• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

please, help understanding room & speakers frequency response

Esteboune

Hi All!

this is my family " art room", music, painting etc..

Speakers are Yamaha NS1000, Pre Amp Kenwood L07cii, Monoblocs Kenwood L07mii, TT Yamaha GT2000 and DAC is Chord qutest.

The limitation of this set up is clearly the room, piano sounds great though!

I decided the buy the Umik-1 to understand better the room acoustic and hopefully try to improve a bit the sound.

Here is a graph (average of 7 measurements), Var smoothing ON.
all curtains were closed .

What i believe is happening:

the below 100Hz mess must be generated by the odd size of the room, in particular the high ceiling surrounded by glass windows.

It seems that above 200Hz the graph is acceptable.

What would you do in my situation?

thanks a lot for you time and input!

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
What would you do in my situation?

I dunno. Do you choose the red or blue pill?

I can show what I did, which basically, is apply a little EQ, get rid of the low peaks - remove some boomy tubby sound that would sometimes be annoying.

1617766285573.png

I'm left with a bottomless pit of cancellation at 48Hz, which I didn't know I had until measured, which largely disappears when the bass is stereo, and the red pill led me to flatten out the rest of the spectrum, too.

The dip at 210Hz is dipole cancellation from the wall behind the speakers, again, not something noticeable as it is the lack of audible stimulus, and not an over-excitation.

goldenpiggy

You're dealing with a few things: the freq response of the speakers (the cabinet, drivers, crossover), the interaction of each driver in a speaker with the room, from its shape and content to its various hard and absorbent surfaces, and even the sound board in the piano.

The response from your left speaker will be quite different than the right -- the left speaker is right next to the curtain.

Time for a DEQX!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What i believe is happening:

the below 100Hz mess must be generated by the odd size of the room, in particular the high ceiling surrounded by glass windows.
That happens with every speaker in every room. You need to use some kind of equalization to smooth out the peaks in bass. You can get an AVR and let it do that or do it manually.

Top Bottom