• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PlayStation 5 audio capabilities

Monstieur

I have both the Behringer UCA202 and LINKFOR devices. They both work fine with the PS5 for SPDIF and coaxial output. They also detect as a headphone output and can be used with 3D audio for heapdhones (as opposed to 3D audio for speakers).

Tks

Major Contributor
Btw for people who are looking for Dolby Atmos, the PS5 doesn't support it. Better buy an Xbox series X for that.
Man, Sony really dropped the ball this generation. Theres so many lacking things compared to the competition on paper its insane.

Should have seen it coming with them going from being a loss leader on the console sales, to now making profit within 6 months of release.

I recall the PS3 being a loss leader for years. And when you compare capabilities, finish, and the like, PS5 looks like a joke.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Man, Sony really dropped the ball this generation. Theres so many lacking things compared to the competition on paper its insane.

Should have seen it coming with them going from being a loss leader on the console sales, to now making profit within 6 months of release.

I recall the PS3 being a loss leader for years. And when you compare capabilities, finish, and the like, PS5 looks like a joke.
To be honest it’s not that much of a big deal if your PS5 is not your all-in-one entertainment system.

I understand why Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos has not been incorporated so eagerly in the gaming industry because the industry already had object based audio and meta frame brightness for decades now. Dolby just standardised them.

Tks

Major Contributor
To be honest it’s not that much of a big deal if your PS5 is not your all-in-one entertainment system.

I understand why Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos has not been incorporated so eagerly in the gaming industry because the industry already had object based audio and meta frame brightness for decades now. Dolby just standardised them.
The problem is.. why wouldn't it be for anyone not going all-in on some dedicated home theater room?

It also doesn't help that they push the device with a Games, and Movies "mode". We go from a SACD player (hacked ripper), to a console that doesn't even have TOSLINK-out, and UAC1 of all things when USB is concerned..

My sentiment still stands with respect to the quality of console this is in comparison to the launch PS3's of the day. I could go into utterly inconsoquential build details (compared to the older PS3), and also correlate those details to how Xbox has handled their hardware design much better this generation. But I'm sure you're already well aware.

As always though, Xbox's games library is pretty poor (and that pathetic release with the Series S holding back generational thrust more than ever as if the prior gen wasn't long in the tooth enough as is).

Pancreas

so whats the best option to get surround sound with ps5 and speakers?

basically a usb DAC like Behringer or Linkfor?

You would need an audio interface with optical, then you can connect PS5 usb to DAC, then DAC to audio interface with optical/spdif

would this get you surround sound?

Monstieur

Surround sound for speakers works only over HDMI. Any DAC is treated as a headphone for surround.

Pancreas

Surround sound for speakers works only over HDMI. Any DAC is treated as a headphone for surround.

so basically there is no way to get surround through the ps5 except (ps5 to monitor HDMI with built in speakers)?

what about this option

- connect this to ps5 USB
- then this to my audio interface via Optical
- would the sound I get be surround?

The description says 5.1 is incompatible and set to PCM

HDMI extractor with optical, wouldn't get me surround tho? It should be possible, as long as you get an HDMI extractor.

PS5 -- HDMI extractor -- Monitor

HDMI extractor optical --- audio interface optical

audio interface --- speakers

BOOM surround

Monstieur

You can use a HDMI audio extractor to get surround for speakers. If you extract HDMI to optical then you need to set the PS5 to output Dolby Digital to get 5.1 surround. I don't recall whether 2-channel speaker surround with a HRTF is supported yet.

Pancreas

You can use a HDMI audio extractor to get surround for speakers. If you extract HDMI to optical then you need to set the PS5 to output Dolby Digital to get 5.1 surround. I don't recall whether 2-channel speaker surround with a HRTF is supported yet.

You lost me lol does this mean that even with an HDMI extractor to optical, I won't get surround on both of my speakers?

Monstieur

You lost me lol does this mean that even with an HDMI extractor to optical, I won't get surround on both of my speakers?
With Dolby Digital you will get surround. With stereo, not unless you see an option for stereo speaker 3D audio.

Pancreas

With Dolby Digital you will get surround. With stereo, not unless you see an option for stereo speaker 3D audio.

But how can you get surround if all you have is 2 speakers or a soundbar? Its gimmick basically

Surround is supposed to be done with multiple speakers and a subwoofer but if you dont have that how can truly be surround?

It cant be, a simple soundbar wont give you “surround” because it physically cant

It may only work for headphones

But if all you have is 2 speakers or a soundbar how can you truly get surround? It’s physically impossible

I dont have surround through my pc with my 2 genelec speakers

Monstieur

It uses HRTFs, the same way you get surround from a headphone.

Pancreas

It uses HRTFs, the same way you get surround from a headphone.

Is not really surround tho lol just a virtual simulation that can’t bypass physical limitations

I dont have surround from my
Pc with my 2 genelec speakers

My genelec are connected to Focusrite audiointerface

I went to sound options on focusrite and there was an option “spatial sound for headphones” which I activated but i doubt it does anything

I dont know what other way to get virtual surround. I have genelec 8030c and Focusrite Scarlett solo

So virtual surround depends on your audio card and if it has that option basically but is probably useless for most maybe it changes the sound a little bit

I mean what surround can you get with a soundbar for example no amount of virtual simulation toggle is going to break through physical limitations

So it doesn’t make sense for me to get an hdmi extractor and all of that just to get the virtual surround simulation from the ps5 settings if i only have 2 speakers it probably wont change the sound much if at all

Monstieur

All the current spatial sound solutions on Windows are designed for headphones, not speakers. The last speaker virtualization solution on Windows was Creative CMSS3D. Spatial Sound in Windows works only when the game or application uses WASAPI shared mode and requests a surround format while ignoring the system channel layout. Otherwise the API will report only 2 channels per the system channel layout and the HRTF won't work.

The PS5 has reintroduced HRTFs for speakers in addition to headphones in a recent update.

Pancreas

All the current spatial sound solutions on Windows are designed for headphones, not speakers. The last speaker virtualization solution on Windows was Creative CMSS3D. Spatial Sound in Windows works only when the game or application uses WASAPI shared mode and requests a surround format while ignoring the system channel layout. Otherwise the API will report only 2 channels per the system channel layout and the HRTF won't work.

The PS5 has reintroduced HRTFs for speakers in addition to headphones in a recent update.

In regards to the ps5, would there be any major difference between just stereo and 5.1 surround, when all I have is 2 speakers?

For me to get surround with my setup, I would need to buy an audio extractor with optical and also a new audio interface with optical.

I have Genelec 8030c speakers which only have XLR. Right now, I just connect my computer monitor headphone in to the computer jack in, and I get PS5 sound through my speakers, since my PC is connected to the audio interface via USB.

The only way to get surround 5.1 from the PS5 is with HDMI or optical. The audio extractor will work for that, but is it worth it?

Since is just a simulation, It means more cables and another device on my desk. Is there another way to get surround 5.1 from PS5 to my speakers?

Pancreas

This is a post taking about HRTF support with the PS5 and why outside of stereo headphones, you shouldn’t set your expectations high. Why a HRTF may provide a slight improvement to speaker audio but will not sound anything like the real thing.

HRTF stands for Head Related Transfer Function. I’ve known about this for years, way before the PS5 announcement. Fundamentally they are complex frequency/phase/delay/crosstalk algorithms... with the goal of simulating 3D binaural audio the way humans actually hear it. The whole point of a HRTF is to help simulate 3D audio, generally with headphones.

We don’t have 20 ears scattered in many directions, we have 2. The way we hear sounds above us, behind us and in various directions is due to how our brain processes the sound and vibration. The field of study is called Psychoacoustics and it’s a very complex subject. To simplify this as best as I can, the auditory “processor” of the brain filters “data” in a way that it can deduce the direction, distance, size, weight, etc of a sound. Sound from above for example, travels down through the skull exciting the auditory system, many sound waves also travel around the skull multiple times and many find their way into the ear canals. The brain interprets the small delays, pressure differences, cumulative pressure, phase, attack, decay, crosstalk, etc. All these individual metrics to form a mental soundscape of what’s going on, all in real time.

Fundamentally you only need 2 sources of sound, in the form of stereo headphones. A driver for the left ear, a driver for the right ear. Theoretically this is the perfect setup (disregarding headphone type). The moment you take the sound sources away from the ears and start outputting audio from a distance is the moment the soundscape collapses.

The more speakers you add in the form of surround sound, the better the directional effects and interpolation becomes - but they are fundamentally trying to emulate 3D binaural audio. Only a 360 degree stadium of point-source speakers can match and exceed 3D binaural audio with a HRTF from headphones.

I’ve listened to a state-of-the-art £50K+ Dolby Atmos setup. Better than anything in the cinemas for raw audio quality. All calibrated by Dirac room correction in an acoustically treated room. Even then, as amazing and jaw dropping as that sounded - the level of accuracy and precision for directionality with HRTF binaural audio from good headphones still outclasses it. The quality of the components in the room were near-perfect on a technical level too.

Which also leads me onto the next part, which is to truly simulate 3D audio the way we hear it, the conditions need to be near-perfect. What do I mean? Well I’ll start with calibration. Frequency and phase response ideally should be flat (for the frequency response, flat with a gentle downwards slope), with minimal to no external colourations or reflections. Surround sound AV receivers get around this by using room correction software like Dirac, which measures and calibrates the system to render a flat frequency response, a flat phase response and partial control of resonances. If the PS5 has no audio calibration software, no ability to hook up a measurement mic and calibrate the frequency and phase response of your system that’s already a large deviation away from near-perfect. Even if Sony does develop calibration software to use a measurement mic with, the software can’t correct everything, so users need to have a decent room with acoustic treatment of some sort (like acoustic panels). Without such that’s another deviation away from near-perfect.

Not just room correction, but the PS5 ideally needs the ability to set the speaker distance. Even if using a TV, for the HRTF to even have a chance of working decently the distance between each speaker and to the listener needs to be known by the algorithm. It also should have a speaker compensation system, so that it knows the general limitations of the chosen audio output - limiting dynamic range somewhat for weak speakers like that of a TV or soundbar.

Even if the PS5 does come with excellent calibration and setup software, if you hook up a measurement mic and apply speaker/room correction, if it knows distances and compensates for speaker quality, if you have an acoustically treated room... it won’t come close to delivering true 3D audio as is supposed to be experienced binaurally with headphones. The most you will get is a slight boost to the audio quality, nothing revolutionary. If none of the above systems are in place to tune the audio, a HRTF can potentially make sound from say a TV or soundbar perceptually worse depending on the room and speakers. At its best, it will sound like the basic virtual Dolby Surround Sound found in modern TVs, only slightly better... only for the one person sat in the sweet spot with their HRTF profile. For people with AV receivers and room corrected surround sound setups, the improvement will be the same - a slight increase in quality, for the person sat in the sweet spot using their HRTF profile.

Even going back to stereo headphones, to simulate a realistic and properly working 3D soundscape things need to be high-grade. Using compressed Bluetooth audio via the controller severely limits quality. Using headphones that have a poor frequency/phase/impulse response also will impair the soundscape. To truly simulate binaural audio with your own HRTF, you will need a pair of headphones that measure well, powered by a well measuring DAC plugged in via S/PDIF Optical or USB. That could still be thrown off if Sony doesn’t create different headphone compensation profiles for the HRTF - like IEM, closed-back, on-ear and open-back profiles, etc. But if everything is set right, a high-end headphone setup will genuinely simulate what Sony claims which is truly realistic 3D audio.

Pancreas

so basically with the PS5 is pointless lmao nothing will surpass good headphones with surround HRTF

doing a 5 to 9 speakers around your studio setup will create the experience a more immersive experience than just 2 speakers in front of you, but it won't come close to the experience with headphones.

Top Bottom