• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Portable Laptop speakers

CVHManchester

I travel for work using just a carry on case. Anything put in there (computer, clothes, toiletries work samples etc) needs to be as small and light as possible. I am looking for a stereo pair of speakers, preferably wired in (I don't want the weight or bulk of batteries etc).
About 15 years ago, I bought a pair of X-mini max v1.1. capsule speakers which filled the specs well. The collapsible matching pair is about the size of a goose egg. Although the red paint went sticky after 8 years so had to be paint stripped off, they have only now given up. X-Mini has inflated each aspect of its product range, so it does not have anything suitable like the one I bought.

Are there any comparable speakers on the market now? The highest priority is the small size/weight, with sound quality very close behind.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
Check computer speakers otherwise some small monitor speakers would be.
Mackie CR2-X
KRK GO AUX3
Reftone LD-3B

HeadDoc12

Forum Donor
I have zero idea how they sound, but Amazon has a pair of usb-powered speakers for $28 consisting of a pair of cubes that are 3.15 inches on each side - the brand is moloroll. I like my Creative Pebbles, but they are the size of grapefruits, and if you need small, these might fit the bill.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
KRK has a new line of portables

1707132995371.png

CVHManchester

Thank you. It is good to have people with such resources and enthusiasm.
However, I am looking for speakers that bridge the gap between plane and hotel, where my laptop is used on my lap or bed and they have to fit (weight and size) in my carry on luggage.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
However, I am looking for speakers that bridge the gap between plane and hotel, where my laptop is used on my lap or bed and they have to fit (weight and size) in my carry on luggage.

I don't think anything below 3" will sound any better than a laptop with good internal speakers on it's own

staticV3

Master Contributor
The smallest, quality mains powered speakers are stuff like the iLoud Micro, Genelec 8010a, Kanto ORA.

If you want something even smaller, then battery-powered Bluetooth speakers are your only choice.

Nowadays, many of them come with stereo pairing functionality.

If you want ultimate compactness, then I'd look into the new Minirig 4, the Stormbox Micro 2, or the Soundcore Mini 3.

CVHManchester

Thank you both for your pointers to a solution.
Because weight and size are the primary criteria (followed closely by quality) for every choice of what goes into my carry-on, I bought a Dell XPS 13, with tinny speakers. Every gram is counted including the weight of USB C adapters, memory sticks etc.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thank you both for your pointers to a solution.
Because weight and size are the primary criteria (followed closely by quality) for every choice of what goes into my carry-on, I bought a Dell XPS 13, with tinny speakers. Every gram is counted including the weight of USB C adapters, memory sticks etc.
Here are three BT speakers that support Stereo pairing:
(weight is per pair)

-Bose SoundLink Micro: 580g

-Tribit Stormbox Micro 2: 630g

-Minirig Mini 2: 624g

You can find sound comparisons online from Alan Ross Reviews and Oluv's Gadgets:
https://www.patreon.com/oluvsgadgets

Top Bottom