• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pro goes hifi or hifi goes pro?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Most differences are more aesthetic or marketing to start?

dfuller

Major Contributor

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's just an amp. Benchmark markets to both professional and home users.

It's more like 200wpc, and also by quite a bit is the top dog tested.

It's more like a 100wpc amp at 8 ohm as spec'd. It has nice specs and measurements for sure, but is it actually worth anything in that respect in terms of audible differences? Or just owning "the best"?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It's more like a 100wpc amp at 8 ohm as spec'd. It has nice specs and measurements for sure, but is it actually worth anything in that respect in terms of audible differences? Or just owning "the best"?

Might be the best 100wpc 'power' amplifier, but if you want better performance across the board and more power, you'll have to stump up a lot more money than the Benchmark. Better products exist.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Might be the best 100wpc 'power' amplifier, but if you want better performance across the board and more power, you'll have to stump up a lot more money than the Benchmark. Better products exist.

To a point, but still likely won't make a very audible difference in any case.....

RoA

I like Benchmark products and in the greater scheme of things 3 grand is small change.

The one thing I don't understand is the one year warranty. A five or ten year warranty would instill confidence and be more in line with Bryston.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I like Benchmark products and in the greater scheme of things 3 grand is small change.

The one thing I don't understand is the one year warranty. A five or ten year warranty would instill confidence and be more in line with Bryston.

For products purchased in the US it can be extended to 5 years and OS to 2 years. But yeah, it's a pretty short standard warranty.

Making people send the amplifiers back to them postage paid is a bit rough. Those type of conditions are not allowed in Australia- the seller has to deal with warranty returns/repairs for the customer. Probably why is costs AUD$5k here...

OP
tomtoo

tomtoo

Major Contributor
It's just an amp. Benchmark markets to both professional and home users.

It's more like 200wpc, and also by quite a bit is the top dog tested.

I did not know, thought Benchmark is more at home in the hifi market. Than seeing the top measuring amp in here is sold at thomann, what is a seller for pro things, just surprised me.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I did not know, thought Benchmark is more at home in the hifi market. Than seeing the top measuring amp in here is sold at thomann, what is a seller for pro things, just surprised me.
Benchmark always sold to both markets, their DACs have been popular in studios since the beginning.
There are other brands that also target both markets like Weiss, RME, Mytek in electronics, and in speakers ATC, Dynaudio, Focal, etc.

OP
tomtoo

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Benchmark always sold to both markets, their DACs have been popular in studios since the beginning.
There are other brands that also target both markets like Weiss, RME, Mytek in electronics, and in speakers ATC, Dynaudio, Focal, etc.

I did also not know that RME targets hifi market. I thought they produce great audio interfaces.Whats not exactly hifi market. What else,dont know?
Dynaudio and Focal is clear, but they have different lines for that.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I did also not know that RME targets hifi market. I thought they produce great audio interfaces.Whats not exactly hifi market. What else,dont know?
The ADI-2 DAC fs is their first product I remember that they said it was intended for home playback only use. RCAs and IEM jacks are not very popular in studios but included into the ADI-2 targeting home users. And wow did they hit that target, again congrats @MC_RME I love my ADI-2 DAC.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Proac studio 100
Atc
Pmc
Yamaha
Dcs
Nagra
Wilson
B&w
Linn
Teac

OP
tomtoo

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Proac studio 100
Atc
Pmc
Yamaha
Dcs
Nagra
Wilson
B&w
Linn
Teac

You missed Bose. ;) Its clear that many manufactures serve both markets. Iam just not always aware who does what.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
You missed Bose. ;) Its clear that many manufactures serve both markets. Iam just not always aware who does what.

JBL
Celestion back in the day
Wharfedale back in the day
Accuphase even had a pro line.

1625224810715.png

Perreaux had both HiFi and Pro lines (same gear underneath)

OP
tomtoo

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Last edited:
Top Bottom