• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power need on amplifier, tested with own music track

shal

Hello

My system have a lot of headroom , I guess...

Imagine : a 93db speakers with 240w/8Ohm amplifier (at 0.01% !)

Totaly overkill for standard home...

And yes in 99% of time my amplifer (that have meters) show that I never reach the 1W level (Yes, your read well, the 1W level, it's difficult to reach !!)

But , this evening I test , a personal music file , that I I have personnaly record :

Recorded with a smartphone, so it's saturate a litlle...

The looking of the record is this (this file is available bellow) :

overture_from_dark.png

Yep, no sound and a lot of sound.
(The trumpet between 2'10 and 3'00 it's me ;-) )

And 100W is reached and a lot more...

So I guess that with my 93db speakers, 200W/8ohm is the minimum ...

The record of the music during concert is : https://www.transfernow.net/dl/20230728djmbfetR/G8vlqVxS

PS: i try to offer full access to the gogole drive for the file that show meters showing large more that 100W peak on meters

PPS: with my 93db speakers , 200W is a minimum . why consider lower power amplifier on lower sensible speaker ?

Last edited:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
93db is quite good indeed. And 200W power gives you 23db headroom, so that would be 116db SPL which would be enough in most occasions I suppose. But since these are all logarithmic, things gets out of control relatively fast. E.g 240W gives you less than a db on top of 116db.

If you don't mind me asking what speakers are those?

OP
shal

shal

93db is quite good indeed. And 200W power gives you 23db headroom, so that would be 116db SPL which would be enough in most occasions I suppose. But since these are all logarithmic, things gets out of control relatively fast. E.g 240W gives you less than a db on top of 116db.

If you don't mind me asking what speakers are those?

Yes, you are right.

I am personnaly surprise to reach the level of 100W (without run out the room).

To be clear :
The record is maked and performed by me with(as trumpeter) with good record hardware (sound devices ). So it's musical extract with no compression nor distortion.
A standard/commercial record is too way compressed to be used at this level.

The video inside my first post is taken with a smartphone, so there is a lot of distortion of course. This video is just for show that with good material and good mind , 100W in these speacker is OK(or nedded ! ).

For instance :
Source: Linux computer
Dac : Lavry DA11 at 41 of level (logarithmic max level is at 60....)
Amplifier Yamaha PC2002M at -5db (not at there max level)
Speaker: JBL4430

The original record is available at https://www.transfernow.net/dl/20230805xMMCJL7h/NVaoSoce

Last edited:

NoMoFoNo

OP, what SPL were the peaks at your listening position, and how far is that listening position from your speakers? Without that information your post is meaningless.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Crude Power Estimate:

1696034712311.png

Last edited:

melomane13

your personal recording is uncompressed.
so the reason than required this high power with relative high sensibility loudspeakers.
this is the reason why commercial recordings are allways compressed and, as you reported, in this case 1 watt is ok...

NiToNi

your personal recording is uncompressed.
so the reason than required this high power with relative high sensibility loudspeakers.
this is the reason why commercial recordings are allways compressed and, as you reported, in this case 1 watt is ok...
So you’re saying thanks to the Loudness War, we don’t need any more than flee watt amps…?

melomane13

So you’re saying thanks to the Loudness War, we don’t need any more than flee watt amps…?
not exactly. just to say that all the recordings are more or less compressed and that the situation of our friend is quite particular, since he will never present himself with produced music.
To conclude, my penultimate amplifier was a Beheringer A800. I never managed to turn on the -10 db LED. so I sold it for an aiyima a07, which has a power of -4db compared to the A800. and i am happy

coonmanx

I rarely use more than one watt when listening to music. Usually a lot less. You can tell when there is a lot of compression on a recording because the power meter LEDs don't really move, they just stay lit up at a certain level. I think a Gary Clark Jr. CD was like that.

I only listen at about 60 to 70 dB usually. So I rarely have any use for more than a watt of power. Still, my amps always have more than that. One is only rated at 40 wpc and that is plenty for that system. Otherwise I have two amps that are rated at 100 wpc or more and I never end up using that reserve power.

radix

Major Contributor
Yes, you are right.

I am personnaly surprise to reach the level of 100W (without run out the room).

To be clear :
The record is maked and performed by me with(as trumpeter) with good record hardware (sound devices ). So it's musical extract with no compression nor distortion.
A standard/commercial record is too way compressed to be used at this level.

The video inside my first post is taken with a smartphone, so there is a lot of distortion of course. This video is just for show that with good material and good mind , 100W in these speacker is OK(or nedded ! ).

For instance :
Source: Linux computer
Dac : Lavry DA11 at 41 of level (logarithmic max level is at 60....)
Amplifier Yamaha PC2002M at -5db (not at there max level)
Speaker: JBL4430

The original record is available at https://www.transfernow.net/dl/20230805xMMCJL7h/NVaoSoce

I'm glad you have speakers suitable for the volume!

I have a similar experience. Most of the time, it's < 1-2W. But when I want to really listen at about 95 dB SPL @ 3m with still 6-10 dB headroom, I need about 290 wpc (about 104 dB SPL @ 1m). So I have 385 wpc mono amps. This also helps mask over any preamp-amp level imbalances, which I should one day really sit down and measure how the preamp out voltage relates to the displayed dBr values.

Top Bottom