorable reviews on here from Amir (with or without EQ)

I have a topping DX1 on the way as I wanted to see if I notice a benefit feeding the headphones wired with HiRes audio (DSD, 24-bit FLAC) versus the 320kbps AAC stream via Bluetooth (and it seemed like a reasonable $100 investment that will also benefit me in the future if I do buy more expensive headphones).
I also started using EQ, for now just the MathAudio EQ plugin for Foobar2000.

My question is whether I would hear a noticeable difference in any sub $500 headphone versus either of these? The HD 600/650/6XX have decent reviews, but not clear that they are noticeably better than the two Bose models. Maybe the HiFiMan Sundara? Likely the Dan Clark Aeon X, but that's getting right at the top of the $500 range.

Curious to hear your thoughts. I suspect they'll fall into two camps: Bose or bluetooth simply can't compare to the other options here and you'd see a noticeable improvement; versus, you may see some improvements, but what you have is 90% of the way there.

OP
M

mjnichol

Tried out the Topping DX1 with the QC35 II today (and recommended EQ setting) and really impressed with the resulting sound. To me it's a very clear improvement over Bluetooth. Sounds like I'm in the symphony hall (albeit the first row :D).

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My question is whether I would hear a noticeable difference in any sub $500 headphone versus either of these?
I would say yes, open headphone sound profile is very different to that of QC series. I'd recommend you to get any of the HD6__ series headphones you mentioned, probably the 6XX as you can get them for $200, even lower when on sale.

doalt

I would say yes, open headphone sound profile is very different to that of QC series. I'd recommend you to get any of the HD6__ series headphones you mentioned, probably the 6XX as you can get them for $200, even lower when on sale.
Fully agree with the suggestion.

You will likely hear noticeable differences, but the feeling of "upgrade" is subjective. Open-back wired headphones are heavier, harder to carry, doesn't block noise, can't take a phone call etc. How much improvement on sound quality is worth the trade-off? Only you can answer for yourself.

DS_Construct

OP
M

mjnichol

I think they are great overall and very happy with the purchase.
The outside noise is not as big a factor as I thought it might be and I feel that I'm getting some more indirect sound versus the closed backs that I have. This seems to provide a better blend to the sound.

kestrel4

I currently have both a QC45 and QC35 II. I noticed they both have favorable reviews on here from Amir (with or without EQ)

I have a topping DX1 on the way as I wanted to see if I notice a benefit feeding the headphones wired with HiRes audio (DSD, 24-bit FLAC) versus the 320kbps AAC stream via Bluetooth (and it seemed like a reasonable $100 investment that will also benefit me in the future if I do buy more expensive headphones).
I also started using EQ, for now just the MathAudio EQ plugin for Foobar2000.

My question is whether I would hear a noticeable difference in any sub $500 headphone versus either of these? The HD 600/650/6XX have decent reviews, but not clear that they are noticeably better than the two Bose models. Maybe the HiFiMan Sundara? Likely the Dan Clark Aeon X, but that's getting right at the top of the $500 range.

Curious to hear your thoughts. I suspect they'll fall into two camps: Bose or bluetooth simply can't compare to the other options here and you'd see a noticeable improvement; versus, you may see some improvements, but what you have is 90% of the way there.
How did it go? I have the same question, so I am going to try out a "Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro" this week to see if I appreciate the open soundscape. Then I may think about Sennheiser HD650 which seems to be at a reduced price at present. (In Europe the HD650 is priced lower than I can get the HD6xx delivered from the US).

The QC35ii is great for convenience, comfort and just about everything; but I have a sense I am missing something. It's hard to get sensible evaluations from the hundreds of podcasting fanboys and loudmouths out there.

OP
M

mjnichol

See #7 above for most of my thoughts. If you have a quiet enough space, then highly recommended. The added spaciousness to the sound is the big difference.

kestrel4

That didn't take long.
Yes the DT990 PRO soundstage is somewhat wider than the QC35ii but I don't like its sound. Is the word 'uncomfortable', quite piercing at the higher end, the right description? I put the DT990 PRO through a Douk U3 amp so as not to prejudice it due to its high impedance. Maybe I am too familiar with the Bose and need to give the Beyerdynamic more time but I don't feel I want to; I am not rushing out to buy the DT990 PRO and will happily return this one to my grandson for his gaming.
I have fallen in love with my QC35ii all over again and am reconsidering the upgrade. I would be so cross if I had a similar experience with a replacement (such as an HD650). Maybe open-backs are not for me and I need the bass more than I cared to admit.
Post script: I tested the open-back DT990 PRO for sound leakage, using an AT-2020 microphone, comparing it with the closed back QC35ii. Nothing at all when simulating normal usage, which really surprised me because it is a sensitive microphone.

doalt

Is the word 'uncomfortable', quite piercing at the higher end, the right description?
DT990 PRO is famous for its piercing treble. Some people find it uncomfortable, or even painful. It is characteristic of this headphone, not all open-backs.

I have fallen in love with my QC35ii all over again and am reconsidering the upgrade. I would be so cross if I had a similar experience with a replacement (such as an HD650).
Based on my experience with Bose and Sennheiser HD598, HD650, their likely sound more similar than different, definitely not as extreme as DT990. Still it's better if you can try them out or find a store with good return policy in case you don't like them.

kestrel4

I've decided. Until I can listen to a set of phones long enough to get familiarised, I am not going to risk the upgrade. The DT990 PROs are certainly piercing but I am learning to enjoy their clarity and would love to experience other open-backed audiophile phones. Unfortunately the returns policy of European suppliers will not allow me to try them out. They want them returned boxed and sealed.

OP
M

mjnichol

If you look at the DT 990 Pro at autoeq.app website I can see why it sounds a bit piercing. There's a big peak at 6kHz and it's raised from about 5kHz onwards.
Have you considering using EQ with your headphones to tame this?

kestrel4

Thanks. I'd only borrowed the DT990 to try out open-backs but its piercing treble was an uncomfortable surprise. However... I did like the sound-space and clarity so, contrary to my last post, I've bought an HD560s and am enjoying the experience.

x-dfo

Qc35ii is a fantastic headphone, is it really audiophile? hmm it's pretty darn close and it actually has an enjoyable vibe.

kestrel4

Agreed. But, having tried the DT990 and the HD560s for something closer to 'audiophile, I have to say how very good the QC35ii is in sound and comfort. The bluetooth and noise reduction flim-flam is an nice extra! I've sent back the HD560s and will have to think about something in a higher league if I want to be blown away by an audiophile experience.

Top Bottom