• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

power cables from amazon

izeek

I ordered a power cable from Viborg on Amazon. What I received was the exact cable but from Audiocrast.

As I screened through the choices I noticed that all the ads for different vendors all looked very much alike.
Same cable pic showing the cable components. Sometimes they are different colors with what appears to be the same plugs also in different colors and different names but they most definitely look to be otherwise identical(fraternal sibs?).
I'm pretty sure one company is making these cables and using different names to make it seem like more choices than there actually are.
They're pretty damn good looking.
0416211911.jpg

Can't hardly wait to drop it in. I've got 2 for my amps and one for the preamp.
Really, I was just looking to spruce up my power cords because the one on my pre apparently doesn't seat well and on occasion I've had to reseat it. Figured I make them all match fthoi.
I'll let you know how they sound after I've had them in for a couple of weeks. You know they have to burn in.
thumpsup.gif

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You'll let us know how they "sound"? Seriously? I guess if you believe hard enough....

OP
izeek

izeek

I think he's joking.

What scares me about those nice looking Chinese power cables is that they're usually not UL certified or anything (like most "audiophile" power cables).
Thought about that but considering that Amazon has been selling them for some time with no issues. Of course, they could suppress bad reviews.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Damn, they be some phat cables but they look like some kind of unusual device that doesn't relate to power transmission...

How much are these?

JSmith

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It doesn't look enough like a snake

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I have basically replaced most of OEM power cables with Amazon bought cables. A few of them look exactly like the picture.
Not going to comment about sound as people here would start asking for proofs...... They do look and feel much nicer than OEM.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So what went wrong with the gear's original power cords? As to those being good looking, meh.

devopsprodude

I ordered a power cable from Viborg on Amazon. What I received was the exact cable but from Audiocrast.​
As I screened through the choices I noticed that all the ads for different vendors all looked very much alike.​
Same cable pic showing the cable components. Sometimes they are different colors with what appears to be the same plugs also in different colors and different names but they most definitely look to be otherwise identical(fraternal sibs?).​
I'm pretty sure one company is making these cables and using different names to make it seem like more choices than there actually are.​
Yeah, I ran into the same situation when trying to find replacement parts for our old Whirlpool dryer. I bought multiple roller and belt replacement kits, and they had exact same instructions. Very annoying, because they would say they were a replacement for the right part, but the rollers didn't fit. And of course, Whirlpool OEM parts only have a few online retailers and are a lot more expensive.

But you see this with a lot of things like ice makers, sports cameras, or pretty much any other product type with lots of knock-offs. And Amazon doesn't police it at all.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I ran into the same situation when trying to find replacement parts for our old Whirlpool dryer. I bought multiple roller and belt replacement kits, and they had exact same instructions. Very annoying, because they would say they were a replacement for the right part, but the rollers didn't fit. And of course, Whirlpool OEM parts only have a few online retailers and are a lot more expensive.

But you see this with a lot of things like ice makers, sports cameras, or pretty much any other product type with lots of knock-offs. And Amazon doesn't police it at all.

Then again there are only so many actual factories compared to brands....

OP
izeek

izeek

So what went wrong with the gear's original power cords? As to those being good looking, meh.
The cord for my pre seemed to work its way loose periodically. There was nothing wrong with the other two cords.
Just BECAUSE I liked the look I said, hey. Yanno. Like how mags make your car faster.

Top Bottom