• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Presonus Eris E7/ E8 / E8XT problems to find tweeter replacement

YonnyMestampo

Just recently got a pair of Presonus Eris E8 monitors.
The tweeter in one of them had a problem.
After looking through the net in hope to find a solution coming from other Presonus users I gave up as nobody seems to suffer exactly the same problems I had.
Many people experiencing problems with the tweeter in the Presonus Eris E5 and E8 family. But most of the people solved it fixing a problem with the motherboard and cables, basically because of short-circuited issues.

I disassembled the speaker and extracted the tweeter to measure the resistance. Nothing was detected on my multimeter.
So I took apart the other speaker to measure the resistance of the other tweeter (the one that works fine) and measured 6Ω

So I began looking for the original tweeter replacement from Presonus.

No available parts from their store.
I'm living in Spain so when I found a french store with one available I tried to get it. But the store blocks the purchase from outside of France. No shipping possible to Spain.

Then found a 3rd party store that could make the purchase for me in that french store and send it to Spain.
The problem is they want to charge 50€ for one tweeter.
I thought maybe China has the answer. After all the speakers Presonus sell are made in China.

IMG_20220804_150428.jpg

This is the original tweeter.
And there's absolutely no logos, markings nor anything to identify the manufacturer. So I thought I could find a tweeter than resembles the original amongst the thousands of tweeter models in the stores like AliExpress and Alibaba etc.

OP
Y

YonnyMestampo

After a purchase of one that looked like it could fit, didn't work.

Let me show you the pictures so you don't make the same mistake.

IMG_20220817_104513.jpg
IMG_20220817_213052.jpg
IMG_20220817_213131.jpg

This is 8Ω and in the description of the product the seller specified its a 1.25 inch tweeter, silk dome and 50w.
I was guided by the description of the tweeter the reviews of the Presonus E8 gave back in 2013 when it was released. Most of the reviews also give a list of specs.
So looking for those specs in Ebay , Amazon and other sites I didn't found anything with the same characteristics of the original tweeter. I mean both specs wise and in the looks. The tweeter I bought was a little too small, has no heatsink and the dome totally is different. But it's officially a 1.25" silk dome tweeter. Still, not enough.

OP
Y

YonnyMestampo

So I then after keep searching through the list of thousands of tweeters found another store that had something very similar.
This.

IMG_20220817_121055.jpg

The one on the right is the original tweeter from Presonus Eris E8.
The one on the left is the replacement.
Both measure exactly the same as you can see below.
IMG_20220817_200522.jpg

IMG_20220817_200502.jpg

The black tweeter is the original, the silver one is the replacement.

I measured the weight too.

IMG_20220817_214557.jpg

IMG_20220817_214625.jpg

And the electrical resistance is as advertised 4Ω which I knew beforehand, it's 2Ω below the original. But this is the closest tweeter I found to the Presonus model.

IMG_20220817_120715.jpg

So now I have been testing the tweeter for a day almost, non stop at high volume.

Works good so far.

The original tweeter part from Presonus is TW25016-R and should work for the M Audio BX8 D2 monitor too. The problem is finding the tweeter at a good price and availability in some countries.
M Audio is a totally different brand but seems like the tweeter is the same.

The Eris E7 and E8 XT apparently use the exact same tweeter.

In AliExpress, a pair of these is 22€ free shipping from China to Europe. Took 8 days.

The biggest difference I have found apart from the colour is the volume knob position doesn't need to be as high with the new tweeter because the resistance is lower. It delivers about 50% more sound pressure than the old tweeter. I measured the sound pressure level with a sound meter by the way. Not talking about "earmeter"

Last edited:
OP
Y

YonnyMestampo

I measured the temps after more than a day with the monitors switched on, not playing music the whole time though.

Picture 1 and 2 is the monitor with the old tweeter.

3 and 4 the new tweeter.

IMG_20220817_221129.jpg

IMG_20220817_221055.jpg
IMG_20220817_221137.jpg
IMG_20220817_221024.jpg

The difference in gain is to compensate for the higher resistance of the old tweeter. And that translates into 0.3°C in higher temperature, if you pay attention to the maximum registered temperature. I scanned the whole back panel to find it on both monitors.

In the coming days I will replace the perfectly fine old tweeter in the other monitor just in case there's a difference in the sound stage. Me ears are not good enough to hear any difference between the original and the replacement tweeter. But anyway, it's a 20 minute job if you do it carefully.

nz850

Hello, I have a problem with my E8 XT where one tweeter cuts in an out. I am looking for a replacement tweeter too and have been struggling to find a suitable part. I cam across your post and it is very useful information. Are you please able top provide some details on the tweeter you sourced from Aliexpress? I am interested in getting some too.

Thank you!

Top Bottom