• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Post pictures of anything, with comment...couple words.

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wonderful photo, love dragonflies. Last year during the 'rona shutdowns I went to a local wildlife sanctuary to walk some trails, and on a certain trail there were literally thousands of them of every description buzzing around in a shaded section for about a 1/4 mile, it was incredible.

Dmitri

Forum Donor
BD9FECEF-4C5B-412D-9CB3-49669D1B12FD.jpeg
More from “The Swamp.” From a vernal pool on my sister’s property.

Dmitri

Forum Donor
9BFA5996-CF62-4B50-9DBD-A33AC6CF0FCB.jpeg
...and from the pollinator meadow she has created in her front yard. It is truly a magical place, but lots of deer flies!
5EA7450C-00E6-4B31-8BBE-D895B6AEE621.jpeg
Apparently they like the color blue. Smear on some sticky bug goop on the blue tape and you are a mobile deer fly trap.

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
Briefly, what camera and lenses are you using? And bear in mind that although I have a run-of-the-mill Canon Rebel, I can barely use it, so use small words :confused:

Dmitri

Forum Donor
Briefly, what camera and lenses are you using? And bear in mind that although I have a run-of-the-mill Canon Rebel, I can barely use it, so use small words :confused:
Nikon D500, multiple lenses accumulated over time. Pretty sure the bee shot was a Tamron 70-200 mm f2.8 G2. Missed the focus a bit, but that was my bad. Great lens for the money. Hats were taken with the Nikon 16-80 f2.8/4. I’ll get you more detail, with some explanation, in a PM.

faheem

Forum Donor
Nikon D500, multiple lenses accumulated over time. Pretty sure the bee shot was a Tamron 70-200 mm f2.8 G2. Missed the focus a bit, but that was my bad. Great lens for the money. Hats were taken with the Nikon 16-80 f2.8/4. I’ll get you more detail, with some explanation, in a PM.

Ex D500 owner here. Great camera, I don't believe in bad cameras but there's a few I've used, that have stood out as genuinely great.The D500 is one of my top 3.

Last edited:

Dmitri

Forum Donor
Ex D500 owner here. Great camera, I don't believe in bad cameras but there's a few I've used in my life that have stood out as genuinely great.The D500 is one of my top 3.

True that. It’s a wonderful camera. I do a lot of hiking, so I wanted the smaller APSC platform and the crop system reach on the telephoto. The D500’s also tough enough to take the occasional hit. My last DSLR. Next will be mirrorless, full frame. Gonna be a weird transition, but it’s the future that is.
Us old guys just gotta suck it up. :facepalm: ;)

faheem

Forum Donor
True that. It’s a wonderful camera. I do a lot of hiking, so I wanted the smaller APSC platform and the crop system reach on the telephoto. The D500’s also tough enough to take the occasional hit. My last DSLR. Next will be mirrorless, full frame. Gonna be a weird transition, but it’s the future that is.
Us old guys just gotta suck it up. :facepalm:;)
Haha. i went the opposite. I'm a prime shooter. Got tired of lugging around a 500f4, went the M43 route. 200mm f2.8 with 1.4x tele. I think the " Big Lens " comments were getting to me more than the weight.
IMG_20190603_184016.jpg

Dmitri

Forum Donor
Haha. i went the opposite. I'm a prime shooter. Got tired of lugging around a 500f4, went the M43 route. 200mm f2.8 with 1.4x tele. I think the " Big Lens " comments were getting to me more than the weight. View attachment 139374
Nice. Your lenses are worth more than my car. ; ) ...And incredible tools. Envy is mine. Quite the transition from system to system too. Bet that took awhile to master!

faheem

Forum Donor
Nice. Your lenses are worth more than my car. ; ) ...And incredible tools. Envy is mine. Quite the transition from system to system too. Bet that took awhile to master!

haha, I have 2 blindspots, audio and photography. I was familiar with Olympus from using them a few years back. Very similar to Nikon. Twin dial setup, Customizable in very similar ways, button layout as well, so was an easy shift, rather than a jump. If I'd gone Sony, that may have been a much steeper learning curve

Dmitri

Forum Donor
Hey, add woodworking to the list and you can join me in the poorhouse.

Think I’ll probably stick with the Nikon line and their exceptional customer service...:rolleyes: I’m pretty slow on the learning curve as is. I do little more with my current camera then what I did with my old Nikon FM, except for manipulating the focus point and adjusting EV. Plus I chimp all the time and often retake the shot. Pitiful, I know. Thom Hogan wouldn’t give me the time of day.
Still. I love the craft.
Enjoy!

Top Bottom