• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Problem with Monoprice SW-15 Subwoofer

bandufu

Hello to you all, I have recently purchased a Monoprice SW-15 to use with two kali lp6's for a desk setup. Unfortunately I am having trouble with the subwoofer. I am using a Motu M2 interface to send audio from my computer to all 3 of the speakers. I turn on the subwoofer and it is dead silent, I've tried just about everything I can think of, I've switched RCA cables and cleaned the outputs on the interface as well as the inputs on the subwoofer and it's still just completely dead. I have verified that the RCA outs on the interface are working (I used them to connect to the studio monitors and had no problems) as well. I hope there's just something that I'm overlooking here, because this thing would be a major pain to return. Any suggestions would be welcome!

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
If you're sure it's getting a signal (and power), the best thing is probably to send it back. :(

Just checking online I see there is a "Power Mode" switch but since you're "tried everything" I assume you've already tried the "On" position?

OP
bandufu

bandufu

If yo'ure sure it's getting a signal, the best thing is probably to send it back. :(

Just checking online I see there is a "Power Mode" switch, and I assume you've tried the "On" position?
Yep I've tried both the auto and on position, both had the same result. I was curious if maybe the motu m2's outputs cancel one another out? That would be really weird but right now I am using both 1/4 inch outputs (for the monitors) and the two RCA outs (for the subwoofer.) Perhaps you can only use one or the other set of outputs with the M2? this may just be me being unwilling to accept that I got a lemon however.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you possibly have the Monitoring setting engaged on the M2, it may not be routing anything to some of the outputs.

OP
bandufu

bandufu

If you possibly have the Monitoring setting engaged on the M2, it may not be routing anything to some of the outputs.
Forgive me if this is obvious, but are you referring to the setting that allows you to monitors the line inputs on the front of the m2? The "MON" buttons that glow blue when pressed? If so I do not have those turned on.

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Try another source, maybe use a phone with 3,5mm to rca cable.

Are the lights in the back green? Or red, or blinking red?

OP
bandufu

bandufu

UPDATE: When using the "auto" setting on the subwoofer the power indicator LED light glows red which would indicate that the speaker is getting signal to the best of my knowledge but I'm still not getting any output. I wonder if this would fixable if I took the backplate off, I'm worried that would void the warranty though.

OP
bandufu

bandufu

Try another source, maybe use a phone with 3,5mm to rca cable.

Are the lights in the back green? Or red, or blinking red?
The light on the back is red, and I don't have access to that kind of cable unfortunately, this may be a terrible idea but I have a bass guitar, and I have a quarter inch male to rca male cable maybe that would be a worth a go?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
It should take no more than an RCA cable and touching the center pin to test a subwoofer, after making sure its level is turned up of course. There should be audible hum.

If you continue to hear zip (zilch, nada, niente, rien), it is possible that one of the cables connecting the speaker driver internally has come loose during transport or something (it's a cheap sub, sloppy assembly is always an option). I would ask Monoprice support whether they're fine with you taking a look inside before you go through the hassle of shipping the 66 pound beast back.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah I'd open it up and see if was something stupid like a loose wire. The red light on a sub amp doesn't particularly mean its getting signal, more that it's got some power for the light :)

OP
bandufu

bandufu

It should take no more than an RCA cable and touching the center pin to test a subwoofer, after making sure its level is turned up of course. There should be audible hum.

If you continue to hear zip (zilch, nada, niente, rien), it is possible that one of the cables connecting the speaker driver internally has come loose during transport or something (it's a cheap sub, sloppy assembly is always an option). I would ask Monoprice support whether they're fine with you taking a look inside before you go through the hassle of shipping the 66 pound beast back.
Just tried what you suggested and there was no hum, I'll take you advice and talk to monoprice tech support, if I were to open this up though should I take any precautions given that it's a powered speaker, I would of course unplug it, but should I wear rubber gloves or something? I've heard that powered speakers still have some latent juice running through them when they're off.

OP
bandufu

bandufu

The capacitors would still tend to be charged, and if you touched them the wrong way you could get a nasty zap. @restorer-john any advice on opening up amps safely?
ooh man that's got me a little apprehensive, perhaps I should get some rubber gloves. I suppose that might not help though.

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
Mine has a green light after powering on.

OP
bandufu

bandufu

Mine has a green light after powering on.
Man unfortunately my manual doesn't say anything about this and I can't find anything about it on the internet but it would make sense if that was an indicator that something was screwed up

OP
bandufu

bandufu

uggh the manual says to not open the darn thing because it has "no customer serviceable parts" so i'm guessing they would give me guff for opening the thing up, I'm still waiting on a response from monoprice support though

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
@bandufu I’m sorry, I now see that I’ve got a different monoprice subwoofer, the M15 v2.

OP
bandufu

bandufu

@bandufu I’m sorry, I now see that I’ve got a different monoprice subwoofer, the M15 v2.
No worries I think I'm just going to suck it up and return it. I'll probably save up and get an SVS instead. Gotta haul the beast back down the stairs again though ;(

Top Bottom