• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power-Cord/ Power-Conditioner testing

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@escksu, please don't embarrass yourself by posting more pictures of stuff. Identifying diodes as DC blocking when they're doing nothing of the sort does not show that you know what you're talking about. I've spent a good part of my life designing stuff just like this. Keep in mind most of those emi components are not for keeping emi out of the product they are for keeping emi from the product out of the AC line so that they pass FCC and other worldwide standards. That's not to say that they don't help any other direction but that's not the primary purpose. Y-caps specifically are often more of a hindrance than a help for external emi.

Not sure why you linked in the laptop adapter because it also has whatever necessary emi filtering to pass FCC. You can see the mid frequency common mode inductor and the architecture of the power conversion with the large bulk capacitor on the input reduces most of the low frequency switching transients so that it's still passes FCC.

The Blu-ray player looks like the emi components you would find on almost every single stage flyback power supply to pass FCC, not to protect from external noise.

Dont like it? Feel free to ignore or report if you think it breaches any rules. I don't give a damm about what you do in your life. Not interested and nothing to do with this thread as well.

Last edited:
OP
Holmz

Holmz

Major Contributor

Spend your money on better speakers.

I’ll likely be sticking with what I have for a while longer.

(My avatar also should give a clue that I am not overly concerned with speaker cables… but I will replace them when the Mogami cable arrives.)

I suggest you find different people to respect for advice on audio equipment.

It does perplex me…

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It does perplex me…
Lurk ASR! Ask questions!

Also, I love building cables (interconnects) myself, though I have to admit that purchasing cheap interconnects might be more financially sensible.

OP
Holmz

Holmz

Major Contributor
Lurk ASR! Ask questions!

Also, I love building cables (interconnects) myself, though I have to admit that purchasing cheap interconnects might be more financially sensible.

I got the Magomi interconnect and Neutrik Profi RCAs. They seem to be adequate for me. I doubt I will be buying AQ William Tells or other oddly named legends.

Usually some of the reason is that I need (want) the length to be right.

I also have some Mogami coming for the speakers.

wwenze

Major Contributor
This is a very good question actually.

Because the manufacturer needs to have such capability too. Otherwise how would they know:

1) Whether their products are working out of the factory?
2) Whether the returned RMA products are really spoilt?

And yes, you can tell from the tone of this post, I am being rhetorical.

ADD: And I'm not even touching on whether that test is relevant as with the reviews here do. I can sell a chair for putting cables on and I can test and verify it's working because I see that when I put the cables on the chair the cable will rest 50cm above the ground. I can see that a chair is not working if the distance between cable and ground is <49cm and the customer can use that as basis for RMA. Now let's not get into what is the industry standard for testing cable-chairs and the effect it has on the audio...

Last edited:
Top Bottom