• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PlayClassics album premiere for ASR members

Costas EAR

Forum Donor
A free code No.100 for me too!

Are there any multichannel files available?

I prefer Dolby Atmos recordings, but ok, 7.1 and 5.1 are very welcome.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Excellent natural recording. Your mics pick up sound perfectly, preserving the signal to reproduce the image really. I can hear the flute, french horn on the left, piano at center, oboe and basoon, tuba? on the right on the 2nd track with my Yamaha HS7 speakers. Even the breath before the oboe performer plays is picked up perfectly

Last edited:
OP
Mario Martinez

Mario Martinez

A free code No.100 for me too!

Are there any multichannel files available?

I prefer Dolby Atmos recordings, but ok, 7.1 and 5.1 are very welcome.

Sorry, we do not have any multichannel.

Our project is all about pure stereo recordings on a fixed calibrated setup.

You can read about it here http://www.playclassics.com/trtsound

maty

Major Contributor
Harmonie Du Soir Ensemble, recording Modern Times at Musicstry Studios (Madrid, Spain, EU)
https://www.facebook.com/pg/PlayClassics.recordlabel/photos/?ref=page_internal

Resized and optimized

Harmonie-Du-Soir-Ensemble-Modern-Times-at-Musicstry-Studios.jpg

index.php

Last edited:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Omar Cumming

Nice playing

Excellent recording!

Thank you for your kind offer

MrGoodbits

Forum Donor
PlayClassics' "Stories - The Romantic Spanish Guitar" is another album where the music selection is quite good and the sound is very open and natural, but detailed too. There's enough variety within the album's musical focus to be both interesting and beautiful all the way through. For me, most other "audiophile" guitar recordings have a disappointing sourness that real guitars never have. This one sounds just spot-on natural.

OP
Mario Martinez

Mario Martinez

PlayClassics' "Stories - The Romantic Spanish Guitar" is another album where the music selection is quite good and the sound is very open and natural, but detailed too. There's enough variety within the album's musical focus to be both interesting and beautiful all the way through. For me, most other "audiophile" guitar recordings have a disappointing sourness that real guitars never have. This one sounds just spot-on natural.

All our albums have been recorded using the same physical setup (same hall, same gear, same mic placement)

The only thing that has changed over these years is the calibration.

This calibrations is just an eq to compensate for the things that could not be corrected on the physical room.

All our albums are always updated to the latest calibration so they all have the same sound quality.

It does not matter if we are recording a wind sextet, a string quartet, a piano, a guitar, a soprano, a tenor, the results are always the same; a natural sound with the presence of the real life performance.

This has never been done before.

No other technique/studio/producer achieves this results without having to tweak each recording separately (that is why they do their mixing and mastering)

A regular space will always deform the color/balance of your mic pickup. The engineers job is to work on the sound of that altered raw take to try to make it sound good. That is what mixing and mastering is supposed to do.

Mixing and mastering is a subjective matter. The quality of the results always depend on the psychoacoustic ability of the engineer. That is why a "timber solfege" class is included (or should be included) on the audio engineering curriculum.

We have develop a methodology that avoids using this subjective procedures. We have worked on a setup so transparent that it does not require any kind of tweaking.

This looks like quite a simple concept but it has always been believed to be impossible to achieve.

Last edited:

vavan

This calibrations is just an eq to compensate for the things that could not be corrected on the physical room
any chance you could share some details of aforementioned eq?

OP
Mario Martinez

Mario Martinez

That would be like giving up the recipe to our special cake. Plus it won't serve you any good in any other setup...

All I can say about eqing is that there is a problem to the way it is regularly used.

Eq software is usually designed in a way that leads users (engineers) to think in terms of peaks (holes or bumps in the sound spectrum) and I think that is not an efficient approach. The key factor to eqing is slopes not peaks.

It should be possible to design an eq software with controls that favor this kind of approach. That would be really helpful.

I may have just given away our secret sauce :)

maty

Major Contributor
Easy way, like my KEF Q100 5.25" coaxial speakers, minimum phase PEQ , MF and LF with few touchs < +/- 3 dB and high Q (aka less agressive) + rePhase -> convolution filter.

* https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...phase-vs-linear-phase.8762/page-7#post-225351

* https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...inimum-phase-vs-linear-phase.8762/post-253826

If the modifications are many and aggressive then the magic of the sound (music) will disappear. Of course, you can boast graphics on Internet :eek:

* Music: very good recordings with high / very high DR. Acoustic and or electrified instruments. Natural voices, without Autotune (vade retro Satana).

* Films and modern commercial recordings with synthesized instruments is other story. There you can manipulate much more!

pma

Major Contributor
Mario, I like to listen to your files in mono, through 1 speaker. Please take it as a positive comment, not the negative one.

Top Bottom