• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Q Acoustics 3020i Bookshelf Speaker Review

hawk01

i have a query about the 3020i. i see this review revealing the possible shortcomings of this speaker when expected to play the low frequencies. given its other merits would it perform well hooked up to a home theater avr utilizing bass management and subwoofer to handle the low end? in that way, its only required to play the mid to high freqs? would appreciate everyone’s thoughts. after giving the humble avr a hard look i am seriously considering its virtues of bass management ergo not having the need for standmounters with low end heft which are usually larger and pricier.

Matsuo Mayu

Finally a scientific review for 3020i, thanks ! Nevertheless I pre-ordered 3020i, waiting for shipment. That would be fair pay if buying just for its treble, planning to built up a 2.1 system, so how badly the bass perform would not bother me lol~ :cool:

quadrobust

I just found this Yamaha subwoofer that has HPF and XLR input and output. Would this be a good pairing with the Topping PA5 and Q acoustic 3020i? I'm thinking that I can do Topping DX7 pro balanced out to Yamaha HS8 XLR in, then XLR out to TRS in for Topping PA5. I know it may be an overkill just to remediate the weakness in bass for the 3020i, but I actually like how the 3020i sounds in my small office and don't feel like replacing it with something bigger or more expensive, just want to do better in the lower frequencies.

kaopad999

I own the Q acoustics 2020i's
Despite their limitations and slight issues, they are still a fun speaker to listen to. They image and soundstage well
If you can pick them up cheap, i'd still say they're worth it.

did yomeone here try the 3010is? would they be viable for a very small room (4x3m) at rather moderate listening levels for a home theater? (movie watching and gaming). would use a sub.

Willem

Major Contributor
We have a set of 3010s in our bedroom system (same size room). They are fine for that but will not play very loud. They also sounded a bit harsh before I tamed the highs with the tone control on the CCA. Next time I might buy the Wharfedale 12.0s in the same price and size category.

Thanks for your time!

What do you think is better about the wharfdale?

Would you say the 3010 are detailed and have a decent soundstage?

Djsedaw

What influenced you to buy the 3050s? Do you like the 3050s? How would you describe their sound?
They looked good, a good price and they sounded nice to me, but they are big and a little unstable, then I knocked one over and damaged the drivers, so now I have the clumsy idiot friendly:

1705135291326.png

I ordered the 3050s, my first floorstanding loudspeaker, directly from Q-Acoustics USA, they arrived safely via UPS. Why not Amazon? Because of negative reviews regarding arrival condition & completeness there! I ran the 3050s in, using a pink noise YT channel, in anti-phase facing one another in a spare room. Then I set up in my listening room in the same position as my previous modified Paradigm speakers. The 3050 is a very impressive speaker. It has taken my listening to the next level.
On certain older recordings bass is over emphasised & not tuneful. I tried the supplied foam port bungs but the're not totally effective. I searched for rubber bungs online & found the Everbilt 3" rubber garbage disposal stopper ($6) at Home Depot, a perfect fit, much better. Other speakers with small ports could probably use a regular drain stoppers!

glooka

I'm a bit confused: in the review index these speakers are recommended, but in the actual review they are not.

Top Bottom