• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Viper Necklampy

Hi awesome guys, i was looking to those kind of.. Audiophile Sockets Shuko, also called Power conditioners i think, just to make sound my headphones into TA-ZH1ES Dac-amp better (I will buy that soon) but i have almost 0 Experience in audio, you do, oh, if you do, you knowings are golden.. So you can probably help me, i have 0 clues of which one could be for me, i would buy expensive cables of power of copper 7N by ricable, Italian company (I live in Italy, BTW if you know other power cables, better for the value, or just tell me if silver is better, need suggestions) 1m 130€ to connect TA-ZH1ES amp for headphones to Power conditioner and a 2m 150€ cable to connect power conditioner into my house's power into wall, yeah i know, those cables are overpriced but i want perfection sound and durability for my next new baby TA-ZH1ES, do let me spent some bucks.. Anyway, given my ignorance in this stuff, i need an help but I'm such a noob in knowledge, so keep in mind that i would like to keep the suggestions simple and not much complicated, so.. without doing a electrical surgery for my house (I don't want to) can i benefit the cleaning Audiophile socket? For 150-200€ i could get a good one that does really nicely the job? Or Spending more would give me noticeable better results? I see you have up to 1500-5000€ ones, that is insane for me and my setup, even 500€ i think would be too much, but, if you have to suggest some, please tell me, need help. Also that i'm Italian and with shuko i think would be harder to find something good.. Also filtered or not filtered, really don't know.. Thanks for the comprehension, and some grammar errors, hope someone can help me because as you can see i'm kinda obscured into those things :)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
buy something you really need instead.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When you want to spend money AND want something that will really change something audibly then you should buy something you really need instead.

OP
V

Viper Necklampy

I heard good things about those audiophile sockets..
When i will have an endgame dac-amp combo like TA-ZH1ES, some very expensive and good sounding, matched with expensive cables, i really don't know where else upgrade, really.. So i heard the best thing is about to clean your house Electric Energy, but unfortunately i think i can't, so i was thinking of those power conditioners, without spending an arm and a leg, but i things things are complicated, too much for my knowledge
I need help :(

OP
V

Viper Necklampy

I remember this is a newbie noobie newbie noob thread and i'm the noobiest here about electrical things into audio (Even the noobiest to spell it, you see?)
At least give me a reason that it would not audibly change nothing, i don't believe your words as they are
All i need is simple help, can't believe that nobody here can help me

Last edited:

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You don't need power conditioner. :) Good DAC and AMP have their own power stabilizing elements. Amir conducted some tests here which prove that in most cases power conditioning or USB conditioning doesn't do anything. Get good DAC, Amp, different headphones, speaker amp, different speakers. Don't waste money on power conditioners or overpriced wires.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I will tell you mains is very problematic and needs fixing.
You need to buy a regenerative converter running on batteries with connected to it a lot of L-C-L-C-L-R filters that can filter all frequencies between 100Hz and 1MHz and use ferrites and common mode filters with Y-capacitors.
They need to be audiophile grade and, this is very important, MUST have audiophile grade fuses.
Gold connectors aren't good enough.. they must be copper core with silver coated wired inductors.
Then connect that to an isolation transformer that is at least 1000VA in order to feed a 3W headphone amp problem free.
That isolation transformer must be shielded with a mu-metal casing and have audiophile grade mains sockets (silver plated solid gold contacts infused with beryllium) and there should be Peter-W-Belt approved foils between the enclosure and outlet.

The mains cables and above all connectors used must be high quality to be able to provide all your equipment with a 50Hz sine-wave which ultimately gets converted to DC where automatically all AC modulations are removed by the smoothing caps inside your equipment.
The small ripple that remains is then removed by the regulators inside the equipment amd the uV noise that remains on the DC lines in your equipment is further lowered to hardly measurable levels by the PSSR ratio of the circuits used.

invaderzim

Power conditioners and fancy power cords always sound like an easy way to get amazing results based on the way some people gush over them in their reviews. As bravomail mentioned Amir has tested the final audio output from components and it just doesn't do anything real.

The reviews and sales pitches on the power conditioners and power supplies talk about how clean the power coming out of them is but they never talk about the before and after for the audio signal coming out of the DAC or Amp or other component. They hope that people will equate cleaner power going is as improved sound but if it really did improve the sound they would test the audio signal at output of the component to see if it really did improve it.

Decent audio equipment already processes the power before it uses it. Heck, it turns the AC to DC before it uses it.

If someone plugs a power conditioner, a cable or any other gizmo into a properly functioning system and claims they hear a 'wider sound stage', 'better instrument separation', 'a veil lifted from the sound', 'a towel removed from the speaker' or anything similar it is BS. They may actually believe it but that doesn't make it true. There just isn't any way for it to do that.

A couple examples of how people will imagine things are better than they are: Penn and Teller bottled water and Adam Ruins Everything: Wine

remember this is a newbie noobie newbie noob....

As someone that was very recently in your position with the same level of knowledge and experience with audio you are at a crossroad where you can save a lot of money and have a really nice system or spend a lot of money and have an average system with a lot of gadgets connected to it.

I spent the money, I bought the gadgets, the add-ons and the replacement parts and I was never satisfied with my system. I'd plug in the new 'wonder product' and think it sounded better but then a few hours or days later I'd want more and I'd look for the next product that would 'expand my soundstage' or make my system sound as good as the reviewer said theirs sounds.

Power cables, conditioners, RCA cables, speaker cables, platforms to set things on, magic rocks, speaker cable stands and even the next DAC everyone is talking about will only work to divert money from making sure you have a good quality amp, good quality speakers and even room treatments like properly placed sound deadening and diffusing.

Last edited:
OP
V

Viper Necklampy

Ooohhhhh
So you're saying that Dac and amps already clean up the power
How do you think about Sony TA-ZH1ES AC/DC? Awesome stuff? So tell me here with TA-ZH1ES 150-200€ commercial power conditioner is like almost 100% wasted..
Anyway soldier lol, thanks to speaking a whole another language for me but is ok :p Could help others or me someday, who knows, i already read from this forum things from power was way way above my knowledge eheh

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Rule 1: If you start a sentence with, "I read on the internet...", what follows is almost certainly incorrect.

Rule 2: If a gadget marketed to audiophiles is not routinely used in mission-critical applications like MRI or radio astronomy, it's almost certainly useless.

OP
V

Viper Necklampy

Rule 1: If you start a sentence with, "I read on the internet...", what follows is almost certainly incorrect.

Rule 2: If a gadget marketed to audiophiles is not routinely used in mission-critical applications like MRI or radio astronomy, it's almost certainly useless.
Rule 1 can apply even to who says cables don't do any difference.. Anyway..
I got what you guys saying
Not the first time about those sketchy discussion but always nice to trying to been helped to me :)
I'm in this thread to speak if 'entry level's power conditioners can or can't improve my situation in audio fedelty with Ta-zh1es

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Rule 1 can apply even to who says cables don't do any difference..

It still applies to someone making a blanket statement like that. Cables can make a difference, it's just that there's no magic involved, just very basic low frequency electronics.

FWIW, I've had my system in at least four different locations over the years and never had an issue that needed power conditioning. And if I had, I'd have bought one made for the computer industry, not audio.

invaderzim

Rule 1 can apply even to who says cables don't do any difference.. Anyway..

I believe that is what is called critical thinking and it is a good thing when used on all sides of an argument. Go into it with an open mind but at the same time question all of the claims on both sides. Search out actual tests of the claims. As Captain Disillusion says "Love with your heart, use your head for everything else "

OP
V

Viper Necklampy

I believe that is what is called critical thinking and it is a good thing when used on all sides of an argument. Go into it with an open mind but at the same time question all of the claims on both sides. Search out actual tests of the claims. As Captain Disillusion says "Love with your heart, use your head for everything else "
Yeah i was just.. you know..
Anyway i hope tomorrow to be helped more on this ahah :)

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Power Conditioner

In that 'power conditioner' is an undefined term. It could mean almost any combination of the following.

a) Noise filter - a low-pass EMI/RFI filter.
b) Surge protector - although it's better to have surge protection at the home's service entrance.
c) UPS - note that many UPS's are not really UPS's!
d) Line voltage adjuster.
e) Balanced power transformer.
f) Isolated power transformer.
g) DC blockers.
h) Regenerators (PSAudio)
i) Power Factor Correction
j) I forget? But I think that there are more.

In any case, most well designed components don't need any of these things.

OP
V

Viper Necklampy

So I've heard by an electrical engineer that this item called voltage checker : Vigor V1138 - Verificatore di tensione https://www.amazon.it/dp/B001C9UVNE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_qjhRCbQAWPH95 Just a very basic item that he sais is very important to just making sure you Plug your cables in the right direction, he says he is very important in Hi-fi, i was going to buy it, this is very basic, you probably know, what you think?

Top Bottom