• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Pro" Active Speaker Aesthestics

OP
R

rogu3

No one can say It's not a sexy speaker
View attachment 303328

Maybe if you're into spiders ;)

640px-Eye_Arrangement_of_a_Hogna_Wolf_Spider.png

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is anyone else turned off by the aesthetics of active (mostly professional) speakers? I know folks here are big fans of Genelec, Neumann, etc. and for good (sonic) reasons. However, I personally couldn't stand to live with them because I would have to see them everyday.

Now, don't get me wrong -- sound is more important than looks. But I would bet these companies would sell a lot more units for the home market (which granted isn't really their primary one) if they hired some decent industrial designer and didn't end up with something that looks like a cheapo plastic outdoor speaker (looking at you specifically here, Genelec :p).
What look is good for you?

OP
R

rogu3

What look is good for you?

Generally, I prefer modern looking speakers (as good as the Wharfedale Linton's may be for the $, I'm not a fan of the giant oak box style) that balance practicality (waveguides, ports, etc.) with some distinctive elements like differing colors, curved surfaces, etc. without being too garish. KEF, Buchardt, and Arendal are some examples -- at the higher end, stuff like Focal and TAD.

OP
R

rogu3

Yes i can, it's plane ugly in my taste. I never heared it so i have no clue how it ssound, but that looks will never be my house, than the Danley Labs take was better.

index.php

LOL. They also remind me of the "gonk" garbage can robot from Star Wars.

gonk-droid.jpg

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Generally, I prefer modern looking speakers (as good as the Wharfedale Linton's may be for the $, I'm not a fan of the giant oak box style) that balance practicality (waveguides, ports, etc.) with some distinctive elements like differing colors, curved surfaces, etc. without being too garish. KEF, Buchardt, and Arendal are some examples -- at the higher end, stuff like Focal and TAD.
I’m confused. You don’t like these even though you said you liked differing colours and curves…

IMG_8078.jpeg

IMG_8079.jpeg

But not a fan of boxes with no curves, though all your preferred ones are just that!

IMG_8077.jpeg
IMG_8076.jpeg
IMG_8075.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
R

rogu3

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hah! Well, those are indeed the Genelecs I like the most, for those very reasons you stated. My original post was more about speakers like these, which are purely on the side of functionality vs. aesthetics.

genelec-1237amp_51075_1.jpg
They are made to be soffit mounted at studios, like this.

IMG_8080.jpeg

OP
R

rogu3

But not a fan of boxes with no curves, though all your preferred ones are just that!

I didn't say they must have curves, but rather something distinctive in their aesthetic to break up the design without looking cheap. KEF's have the tangerine waveguide and glossy finish with concave woofers, Arendal's have beveled edges, Buchardt has some nice wood finishes in tandem with a modern waveguide, etc. IMO, Genelec's plastic exteriors make them look like outdoor or PA speakers. They also remind me of PC speakers from the 90s, which is not the look I'm going for in my living room. Yes, I could care less if they were in a studio.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Genelec's plastic exteriors make them look like outdoor or PA speakers.
They are aluminium enclosures. It seems you have a set mind with no objective reasons. Then again, “like” is subjective, hence no point in arguing further.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I didn't say they must have curves, but rather something distinctive in their aesthetic to break up the design without looking cheap. KEF's have the tangerine waveguide and glossy finish with concave woofers, Arendal's have beveled edges, Buchardt has some nice wood finishes in tandem with a modern waveguide, etc. IMO, Genelec's plastic exteriors make them look like outdoor or PA speakers. They also remind me of PC speakers from the 90s, which is not the look I'm going for in my living room. Yes, I could care less if they were in a studio.

s-l1600.jpg
Yeah right ...plastic .
Why don't you see one or touch one in real life and then form an opinion .
Their quality is above 99% of what's on the market at that price .
Meanwhile your comment is just laughable

OP
R

rogu3

They are aluminium enclosures. It seems you have a set mind with no objective reasons. Then again, “like” is subjective, hence no point in arguing further.

Fine, but they look like plastic, which is what the designer intended. https://www.genelec.com/harri-koskinen

And yes, looks are purely subjective, so this was a tongue-in-cheek thread.

OP
R

rogu3

Yeah right ...plastic .
Why don't you see one or touch one in real life and then form an opinion .
Their quality is above 99% of what's on the market at that price .
Meanwhile your comment is just laughable

OK - I was wrong. They're aluminum painted to look like plastic. Apparently I've found the trigger for all of the Genelec die-hards on here :p

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
OK - I was wrong. They're aluminum painted to look like plastic. Apparently I've found the trigger for all of the Genelec die-hards on here :p
s-l1600 (6).jpg

Maybe these speakers are perfect for you after all :)

OP
R

rogu3

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom