• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Post pictures of anything, with comment...couple words.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
my lady tells me I'm a serial hoarder!! :) I keep everything, documents, photos, books, furniture, wines from the last century, from my family. I spend great evenings there, reading, watching, ordering... it's memory, it's history...
Yeah, I'm getting more sentimental as I age and respectful of tradition and memories both for me and others. So I think we are on a similar page there.

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My great grandfathers gun. It is a Colt. It dates to about 1870.

20231012_223452.jpg

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
The "starting grid" for the 2024 Seniors Contest at Seminole lake Gliderport today.

1710288016700.png

1710288101652.png

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Like WoW Dood! That's incredble. A glider pilots' paradise for sure. So interesting to see so many aligned in that manner. That must have a been a hoot and a very proud moment.

I went to drool over the $250k gliders... Mine cost me $12k and is 44 years old. Its performance is maybe 60~70% of the top gear.

I didn't see any "for sale" signs.

Lots of motorhomes dragging glider trailers from all over the country.

Met Sylvia Grandstaff at the back of the line, in the "guests" area of the grid, behind an 18 year old friend on the fast track to become an airline pilot (his dad is a Captain with Spirit)... He's got a trip lined up to go to Poland for some big contest there, he said there's a group of 20 going. Probably this.

For sale?
Glider Classifieds

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I went to drool over the $250k gliders... Mine cost me $12k and is 44 years old. Its performance is maybe 60~70% of the top gear.
The only thing I can think of to understand the performance envelope differences is motorcycle dirt bikes that I've owned. I went from a pure dirt not road legal enduro ride 175cc 2 stroke Honda to a 2 stroke Suzuki RM125 motocross racing ride that cost muchO more, is all lightweight exotic materials, has interesting geometry of the design and it was a totally different ride. The performance envelope of the RM125 was extreme, required strong skills and good confidence in the operation of it. I was wheelying long distance, jumping huge stuff as I hucked off major jumps never imaginable before and hill climbing very steep slopes that where massively tall like hundreds of meters that I never imagined possible with the enduro style Honda 175 2 stroke. The big weight disparity was a major factor in the change and the improved suspension was night and day. So I imagine those expensive new improved gliders can do some really rad stuff.
Met Sylvia Grandstaff at the back of the line, in the "guests" area of the grid, behind an 18 year old friend on the fast track to become an airline pilot (his dad is a Captain with Spirit)... He's got a trip lined up to go to Poland for some big contest there, he said there's a group of 20 going. Probably this.
He the 18 year old is going to have a very intriguing interesting life ahead for sure. He's off to a great start that is only going to get better. Lotsa fun I bet!

Have you any plans or ideas about upgrading to a different airframe or is this present model that you own the choice for forever in time? I mean can you manage a high performance new technology glider and do you have the location and support required to use it?

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Have you any plans or ideas about upgrading to a different airframe or is this present model that you own the choice for forever in time? I mean can you manage a high performance new technology glider and do you have the location and support required to use it?
No plans, just wishful thinking. If you want to buy a new one, put down a deposit and wait a couple of years for it to be built and shipped from Europe or South Africa. Most being built now include either a sustainer (keep you up) or self-launching electric or gas engine. I doubt there are any "in stock" anywhere in the US. And if there are, they would probably command a premium price for being available right now.

So, I look at the For Sale stuff now an then.

Mine was made in the US, but I don't think there are any made here now. The sport is much more popular overseas.

Better gliders are faster, mainly. All have a pretty slow stall speed. Some are more "friendly" than others if you let it get away from you.

There's plenty of expertise at the club.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Most being built now include either a sustainer (keep you up) or self-launching electric or gas engine
Yes, I saw YouTube videos about that motorized glider stuff after I viewed video that you posted I was linked to other YouTube videos and I was hours into watching glider videos..LoL... Interesting stuff. :D

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
First second honeymoon (25) on the left, second second honeymoon (40) on the right (and yes, Mrs. H took the photos -- she really was there! ;) ).
lucky you, i guess...unlike most of us others you seem to have lost some weight with age :)

nobodynoz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Villa_Leopolda_Villefranche-sur-Mer.JPG

villa_la_leopolda.jpg

Property called "LA LEOPOLDA" located at Villefranche-sur-Mer, South of France, by the Mediterranean Sea... what you see is 1/3 of the property. The price is estimated at 500.000.000 €uros. There's a helipad, of course and a yacht...

Attachments

• Villa_Leopolda_Villefranche-sur-Mer.JPG
    Villa_Leopolda_Villefranche-sur-Mer.JPG
    344.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Speedskater

Major Contributor
a] How do they launch all those gliders and how long does it take?
b] If a thunderstorm pops up on the horizon how do they land all those gliders?

Mikig

image.jpg

Let's see if there are any enthusiasts...this is the last one I kept, never used. the first was a Thunder Shot, followed by Porsche 959 Tamiya then Baja Growler with chain, Tamiya Avante, then Top Gun it was called perhaps, more than 30 years have passed with a combustion engine, then Schumacher Cougar and this... how many beautiful moments …

Mikig

90D11BF1-C839-47C0-A64E-9C018EDCEF85.jpeg

Quad 77 Preamplifier

note that the Quad 77 has all the electronics upside down! in fact it is positioned and attached to the top of the box....

Last edited:
Top Bottom