• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pre-amp for active digital / analogue speakers

prestigetone

I use the RME and send ( and attenuate) a digital signal to the 8Cs, it is a versatile bit of kit and as you say there aren’t too many other options at the moment.
Keith
The Lake People does the same thing for less, so it's just a matter of what I want I suppose. D&D doesnt recommend either when I emailed them.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
That’s interesting I have discussed the RME ‘pro’ many times with them, if you have multiple sources both analogue and digital it is indispensable, If you are digital only you could just use a streamer and attenuate in software, ROOn is excellent.
Keith

prestigetone

That’s interesting I have discussed the RME ‘pro’ many times with them, if you have multiple sources both analogue and digital it is indispensable, If you are digital only you could just use a streamer and attenuate in software, ROOn is excellent.
Keith
I am digital only so I have no need for the analogue in. I am thinking maybe the lake people might be the way to go in this instance. I need USB for calibration...another option is the Mutec 3 but that costs nearly as much as the Lake People but doesnt have volume control

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Foolish error. LOL

Last edited:

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The now obsolete Emotiva DC-1 would be perfect if you can find one on the used market. Analog and digital inputs, remote and volume control. And no I won't sell mine. ;)
I believe the subject of discussion was preamps that can attenuate a digital signal to a digital output...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I believe the subject of discussion was preamps that can attenuate a digital signal to a digital output...
Ah yes, your correct.
Momentary (senior) Lapse of Reason
Sorry, Edited

PKAWA

I would like to give my subjective opinion:
I have had the Topping Dx7 pro for some time and bought the Minidsp SHD studio to replace it and stream to the 8c's via AES.
To my surprise I prefer the analog feed over the digital, and my non audiophile gf commented on the two different signals that the AES signal is boring and less detailed.
I had come to the same conclusion but didn't share that beforehand.
I do not understand how this is even possible going from utp in to minidsp to aes out to the 8c's but it is what it is.
So I personally made the choice to keep going with the Topping and for anybody that is in the market for a shd studio... It's for sale.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
To my surprise I prefer the analog feed over the digital, and my non audiophile gf commented on the two different signals that the AES signal is boring and less detailed.

That only counts if she can hear it from the kitchen while blending margaritas. ;)

Top Bottom