• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please need help - Is the AVC-X4800H enough for my speakers?

P100D

Hello everyone,

Last year I bought a set of new speakers before moving overseas, and now I'm in the process of buying a receiver.
Speakers: 2 Klipsch RP-8000F (150W), a center Klipsch RP-504C, 4 Klipsch RP-600M (surround) and 2 RP-500SA (atmos).

I set my eyes on the Denon AVC-X4800H, but I see it's only 125W. I realize is less than 150W however don't want to buy any extra boxes, will I be ok?
They don't have anything higher and newer (6700 is old and has some downsides).
I spoke with Klipsch and they said it should be fine although no headroom...

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks!

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Welcome to ASR.

X4800H was reviewed by Amir:

It's designed competently, so you can rest assured it will perform as expected.
It has room correction called MultEQ XT32, which is fine.
But it can also be upgraded to support room correction Dirac Live for US$350 (link here).

Personally, if I felt that I needed more power beyond an AVR (which is totally case specific to your room, listening SPL levels, speakers, etc), then I would buy either a 2 or 3 channel class D amplifiers (from Purifi or HypeX) and offload the amplification for your L-R or L-C-R speakers. See Matias spreadsheet for best performing amplifiers.

In other words, this is an excellent choice of an AVR, and one that I would choose myself in the future.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome to ASR!

The Denon AVR-X4800H is one of the better measuring AVR's and is an excellent choice as @sweetchaos said.

I would not pay too much attention to loudspeaker manufacturer's power rating. Anyway, the difference between 125 W and 150 W is tiny. In the dB scale, it is only 1 dB (= 10*log10(150/125)), which is a just barely discernable amount. Any slight touch to the volume knob will make a bigger difference (i.e. will push you over/under).

The RP-8000F as measured by Audioholics showed an efficiency of 92 dBSPL @ 2.83 Vrms. It is higher than the average loudspeaker so you'll have an advantage there.

Using this SPL calculator, with my assumptions for 2 channel listening and listening distance, you'd be able to get 108 dB SPL, which exceeds the THX reference level of 105 dB (= very loud).

SPL.png

I am pretty sure you are safe.

Jedi2155

OP has 9 speakers (7.1.2) I believe, which is fed by a 125wpc so I'm assuming 250watts total (might be a little more with more channels driven), but it gives a siimlar SPL level at 27watts per channel (assuming they're all blasting a once).

1687374744606.png

OP
P

P100D

Thank you All! I'm concerned knowing that if the receiver has more power then needed but not excessive that is usually the ideal setup, and underpowering could damage the speaker and receiver. Over powering could damage the speaker.

So from that perspective I should be ok then? The room is not that big (10x8 meters), so I will not be driving near max...

Jedi2155

No such thing as amplifier overpowering the speakers.

Speakers draw/pull power from amplifier as you turn up the volume.

Amplifier doesn’t push power to the speakers.
Correct, having more power is like having more money in your bank account. Having excess money is unlikely to cause you to go bankrupt all of a sudden. ;)

OP
P

P100D

Thank you All, it sounds like I should not have any issues pairing this 125W receiver with 150W speakers.

Gunbarrel

Welcome to ASR!

The Denon AVR-X4800H is one of the better measuring AVR's and is an excellent choice as @sweetchaos said.

I would not pay too much attention to loudspeaker manufacturer's power rating. Anyway, the difference between 125 W and 150 W is tiny. In the dB scale, it is only 1 dB (= 10*log10(150/125)), which is a just barely discernable amount. Any slight touch to the volume knob will make a bigger difference (i.e. will push you over/under).

The RP-8000F as measured by Audioholics showed an efficiency of 92 dBSPL @ 2.83 Vrms. It is higher than the average loudspeaker so you'll have an advantage there.

Using this SPL calculator, with my assumptions for 2 channel listening and listening distance, you'd be able to get 108 dB SPL, which exceeds the THX reference level of 105 dB (= very loud).

View attachment 294042

I am pretty sure you are safe.
Hello, I have a same question. I have 5 speakers max 250watts 8om. Will be enough this AVR-X4800H? Or I need something more?
Thank you for reply.

Beave

Major Contributor
Hello, I have a same question. I have 5 speakers max 250watts 8om. Will be enough this AVR-X4800H? Or I need something more?
Thank you for reply.

It all depends on exactly what speakers you have, how big your room is, how far away you sit from the speakers, what content you're playing, and how loud you're playing it. In other words, it's hard to give a simple yes or no answer.

Gunbarrel

It all depends on exactly what speakers you have, how big your room is, how far away you sit from the speakers, what content you're playing, and how loud you're playing it. In other words, it's hard to give a simple yes or no answer.
Room is 55m2. Speakers are 5-6m from people. Mostly for cinema.

delta76

Major Contributor
I am using x4700h driving 5.1 and it is around < 1w total at normal playing loudness (idle = 83w, playing = 84w). So unless you play very loud (and in most cases, I'd be more worried about your ears or your neighbors) you'll be just fine.

bigjohns97

I have a very similar setup and find the Denon x3800 is plenty. I crossover at 80hz because I find leaving the default crossover of 40hz on the floor standers and 60hz for the 504c and RP-500's leaves me with much less bass than crossing over at 80hz.

This also relieves the receiver of having to drive the speakers at lower frequency which requires much more power than higher ones.

SlaughterX

Yes the 4800 will power them fine. I am running more power hungry 280FAs on my Onkyo RZ50 (120 watt in stereo) and they sound great.

I would probably buy the Pioneer Elite 505 from Andorama for $650 if I were you though (also 120 watt in stereo like the RZ50)... even though I am sure no one on t his forum would agree. Pioneer and Onkyo are made for Klipsch (same company, it even has the cross overs for many newer Klipsch speakers already set). Also, no extra charge for Dirac.

Last edited:
Top Bottom