• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Should I replace Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 with the ProAC Tablette 10 (Signature)?

Peerke007

My current set up is a small tube amp (Houston mini 1998+ SE, 2 x 12AX7 and 4 x EL84 push pull, rebuild hard wired 2 x 13 W) driving Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 speakers and a KEF Kube 10b. Streamer is the BluOS node 2i to a SMSL D300 over a COAX cable. Listening mainly at low levels in the evening. I like to listen to a broad range of music like Sade, Janis Ian, Bassia, JJ Cale, Dire Straits, Steely Dan, Eagles, crooners with big band and such but also progressive rock like Camel, Pink Floyd or blues.

A collegue of mine told me that sealed speakers like the ProAC Tablette 10 (Signature) or perhaps the Harbeth P3ESR would be an improvement for my set up, but the use of the subwoofer makes me think that the ports of the Veneres won't be used anyway, but I really don't know. Very inexperienced in different speaker systems. The pnly upgrade I made the last 25 years was from mediocre 2.5 way standing speakers to the current set up. That was a major improvement, even my inexperienced and old ears could hear that.

It is not possible for me at this moment to listen to these speakers because they don't have them in stores close by. I would have to spent a day or so to drive to a shop, listen and drive back. What do you boys and girls think? Should I replace the Veneres with the Tablettes? Would that improve a lot and would the Signature be even better than the non Signature? Any answer from experienced listeners would be highly appreciated.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
From my point of view the older and smaller Tablette 10 is not really an upgrade to your Veneres, the Tablette has a V-shaped response, the Venere is warmer tuned and goes deeper and due to its waveguide has smoother directivity and sound power. The Harbeth could be interesting if you want a more neutral response.

Below are some measurements of all three which should be used with care though as they come from different labs:

I don't know though how large the damping factor of your tube amp is, if its quite low the impedance curves of the loudspeakers can significantly change the tonal response, in that case I would consider a loudspeaker with a smooth impedance or impedance correction circuit or a different amp with higher damping factor.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Is there a problem you want to resolve? You seem pleased with what you have. You mention speaker ports, so does the speaker an sub together seem not quite integrated?

OP
P

Peerke007

From my point of view the older and smaller Tablette 10 is not really an upgrade to your Veneres, the Tablette has a V-shaped response, the Venere is warmer tuned and goes deeper and due to its waveguide has smoother directivity and sound power. The Harbeth could be interesting if you want a more neutral response.

Below are some measurements of all three which should be used with care though as they come from different labs:

I don't know though how large the damping factor of your tube amp is, if its quite low the impedance curves of the loudspeakers can significantly change the tonal response, in that case I would consider a loudspeaker with a smooth impedance or impedance correction circuit or a different amp with higher damping factor.
Thank you for your reply. Damping factor is not known by me. I bought the amp 25 years ago. It was a special build by the manufacturer. Only 7 pieces were build this way. The inner parts were all removed and replaced by a hard wired circuit. A great little amp, but no technical data available sadly enough. It has a selectable negative feedback though. I believe it has 8 to 9 steps from minimal to maximal. It influences the sound from the speakers of course. I like the sound best when this negative feedback is minimized. It gives a bit more noise, but I won't hear that because of the low volume I usually listen at. The sound is more open in that position.

I guess the suggested improvement would not be noticed by me most probably, or maybe it would worsen the overall sound. I will keep the Veneres. Together with the Kef Kube it gives me satisfying sound to my ears. Only when I could make it much better I will consider changing this set up. You made it clear that this won't be the case. Thanks a lot for your trouble to advise me.

OP
P

Peerke007

Is there a problem you want to resolve? You seem pleased with what you have. You mention speaker ports, so does the speaker an sub together seem not quite integrated?
No, no problem. The Veneres do have a bass port at the front. My colleague told me that ported speakers are not that good as sealed speakers due to (I don't know the correct word) distortions (??) due to the bass ports.

I really don't have a clue. He told me that the Tablettes were ideal for me. Low listening levels, very suitable for the majority of my music preference and a good match for my little amp. But the Veneres give me no problems. I enjoy listening a lot and if changing speakers would give me a much better result with a relative small investment, I would spend some cash, but if the difference is neglect-able, I will keep the wife happy.

Top Bottom