• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Pro" Active Speaker Aesthestics

rogu3

Is anyone else turned off by the aesthetics of active (mostly professional) speakers? I know folks here are big fans of Genelec, Neumann, etc. and for good (sonic) reasons. However, I personally couldn't stand to live with them because I would have to see them everyday.

Now, don't get me wrong -- sound is more important than looks. But I would bet these companies would sell a lot more units for the home market (which granted isn't really their primary one) if they hired some decent industrial designer and didn't end up with something that looks like a cheapo plastic outdoor speaker (looking at you specifically here, Genelec :p).

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Form follows function I am afraid.
Keith

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There may be an opposite effect if they make them look "high end". I know I'm severely allergic to that aesthetic, and I bet a lot of pros are, too.

OP
R

rogu3

There may be an opposite effect if they make them look "high end". I know I'm severely allergic to that aesthetic, and I bet a lot of pros are, too.

Good point -- pros have no use for "high end" wankery in their products. I guess it will be interesting to see if some of these companies realize that they have a non-pro market as well and adjust their designs or offerings to suit.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Some manufacturers already have as transparent designs are just as suitable for domestic as well as studio.
Keith

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good point -- pros have no use for "high end" wankery in their products. I guess it will be interesting to see if some of these companies realize that they have a non-pro market as well and adjust their design to suit.
Well, ASR might help push things that way. But the comment above about form following function is a powerful reason for the shape of the speakers. All that goofy looking stuff on high-end speakers does not contribute to the sound.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is anyone else turned off by the aesthetics of active (mostly professional) speakers? I know folks here are big fans of Genelec, Neumann, etc. and for good (sonic) reasons. However, I personally couldn't stand to live with them because I would have to see them everyday.

Now, don't get me wrong -- sound is more important than looks. But I would bet these companies would sell a lot more units for the home market (which granted isn't really their primary market) if they hired some decent industrial designer and didn't end up with something that looks like a cheapo plastic outdoor speaker (looking at you specifically here, Genelec :p).
The Kii system has a modern and cohesive design aesthetic that I find appealing and its remote control is easily the most attractive out there. Also, highly rated by professionals and snobs alike! The D&D is a close second in terms of speaker appearance but lacks a dedicated remote that looks this good.
Screenshot 2023-07-21 at 10.15.11 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-21 at 10.20.17 AM.png

Ooops, almost forgot the KEF LS60 active speakers! These look more "traditional" and one I'd definitely consider especially when you take its price into account - "only" $7,000 a pair but beauty costs money my friends

Screenshot 2023-07-21 at 10.22.43 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-07-21 at 10.26.17 AM.png

Last edited:
OP
R

rogu3

Well, ASR might help push things that way. But the comment above about form following function is a powerful reason for the shape of the speakers. All that goofy looking stuff on high-end speakers does not contribute to the sound.
Agreed about all the goofy looking stuff, but perhaps there's the possibility of meeting somewhere in the middle. Offering different finishes would be a start, something other than plastic gloss black. I'll give Genelec credit here, as at least some of their speakers are available in non-monochromatic colors.

OP
R

rogu3

The Kii system has a modern and cohesive design aesthetic that I find appealing and its remote control is easily the most attractive out there. Also, highly rated by professionals and snobs alike! The D&D is a close second in terms of speaker appearance but lacks a dedicated remote that looks this good.
View attachment 300597

Yup! I too appreciate the functional but still stylized look of the Kiis and D&D products. Just wish more of the "pro" speaker lines would offer some models that look like this :)

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
View attachment 300597
Well all the 8Cs parameters are set by their ( completely free) app, but I know D&D have/are considering a simple remote.
Keith

OP
R

rogu3

That's great to hear because the 8C is still my "end game speaker" when I'm finally ready for a dedicated all-in-one stereo system!

Same here, though I'm switching out from actives (Dynaudio Focus XD 600s) to passives just to try something different. There was recently a pair of 8c's for sale on USAudioMart for $5k total including stands, but local pickup only. If it wasn't for the ~15 hour drive each way, I may have sprung for them. Ah well..

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Now, don't get me wrong -- sound is more important than looks. But I would bet these companies would sell a lot more units for the home market (which granted isn't really their primary market) if they hired some decent industrial designer and didn't end up with something that looks like a cheapo plastic outdoor speaker (looking at you specifically here, Genelec :p).
I have Genelecs in my living room…they are definitely an acquired taste, ;) but you get used to the look. In the right room I actually like it now, lol.
Btw, Genelec did hire an industrial designer when they were developing these speakers. He actually baked in the “plasticky look” as a design element. :oops:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I own the 8c's and think they look great. They also sound great
Keep an Eye on the 8C /Bacch thread for even more greatness!
Keith

OP
R

rogu3

I have Genelecs in my living room…they are definitely an acquired taste, ;) but you get used to the look. In the right room I actually like it now, lol.
Btw, Genelec did hire an industrial designer when they were developing these speakers. He actually baked in the “plasticky look” as a design element. :oops:

Hah, interesting! The "plasticky look" is an acquired taste for sure, but they do look unique, I'll give them that. Anyhow, glad you're enjoying them!

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Tend to agree - a lot of the decent, less expensive actives don't look 'living room' ready. Even a nicer (but still durable) finish would help.
Mind you, I do like the Genelec 'Raw' look (although the significant other disagrees).

Top Bottom