• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PlayStation 5 audio capabilities

bboris77

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10/06/experience-ps5s-tempest-3d-audiotech-with-compatible-headsets-at-launch-tv-virtual-surround-sound-coming-after-launch/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+PSBlog+(PlayStation.Blog)

Finally, some details are coming out. It seems they will support USB audio (duh), and 3D tech will be compatible with it. However, no specific details about which DACs and USB audio protocols will be supported. It is implying that everything that worked on the PS4 (UAC1 only) will work but it is not spelled out exactly. I am waiting for the small print and user experiences before celebrating.

Last edited:

bboris77

Received my PS5 Digital Edition and as expected, the Atom DAC does not work in its default UAC2 configuration. There have been multiple reports that the PS5 DAC compatibility is basically identical to the PS4, so I was not expecting much. I am now waiting to hear from JDS to support who will test the Atom DAC in the UAC1 mode with the PS5 as soon as they get their hands on one. I will post back when I hear from them.

SPiTFiREgr

Received my PS5 Digital Edition and as expected, the Atom DAC does not work in its default UAC2 configuration. There have been multiple reports that the PS5 DAC compatibility is basically identical to the PS4, so I was not expecting much. I am now waiting to hear from JDS to support who will test the Atom DAC in the UAC1 mode with the PS5 as soon as they get their hands on one. I will post back when I hear from them.

Keep the info coming!

On the Xbox Series X side of things, only "licensed" USB DACs are recognized.

Veri

Master Contributor
UAC1 should work from first reports. Fiio E10K for example is identified as a compatible output device.

BARDUKE

My experience:

- E30 and D50s do not work through USB from the PS5. I have to connect the PS5 to my LG CX tv, set the tv audio output to optical, then use an optical cable to the DAC.

- 3.5mm from the controller will work, but for higher impedance headphones, the volume is not loud enough.

Tonight I'm going to try:

- controller -> hip dac -> headphones

- controller -> usb-c to usb-a adapter -> usb-a to usb-b -> E30/D50s

bboris77

metropolis11

I have been following this thread for some time now. After receiving my PS5 I tried connecting my only 2 USB/USB-C audio interfaces, however they are not recognized. The first one was the Zoom H6 (field recorder/interface). The second one was the B&O HiFi plus DAC (USB-C) which I believe is UAC2.

Veri

Master Contributor
I have been following this thread for some time now. After receiving my PS5 I tried connecting my only 2 USB/USB-C audio interfaces, however they are not recognized. The first one was the Zoom H6 (field recorder/interface). The second one was the B&O HiFi plus DAC (USB-C) which I believe is UAC2.
Yeah, from what it looks like they're not going to code in UAC2 support any time soon (if ever...). A $75 Fiio E10k would work if you want a dac/amp to work with your PS5 right away. Or as said above, the $100 Atom DAC when flashed to UAC1 firmware.

metropolis11

Thanks for your response, I will keep an eye on the Atom DAC and Fiio E10k. Just curious to know if there are any other DACs that are known so far to work with the PS5? I imagine most UAC1? On a separate note, just tested that the PS5 doesn't support Bluetooth audio accessories as expected

Last edited:

raif71

Major Contributor
1606639708292.png

https://mothership.sg/2020/11/ps5-air-purifier-taiwan-man/

Martin_320

Sorry if I'm missing something here, but why would anyone want to connect a PS5 to an audiophile 2ch DAC in any case?
I do plan to get a PS5 when Gran Turismo 7 comes out in 2021 (and after the first wave of usual hardware bug fixes etc.), however, audio-wise I'll be taking advantage of the PS5's 3D HD audio delivered as multichannel LPCM via my LG C9 TV's "enhanced Audio Return Channel" (eARC) to my pre-pro AVP. Why would you need any other kind of connection from this device?

Morla

Forum Donor

Veri

Master Contributor
Sorry if I'm missing something here, but why would anyone want to connect a PS5 to an audiophile 2ch DAC in any case?
I do plan to get a PS5 when Gran Turismo 7 comes out in 2021 (and after the first wave of usual hardware bug fixes etc.), however, audio-wise I'll be taking advantage of the PS5's 3D HD audio delivered as multichannel LPCM via my LG C9 TV's "enhanced Audio Return Channel" (eARC) to my pre-pro AVP. Why would you need any other kind of connection from this device?
You can also feed PS5-powered Stereo LPCM to a quality DAC/amp to connect to hi-fi headphones or speakers :) I believe that's what people are wanting to do here.

DosThou

And the 3D audio don't even support multi channel speakers currently (comes at future updates supposedly)

lanion

Thanks for your response, I will keep an eye on the Atom DAC and Fiio E10k. Just curious to know if there are any other DACs that are known so far to work with the PS5? I imagine most UAC1? On a separate note, just tested that the PS5 doesn't support Bluetooth audio accessories as expected

My Schiit Fulla 2 works.

TKO

Mainly you're missing that it doesn't work this way currently. Also the Tempest 3D audio works with any UAC1 dac, do you think they down-convert the audio to 2D? All audio for headphones is stereo anyway its processed, there is no such thing as 7.1 headphones.

Top Bottom