• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PlayStation 5 audio capabilities

stalepie2

Major Contributor
Sony just gave a presentation on their new PlayStation 5 console coming out later this year and a segment at the end covered its new advances in audio technology (38:24):

It gets into details about HRTF around 42:42, even mentioning the possibility of implementing user-specific HRTFs based on photos and videos of your ear sent in to Sony! (hard to believe, this, but it is only mentioned as a possibility down the line).

bboris77

We still do not know whether the console will have an optical out. The upcoming XBOX Series X does not have one. I much prefer using that then having to rely on USB implementation which tends to be hit and miss on consoles.

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If it has an arc return channel that would be amazing. I could use it with my preamp.

OP
S

stalepie2

Major Contributor
We still do not know whether the console will have an optical out. The upcoming XBOX Series X does not have one. I much prefer using that then having to rely on USB implementation which tends to be hit and miss on consoles.

Perhaps the new Xbox provides a clue:
https://www.ign.com/articles/no-xbox-series-x-will-not-have-an-optical-audio-port

My guess is neither will have optical out - that is a bit old-fashioned. Newer models of the PS4 haven't had them.

This article says that adapters can be bought which provide optical out from HDMI:
https://bigtechquestion.com/2018/01...-the-optical-audio-port-on-the-playstation-4/

direstraitsfan98

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You can just use the optical or arc out of your television, forgot about that. So, PS2 goes into TV, and the TV spits out the audio out of its ARC/Optical out. Don't think there's any television that doesnt have at least one of those. No surround sound of course, but I'm guessing if you have an HDTV, you also have an AVR... some of his two channel folks don't, in which case the optical/arc outputs are more than enough.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I run a cheap HDMI-optical extractor between my Switch and my ADI-2 and it works great. Latency free EQ and crossfeed straight into my Stax amp and video into my Asus PG279 gaming monitor.

It's a mess of wires, but it does work.

bboris77

It is a stunning design, but still no news on whether it has an optical out. :mad:

bboris77

Newsflash: no optical on any of the next-gen consoles, including the PS5 :mad:

Well, now is the time to start exploring other options. Either one of those HDMI extractors or another USB-only DAC. Does anyone know whether either Microsoft or Sony has stated that their next-gen consoles will support USB Audio Class 2?

SPiTFiREgr

Newsflash: no optical on any of the next-gen consoles, including the PS5 :mad:

Well, now is the time to start exploring other options. Either one of those HDMI extractors or another USB-only DAC. Does anyone know whether either Microsoft or Sony has stated that their next-gen consoles will support USB Audio Class 2?

I've seen a glimpse of USB Audio on a PS5 spec sheet. Only that, nothing else.

Both consoles really really really need to support native class-compliant USB audio after their TOSLINK betrayal

bboris77

Well, I have one of these HDMI Audio Extractors coming in today to test with my PS4 PRO in preparation for the arrival of the PS5. This is the one: https://www.easycoolav.com/products/4k60-hdmi-audio-extractor-with-scaler-and-edid-setting

I will be able to compare it to the native Toslink output in terms of input lag and audio lag. Plus, I will be able to report whether it is creating any audio/visual glitches with my current setup - LG 27 4K monitor without HDR and Topping D70 DAC. I will also test its ability to pass copy protected content.

I do not have any measuring tools to be able to measure jitter though. I am hoping that that is the only area where it can mess things up. I would love to see actual measurements though hint hint :)

If both consoles have the UAC2 support, the simplest way would be to buy a cheap USB DAC and run it to your current setup. Unless the USB output on these consoles is glitchy - who knows - again, measurements would be highly appreciated when they are released.

EDIT: What annoys me is the secretive nature of both of these companies when it comes to the technical specs of their consoles. I have already placed a preorder for the PS5 because it is super scarce and I have not been able to get a straight answer from Sony about the UAC2 support. Why hide this if the console supports it? I understand being secretive months before the console was actually announced, but hiding things after it is made available for purchase is inexcusable. Can you imagine if Schiit or Topping or JDS simply refused to answer a question regarding the specs of their currently available products?!

Last edited:

bboris77

Here is an update after fairly extensive testing.

The EZCoo HDMI Audio Extractor did not work well with my PS4 Pro. It is a tiny, well made device with lots of options for tweaking. Comically, it shipped with a mini usb power cable when it actually uses a micro plug. Another reviewer on Amazon posted that his unit 2 weeks ago had the same issue so it is probably a batch that shipped with wrong cable. Fortunately, I have tons of extra cables, so no issue there.

The HDMI extractor does not introduce any additional audio or video latency and passes the audio signal to Toslink with no audible distortion or dropouts. The video signal at 4K, on the other hand, started dropping out regularly after using the unit for more than 15 minutes. All my cables are HDMI 2.0 compliant and they work when connected directly to the console. I used a 2 foot HDMI cable between the unit and the PS4 Pro, so it is very difficult to imagine that this is a deal breaker. Perhaps it is my 4K monitor that is being picky, so it may work for others.

Back to square one for now. I am thinking that I will simply have to get another DAC that is compatible with the PS5 USB out, even if it means something that is only UAC1 compliant. Sigh, one step forward, two steps back. Let's hope the PS5 has UAC2 compliance.

Last edited:

TKO

I hope that something like the E1DA can just be plugged into the USB. that would be pretty useful. Otherwise Astro is coming out with a HDMI splitter I wonder how good that will be.

bboris77

Based on all of the things that have been posted so far by the third-party headset manufacturers, it appears that the PS5 will support PCM uncompressed stereo 16/48 via its USB output. Sony has not officially confirmed this yet, or whether their Tempest 3D tech will work this way.

It has also not been confirmed whether the PS5 will only support the ancient UAC1 protocol like the PS4, meaning that it will not be able to connect to DACs that support the UAC2. I guess we will have to see when one of us gets their hands on a PS5 since Sony is absolutely unwilling to provide this info. Go figure, if I was in their position I would be assuring people that all the DACs will work with their new shiny toy after they decided to get rid of the optical output.

I have an Atom DAC ready to go - JDS has provided a firmware that is UAC1-only for the eventuality that the PS5 supports only this protocol. The only caveat is that this firmware is a one way street - there is no way to revert back to the UAC2 firmware. However, it is a fantastic option since it is a top-performing DAC with a full 2V output unlike all those knock-off USB dongles that top out at 1V or 1.35V.

TKO

I suppose it depends on what you're powering I personally prefer more efficient headphones which do not require Chernobyl type of power to work. That said I do have an DX3 Pro that I hope will work with next generation consoles but remains to be seen like you said.

bboris77

I suppose it depends on what you're powering I personally prefer more efficient headphones which do not require Chernobyl type of power to work. That said I do have an DX3 Pro that I hope will work with next generation consoles but remains to be seen like you said.
True, the only issue is that I also connect my speaker amplifier to the same DAC. I much prefer having a full 2V coming out of the DAC to work with so I don't have to push my speaker amplifier super hard to get to an acceptable volume level.

FikhuBa

Stop. XSX has no optical out? Realy?

Top Bottom