• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Power amp without decoupling capacitor, what does this mean?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, thank you, that is very thorough. I only partially understand, so I’m a little reluctant to buy this amp now. Since the website mentions the lack of decoupling capacitor explicitly, does that mean that it’s a feature that amps normally have? For instance if I buy a more consumer oriented amp like a NAD or a Denon or something like that, would it typically have a decoupling capacitor?
I've been running that amp on my Denons (first X4000, now X4500H) for a few years now, then started recommending it on the forums. No issues, great amp! Will probably get another for my center speaker.

raindance

Major Contributor
NO NEED TO WORRY. The amp will work fine with that receiver. Most modern amps and preamps no longer use coupling capacitors. What the seller is saying though is that the protection only kicks in at 12 volts, which is a bit high and may not properly protect your speakers should you have a DC offset somewhere.

Top Bottom