• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PSI Audio monitors - do they measure well?

Hmast

I agree.

The A23 was using PSI’s best technology when released, a better mid range driver than the one used for A25 at the time. But then PSI updated their A25 with a new midrange driver and it’s now hard to say which one is technically superior in term of technology.

As for the sound, the A25 is bigger and more powerful, it’s capable of more compared to an A23.

Martijn W

For who is interested; I will be selling my pair of A21-M (2020 model) in metal black.
I am living in the Netherlands (near German border).

They are in perfect condition, inc. boxes and everything.

Thursday I picked up A17's (latest model). A17-M seem to fit my small nearfield situation better than the A21-M.

Martijn W

I agree.

The A23 was using PSI’s best technology when released, a better mid range driver than the one used for A25 at the time. But then PSI updated their A25 with a new midrange driver and it’s now hard to say which one is technically superior in term of technology.

As for the sound, the A25 is bigger and more powerful, it’s capable of more compared to an A23.
I believe PSI positions the A25 as their best monitor.

But it depends on the situation/application what is best.
As I just posted I will be selling my A21 because A17 fit my situation better. Though I am pretty sure that A21-M is the superior model.

Hmast

A17’s are so good with APO Analyzer software to correct the bass response. I’ve used a DEQ2496 to support my EQing process.

A17 could be better for two reasons in your context:

1) better midrange thanks to smaller bass driver (in theory, not sure at all in practice)
2) less bass so if you’re not using correcting the bass in your room, it may trigger even more your room acoustic modes.

Martijn W

I love the midrange of A17!!! Bass is actually very good in this situation. They seem to extend a lot furhter than specified. My room is treated ,but it is not perfect. Now I seem to have a bass boost just where they drop off (I have not measured yet but I believe around 35-40hz or so). Lovely :)

Another top-grade product from PSI! That became immediately clear after hooking them up.
I must admit I like the metal black color of my 21s better than the studio red of the 17s. But it is fine. MUCH better in real life than on the pictures.

Docteur Poulet

Forum Donor
I have been directly to the manufactory because I'm living in Switzerland next to it.
I have speaking with the commercial and said that the A23 is the state of the art model. He said even the new A25 is not as good as the A23.

I came to test the A14 vs A17 vs A21 and went with a pair of A23

Attachments

• PXL_20221028_125237341.jpg
    PXL_20221028_125237341.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 202

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Something about acoustic impedance, I bought two and they did work, approx 5dB reduction in low bass, I estimated I would need at least two more, they so work but you need a number of them and they are expensive, easier to EQ although of course the PSIs take care of the cancellations as well.
Keith

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have speaking with the commercial and said that the A23 is the state of the art model. He said even the new A25 is not as good as the A23.

I came to test the A14 vs A17 vs A21 and went with a pair of A23
Looks like they said it just because your placement allowed to use A23 and not A25.
Customer came for A14-A17 vs A21 and went happily with A23. Five-star commercial!
A23 conceptually is a A21 with dedicated midrange, so can be used much closer that A25.

IMO older revision pair of A25 require at least 2,3 m for proper "cohesion". But they can throw bigger image and maybe even work as mains with subwoofer support.

Docteur Poulet

Forum Donor
(please pardon my broken English, I speak croissant)

In 2019, I went to the factory for listening some of them speakers. I remember having a really good impression of both A17 and the new A23 which was the best listening even between the Heritage 3 (basically a revamped A25m for the hifi market).

For my listening room, I was hesitating between A14/A17 + sub or A21.
When I listened for the second time all the PSI range, the difference between the A17 and A21 was "impressive": more open, more fluid, less "compression" effect and so on.
But I also had the opportunity to listen the A21 vs A23. My benchmark was "time" from Hanz Zimmer. There is a violon crescendo with tons of audio layers. The difference between both was good enough that I finally broke my wallet for a pair of A23.

Having said that, I have done the comparison between A23 vs A25 + A225 and I remembered having a better listening experience with the A23.
This is their best speaker period.
Even if the A25 is more expensive and go deeper, the mid is better on the A23.
The A23 is the speaker that national medias in Switzerland use. The A23 also wins an ABX test between PMC, Neumann and so on for the next modular studios from BBC.

Attachments

• PXL_20230113_151024394.jpg
    PXL_20230113_151024394.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 307

Martijn W

that sounds promising!

looking at the picture feels weird. like haring a discussion about how well a Porsche 911 drives, and then seeing a picture of someone who is using it to roam the beach.. :(

such monitors deserve proper placement in a well treated room.

i hope it is better than it seems to me by looking at the picture..

Docteur Poulet

Forum Donor
The room is far from being bad, having said that far from being perfect.
I bought these A23 with the idea of keeping them a very long time. In the future, I hope they will have a better room

Last edited:

james57

The room is far from being bad, having said far from being perfect.
I bought these A23 with the idea of keeping them a very long time. In the future, I hope they will have a better room
Looks nice, I noticed you are using a rme adi unless I am mistaken, are you using the eq to do some room correction ? Btw I also have a pair of A23 + E15 and am smiling every day..

jlo

The A23 also wins an ABX test between PMC, Neumann and so on for the next modular studios from BBC.
I did MMM measurements at a 2m listening position of both PSI A23M and Neumann KH310 at same place in a room, without any correction :
A23-KH310.jpg
Both are vey good above 200Hz (+-3db with 1/6th octave smoothing). The strange thing is that below 200Hz, the PSI shows a better behaviour on the graphs but also in listening tests (A23 is more expensive than KH310 !). I wonder if this is due to their AOI technology which is some kind of servo control of the voicecoil movement.

james57

I did MMM measurements at a 2m listening position of both PSI A23M and Neumann KH310 at same place in a room, without any correction : View attachment 260868Both are vey good above 200Hz (+-3db with 1/6th octave smoothing). The strange thing is that below 200Hz, the PSI shows a better behaviour on the graphs but also in listening tests (A23 is more expensive than KH310 !). I wonder if this is due to their AOI technology which is some kind of servo control of the voicecoil movement.
Maybe the flow guide design ? Also I notice you have the same 45 Hz peak I have , is this room or the speaker design ..

jlo

Also I notice you have the same 45 Hz peak I have , is this room or the speaker design ..
The peaks at 45Hz and 110 Hz and the 80Hz notch are all due to rooms modes, independantly of speaker design. But the amplitude of those peaks and deeps may vary depending on the loudspeaker model (response, position of speaker and port,...). What is here a bit curious is that the low frequency driver was at same place for both models measurements. And response of both speakers at those frequencies should be the same.

james57

The peaks at 45Hz and 110 Hz and the 80Hz notch are all due to rooms modes, independantly of speaker design. But the amplitude of those peaks and deeps may vary depending on the loudspeaker model (response, position of speaker and port,...). What is here a bit curious is that the low frequency driver was at same place for both models measurements. And response of both speakers at those frequencies should be the same.
fyi, the way I was able to avoid this was by crossing my sub at 140 Hz, eventually I would like to be able to do some room correction ie 2.1 setup and then cross maybe a bit lower, its till works fine now.

Docteur Poulet

Forum Donor
Looks nice, I noticed you are using a rme adi unless I am mistaken, are you using the eq to do some room correction ? Btw I also have a pair of A23 + E15 and am smiling every day..

I'm only using the adaptative loudness because I'm listening music at low level.
I will soon buy an Emotiva RMC-1L for a Dolby Atmos setup (I currently own four Rowen AM1C which are really similar to the old A14-2)
Of course Dirac Live will be used !

I really really really appreciate these speakers

Martijn W

I really really really appreciate these speakers

I can imagine!!

I am really impressed with the A-17M also!
As said earlier they seem like the better sized model for my application (home-working system) than A21-M.

The top-end is very transparant and 'airy'.
Also the midrange is amazingly clear and open.
It seems I have a room mood right around the frequency where the low-end output normally drops.
That means I experience a lot of power and a lot of bass extension. The subbass sounds slightly muddy, but good output and still very informative.

All in all extremely detailed, yet unobstrusive sound. I love it!!

Top Bottom