• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New receiver decisions - worth upgrade?

roq

While my current setup works (Denon avr-x3200w from 2015), is it worth upgrading to the newer receivers/processors? Wether it be denon or any other brand.

I was currenty looking at the denon avr-x4800H (maybe 3800H?) or other brands that are processor only (yes i would need another amp).

Current setup
Denon avr-x3200w (from 2015)
Parasound Halo A 52+ amp
LG C1 83 OLED
SVS PB12-plus

Klipsch RP-280f tower x2, - connected to parasound
Klipsch RP-250s surround x2, - connected to parasound
Klipsch RP-450c center - connected to parasound
Klipsch RP-140sa - 2x atmos on front towers - connected to avr

I dont really see upgrading speaker config as my room is 20x18 (couch against wall), most I could do is put atmos in ceiling.

Xbox Series X (direct to tv, sound via ARC), nvidia shield pro latest mdoel (connected to AVR), Panasonic DP-UB820 (connected to AVR)

I know a couple of options that i beleive I would benefit from
1. dual preset - its annoying switching from movie to music as at the min I need to swithc the bass level.
2. connect everything to receiver
3. Dirac Live - still on the fence on this one
4. better gui overlay? currently cant see denon overlay on tv when using xbox or antenna as they are plugged into tv
4.a eARC, is it better to connect everything to tv and just use ARC/eARC?
5. others???

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Atmos is a very nice upgrade. Your system would benefit from that. Also dual profiles and the ability to fully disconnect the internal amps in pre amp mode is a nice upgrade. Also audyssey xt32 gives you the ability to adjust the room correction target which is also a huge sound quality benefit.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
While my current setup works (Denon avr-x3200w from 2015), is it worth upgrading to the newer receivers/processors? Wether it be denon or any other brand.

I was currenty looking at the denon avr-x4800H (maybe 3800H?) or other brands that are processor only (yes i would need another amp).

Current setup
Denon avr-x3200w (from 2015)
Parasound Halo A 52+ amp
LG C1 83 OLED
SVS PB12-plus

Klipsch RP-280f tower x2, - connected to parasound
Klipsch RP-250s surround x2, - connected to parasound
Klipsch RP-450c center - connected to parasound
Klipsch RP-140sa - 2x atmos on front towers - connected to avr

I dont really see upgrading speaker config as my room is 20x18 (couch against wall), most I could do is put atmos in ceiling.

Xbox Series X (direct to tv, sound via ARC), nvidia shield pro latest mdoel (connected to AVR), Panasonic DP-UB820 (connected to AVR)

I know a couple of options that i beleive I would benefit from
1. dual preset - its annoying switching from movie to music as at the min I need to swithc the bass level.
3. Dirac Live - still on the fence on this one
4. better gui overlay? currently cant see denon overlay on tv when using xbox or antenna as they are plugged into tv
5. others???
I agree with Beershaun, it is worth upgrading from the 3200 for all the reasons mentioned. The new Denon also has 4 indepedent subouts, Auro 3D, and 8K, 4K/120 Hz for games. Equivalent Marantz such as the C40, is also great, if you are in Europe or Asia.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Honestly in the AVR world, its just best to use the built in amplifier. The Denon AVR-X4800H barely outputs CD quality through its preouts and its not really worth squeezing more watts with an outside amp. If you want the option of having an outside amp, I would just buy an processor-only machine.

Sony always had the best overlay/GUI

Its really preference. Using a TV has a HDMI Switch (via eARC) can save the ports on your AVR from wear but I can argue an outside HDMI switch hooked up to an AVR can do the same. When its come to gaming, it doesn't matter still, modern AVRs don't add any lag (Unless your using upscaling and using other imagine DSPs).

5. others???
If your into music more than movies, Sony AVRs would be a good choice. Although the Sony ES STR-AZ5000ES (that fits around your Denon avr-x4800H price) would offer a bit less features (Lack of Auro 3D, QFT & HDR10+) but probably offer more clarity (Judging how the Sony STR-DN1080 went down). That Sony has LDAC Bluetooth support, Center Speaker Lift Up, DSEE Ultimate and powers 2 more channels.

Auro 3D is a mixed bag, it can be good but the selection is very small. Realistically most people that own Auro 3D AVRs use Auro 3D to upmix DA/DTS X movies.

Top Bottom