• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

power cables from amazon

egellings

Major Contributor
Don't know why you'd buy power cables for their good looks because they usually hide behind the equipment and aren't all that visible in actual use anyway. Maybe, buy just one, stretch it out on your hearth to look at and then use "Heineken, F that! Pabst Blue Ribbon" type cables to get the out-of-sight job done expeditiously. That way, izz cheep!

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Don't know why you'd buy power cables for their good looks because they usually hide behind the equipment and aren't all that visible in actual use anyway. Maybe, buy just one, stretch it out on your hearth to look at and then use "Heineken, F that! Pabst Blue Ribbon" type cables to get the out-of-sight job done expeditiously. That way, izz cheep!
I was thinking those cables would also help with RFI since those have extra stuffs for RFI.

From Amazon description:
HI END power cable, 100% mylar foil shield for outstanding rejection of EMI and RFI.

But now don't know if it has any validity or not.......

How can it reject EMI if it emits higher EMI than OEM.....

RFI? No idea....

egellings

Major Contributor
I could see where living in a strong RFI environment would necessitate special shielding techniques, but how many audio people actually live in such a difficult setting to really need that capability? I think it's being sold to everyone, regardless of the RF setting they live in.

Teeter

More Snake Oil cables........Whatever makes one happy.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I could see where living in a strong RFI environment would necessitate special shielding techniques, but how many audio people actually live in such a difficult setting to really need that capability? I think it's being sold to everyone, regardless of the RF setting they live in.
What would be primary sources of strong RFI? I live in city where I get strong TV and radio signals. Lots of great cell phone coverage. I can see wifi hotspot from many neibors.......

OP
izeek

izeek

Moving on please...
Doesn't matter.
Jeeeez. Guys! I LIKE THEM. THAT'S THE POINT. The entire point.

It does not matter to me whether I can see them everytime I look at my kit.
It is fun for me just like the mags comment I made before.
Taking the fun out of it in an effort to ground objectivity into what otherwise should be a FUN endeavor.
Tell me something. Is there any reason why we can't do something for looks? I don't see where this is different from the extravagant LOOKS of some kits AND room set-ups bought by someone who bought it for the aesthetic impact as well as the sonic.
Everyone that posted pics of your kit please raise your hand.
The difference is because you CAN'T see my cables, right?
Any hot rodders in here? Can we see that beautiful engine you have making pretty sounds? Bet that engine compartment is clean enough to eat off of. But who really sees under the hood more than you? Tell the truth. How much of that auto bling is because YOU liked it? Even if the caliber paint didn't do jack for brake performance?
Room for everyone here.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Any hot rodders in here? Can we see that beautiful engine you have making pretty sounds? Bet that engine compartment is clean enough to eat off of. But who really sees under the hood more than you? Tell the truth. How much of that auto bling is because YOU liked it? Even if the caliber paint didn't do jack for brake performance?
Those cars are at parking lot auto shows every summer weekend with the hood open.

Maki

You will receive no increased performance from power cord upgrading, until……You upgrade the internal wiring in your walls all the way to the Main Breaker, and in some cases, to the Utility Pole itself. o_O
Don't forget the wiring inside your amp, and the PCB traces. There's probably 10 feet of copper power traces inside the amp minus the transformer, that's the true final step. Don't forget you'll have to get transistors with upgraded leads too.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Jeeeez. Guys! I LIKE THEM. THAT'S THE POINT. The entire point.

It does not matter to me whether I can see them everytime I look at my kit.
It is fun for me just like the mags comment I made before.
Taking the fun out of it in an effort to ground objectivity into what otherwise should be a FUN endeavor.
Tell me something. Is there any reason why we can't do something for looks? I don't see where this is different from the extravagant LOOKS of some kits AND room set-ups bought by someone who bought it for the aesthetic impact as well as the sonic.
Everyone that posted pics of your kit please raise your hand.
The difference is because you CAN'T see my cables, right?
Room for everyone here.
I think my caliper paint means something...
; )

20191122_080056.jpg

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I could see where living in a strong RFI environment would necessitate special shielding techniques, but how many audio people actually live in such a difficult setting to really need that capability?

If you have a HAM operator in the house, or next door, maybe.

My Dad was, and Mom would silently suffer through "General Hospital" on the TV every weekday, with the resultant intermittent (severe) audio and video noise, while Dad transceived with his brother in Italy, with a big linear amplifier driving the antennas in the back yard.

"At all times, transmitter power must be the minimum necessary to carry out the desired communications. Unless otherwise noted, the maximum power output is 1500 watts PEP. Novice/Technicians are limited to 200 watts PEP on HF bands. Geographical power restrictions apply to the 630 meter, 70 centimeter, 33 centimeter and 23 centimeter bands."

http://www.arrl.org/frequency-allocations#:~:text=US Amateur Transmitter Power Limits,watts PEP on HF bands.

egellings

Major Contributor
True. I remember the CB radio "Good Buddy" interrupts in my musical reverie when that was a thing.

OP
izeek

izeek

Oh well. As you can see I actually can see them.
THE only issue I had was the difficulty plugging these in as the cables are somewhat STIFF @ 17mm thick. I had to do some twisting to relieve any plug pressure on either end.
Damn, they're cool looking, huh?:D

Reactions: GDK
Top Bottom