• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PSB Imagine XB measurements

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
Hi.

This is PSB Imagine XB.

00.jpeg

The impedance

01.png
02.png

The SPL/FR.

03.png

The low frequency goes down to 52hz (-6dB)
There is small dips in the high frequency.

The directivity.

04.png
05.png
06.png
07.png
08.png
09.png
10.png
11.png

Next is Harmonic Distortion.

12.png
13.png
14.png
15.png

The Multitone test.

16.png
17.png

We see a lot of distortion around 1 kHz.

The Multitone distortion for each SPL.

18.png

Overall, the amount of multitone distortion is high.
The distortion of the 96dB SPL is almost close to the test tone of 76dB SPL.

The compression test

19.png

Finally, the difference in frequency response due to the presence or absence of a front grille.

20.png

I hope you enjoyed the measurement data.

Chaconne

Thanks for these. I'm far less knowledgable about measurements than most folks here, but I'm looking at the final graph, showing what seems to me to be a comparatively huge difference in the response with and without the grilles, from about 6k upward. Is this as unusual as I think it is?

MarkS

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think it's pretty usual. We almost never get grille-on measurements, so many thanks to Nuyes for providing one. Ideally I would like to see the full suite of measurements done both ways, to help clarify just how bad for the sound poorly designed grilles (which is almost all of them) are.

Speaking of which, it would be great to get a picture of the inside of the grille for this speaker, to see what the drivers are looking at (so to speak!).

Beave

The grille on the XB is a plastic frame with interlocking lattices, with a cloth cover.

Grilles often have considerable impact on the upper treble measurements; but in listening, it's not nearly as audible (at least to me) as graphs might have you believe.

MarkS

I want to see the XB grille because that's the one for which we have measurements.

Trdat

Forum Donor
For those of us who struggle to interpret measurements and without the preference score it's really hard to ascertain how good this speaker is. If anyone would care to rate it or write a conclusion it would be greatly appreciated. Each measurment doesn't even have a reference or a conclusion so I am totally gobsmacked to be honest.

Top Bottom